Forum Member

Dominant eye - can it change?

when i was in firearms training during the academy, they had us determine our dominant eye by making the triangle w/ our hands, using it as a window to view a stationary object then close each eye.

i'm pretty sure i remember determining my r/eye to be the dominant then (@2yrs ago). i tested today and now my l/eye is clearly the dominant.

Is it possible for it to change? if so, why?

Yes, eye dominance can change. It can temporarily or it can be permanent. Temporary change can be due to eye fatigue or similar. Permanent changes are usually a result of aging where perhaps the dominant eyes vision deteriorates and the weak eye takes over the dominant role. Also other things can cause it, such as illness, trauma etc, but the usual cause is getting old.
    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Forum Member
    oh jeez...one more sign of what i've been seeing happen to myself....AGE! slowly but surely it catches up.

i'm right handed. how will having a dominant left eye effect my shotgun aim?
    with my handgun, i've switched eyes depending on left or right side coverage so it shouldn't effect me too much there.

It was done in a Nicholas Cage movie. What was it called. In the movie he was becoming an Apache pilot.

Oh no, it's da Po-Po Blackdog F4i's Avatar
    Firebirds?
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Peebody View Post
    oh jeez...one more sign of what i've been seeing happen to myself....AGE! slowly but surely it catches up.

i'm right handed. how will having a dominant left eye effect my shotgun aim?
    with my handgun, i've switched eyes depending on left or right side coverage so it shouldn't effect me too much there.
    For cross eye dominant shooters, adjusting for a handgun is fairly easy, as we can just move our hold to one side or the other.

As for long guns, it becomes much more problematic and in most cases the preferred method to resolve this situation is to train to shoot from the support side, making it your primary side for long guns.

A bigger issue can be something that is called "central vision" where there is no real eye dominance, which may result in the eyes fighting for dominance, and actual dominance may switch from eye to eye when trying to focus on a target. This can be normal in some people, but it sometimes happens if someone is having a shift in eye dominance due to age etc... This is a much harder thing for an instructor to diagnose as being a shooters problem. Usually it takes a very good and experienced instructor to spot this problem.
    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!