Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Smithsonian Protection Force Special Police Officer

Information about the agency training, moral, law enforcement authority, and are they really in the FOP thanks in advance

Series 0083
    I don't know much about them, but I know that if you go down to the Air & Space Museum and sit and watch them for a few minutes, you WILL NOT be impressed. I have no idea how they choose who gets to carry a weapon or not, but at any given time less than a 1/4 of their officers are packing heat.

Also, they are 0085 Security Guards, who hold Special Police Officer status ... I do know that.

From Wikipedia:

Smithsonian Museum Protection Officers are U.S. federal government employees that are designated as "special police" under the United States Code (Title 10, Chapter 63, §6306). They undergo three weeks of training in firearm use, arrest, handcuff procedures, and pepper spray use. They are assigned to one of 19 Smithsonian museums or research sites in New York City, Virginia, or the District of Columbia. There is also a specialized k-9 unit with bomb detection dogs that patrol the museum grounds.
    Last edited by DCPSDcop; 05-03-2009 at 12:32 PM.

Forum Member

Wikipedia is not really a great source of reference material, but i think on the mall only the supervisors, and K-9 units carry ...

Series 0083
    Quote Originally Posted by 2971511 View Post
    Wikipedia is not really a great source of reference material,...
    blasphemy ...

Operator
    According to the annoucement, it's a GS-05 job.....and GS-05 only....

Ick....that's 33K a year starting off......with a max of 43K a year....

You could find a security job in the private sector working for the USG paying more than that......

Forum Member

Sorry DCPSD just stating my opinion. But you are right, they are a guard force, not police in the traditional sense of the word.

Forum Member
    They are security guards, but because of DCs "special police" title, they are FOP qualified. Some do go to FLETC, but they are the minority. I was not impressed with that org.

One Night In Bangkok
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    They are security guards, but because of DCs "special police" title, they are FOP qualified. Some do go to FLETC, but they are the minority. I was not impressed with that org.
    They are not DC SPO qualified as they have arrest authority under federal law.
    I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
    They are not DC SPO qualified as they have arrest authority under federal law.
    Correct....as they are only 0085 series....aka Security Guards. They are not 0083 series Federal Police Officers.....

0085s don't go to FLETC.....

Forum Member
    Here is the new posting on USAJOBS:

SALARY RANGE: $42,209.00 to $54,875.00 / Per Year
    OPEN PERIOD: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 to Tuesday, January 03, 2012
    SERIES & GRADE: NZ-0083-07
    POSITION INFORMATION: Full-Time, Permanent - Federal
    PROMOTION POTENTIAL:07

DUTIES:
    •Patrols on foot or in a motor vehicle/motorized cycle as designated and is assigned to one or more areas of the park to prevent and detect violations of the law.

•Maintains order within the park, promotes public understanding of laws and ordinances and cooperation in their enforcement, directs pedestrian and motor vehicle traffic, gives first aid in cases of emergency, supplies information to the public pertaining to the park and its collection in a direct and courteous manner, and assists the public whenever possible in a similar manner.

•Takes immediate command at scenes of crimes, accidents, incidents and other emergency situations until such time as he is relieved by a supervisor. Courteously but firmly directs citizens to assist as deemed necessary and summons necessary aid.

•Immediately communicates accurate and concise information about accidents, incidents and other police problems to other police officers or to citizens.

•Guards public officials, prisoners, citizens in danger and various sorts of property.

So are they cops now that actually do police work or still just guards standing around? Was out in DC last summer and didn't see any type of Smithsonian Police Officers out patroling in crusiers. Thoughts?

BIA 0083 Police Officer
    WindRiver PD
    Tentative Offer:02/12/2013
    Medical: Completed
    E-Quip : Completed
    BI: Completed
    EOD: 07/30/2013

"We Must Not Simply Mourn The Men Who Died. Rather We Should Thank God That Such Men Lived." Gen George Patton

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt82abn View Post
    So are they cops now that actually do police work or still just guards standing around? Was out in DC last summer and didn't see any type of Smithsonian Police Officers out patroling in crusiers. Thoughts?
    If you look at the annoucement...it says "NZ" in it. That would lead me to believe that it was at the National Zoo......

There are thereads in here about the Zoo Cops. Management doesn't want them to be real cops....so lots of turnover and issues with turning folks over to MPD and not processing the dirtbags themselves.....

42K in DC....? You'd be living in the ghetto and/or working 2-3 jobs trying to survive out there on that..... BTDT.....

One Night In Bangkok
    Right now National Zoo has lots of problems. Also they want certified officers so they dont have to pay for training. And there is a difference between the guards in OPS and the NZPP police officers.

Operator
    Right now National Zoo has lots of problems.
    Understatement.... Sent out a message to my buddy that works there.... He's still trying to flee back to Amtrak.....

Forum Member

NZP mainly look for retired MPD or USPP officers to hire.

One Night In Bangkok
    Quote Originally Posted by DCLocal View Post
    NZP mainly look for retired MPD or USPP officers to hire.
    BS... I know they will hire anyone with a police academy cert.

Operator
    BS... I know they will hire anyone with a police academy cert.
    As stated...my buddy works there and is looking to flee. He said if ANYONE is a Certified LEO, they will pick them up in a heartbeat to fill holes....

And no...he's not MPD or USPP Retired....and said that only a couple of supervisors full under that catagory.....

Liberals make me sick.
    The head of museum security is a retired USPP and there are several retired USPP working in the museums. The zoo is different not sure if they are really looking for retired LEO.

Some of the museum security officers are so fat they cant move fast enough to get out of their own way, it's embarrassing. Also some museums have a contract with a security company to guard the galleries and run the staff/public elevators.

About Air and Space, they did do a good job of getting the Occupy protestors out of the museum.
    Last edited by Justsaying; 12-21-2011 at 05:18 PM.
    It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

Forum Member
    Thanks for the info! One of the kids in my guard unit wants anything right now. He put himself through a state academy and can only find PT work. I told him I would ask around and see. I told him to apply just to get his foot in the door. I was out in DC last year with the kids and didn't see ny Smith Police per say, just unarmed security guards

BIA 0083 Police Officer
    WindRiver PD

"We Must Not Simply Mourn The Men Who Died. Rather We Should Thank God That Such Men Lived." Gen George Patton

Forum Member
    Bearcat you were correct, logged into USAJOBS and read the merit promotion list and it does state Zoo. Can't be that bad for a 24 y/o kid to get a start, can it?

BIA 0083 Police Officer
    WindRiver PD

One Night In Bangkok
    Bearcat you were correct, logged into USAJOBS and read the merit promotion list and it does state Zoo. Can't be that bad for a 24 y/o kid to get a start, can it?
    Its not entry level. Is a GS-07 position.

Forum Member
    Its not entry level. Is a GS-07 position.
    It's also being offered under DEU. With his MP teamleader expirence and overseas tours, I was thinking that might give him a shot. You never can tell, I told him to give it a shot along with all the other 0083 postings out there! I've seen weirder crap happen lately with hiring

BIA 0083 Police Officer
    WindRiver PD

Forum Member

bs... I know they will hire anyone with a police academy cert.
    ok

Forum Member

Can't be that bad for a 24 y/o kid to get a start, can it?
    Yes, it can be. Besides, as stated, they only hire certified officers...I don't think they ever hire entry-level.

Forum Member
    He's certified in the State of Wisconsin and went through the 520 hour full academy. He wants a decent outfit in DC. I will tell him to stay away from the Zoo and the Smith, Place sounds as bad as DoD here in Illinois! Any suggestions? He wants federal so he has the option to move around with the wife who is also federal. I have seen several openings out there, but no nothing about any of the departments. Thanks for the heads up everyone!!!

BIA 0083 Police Officer
    WindRiver PD

Operator
    Seriously.... If he's looking for a place to land as his wife is moving to DC....look at Wackenhut.

DOJ Guards get paid almost 30 bucks an hour. Thats more than most of the PDs in the area..... When I ran the contract, there were guys banking close to 90k-100K a year as armed guards.....

It sucks balls because you are static (for the most part) and don't do a lot.....but you are getting paid well for doing nothing........bringing in income.....and can look/test/apply at LEO Agencies in the area without spending a crap ton of money flying back and forth during testing....

Page 1 of 2 12 Last