Forum Member

St. Louis Metro Police Mobile Reserve

What information does one know about the St. Louis City Police Mobile Reserve (The SWAT team) such has team size, function, requirements to get on, etc? You never hear much about them and there is no information on City website on them compared to St. Louis County's Tactical response team, in which they have a link dedicated to them.
    Last edited by erikmb71; 05-04-2009 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Vague Original Question

Forum Member

Disclaimer "I don not work for the St. Louis City PD"

I am only answering because no one else has yet. I hope someone with more info can step in and clarify.

They are not a SWAT team. They are street cops who are in a special unit, like a violent crimes task force. They do a lot of warrants, raids, and train to function as a team to fufill their mission. They are feared,revered, and the criminals just call them MR. When you pick a turd up at the city jail they normally start spouting trash about how MR (Mobile Reserve) just swooped out of the sky and nabbed them for no good reason.

I know a couple of world class coppers who have worked with them and they have ALL been impressed with there abilities, knoweledge, and expertise. When swat goes to a man with a gun call they negotiate and stand off. MR kicks in the door and takes care of business, old school style. I don't know what the requirements are, but I can say the faint of heart, hug a thug, and inexperienced will not be doing it any time soon.

Forum Member
    Thanks for the info! I was wondering about the MR unit. They sound like some hard-working officers. I like the idea of officers on the streets responding as tactical unit.

Forum Member

Erik, Mobile guys are good at what they do, but they are not subject to radio calls. They do their own little thing everyday. They supplement officers on special details, they help serve warrants, they target certain neighborhoods if their is a problem in that particular neighborhood, etc. Really they are off on their own and the district guys never have any idea what they are doing on a daily basis.

All that being said, if you have any wishes to get into Mobile you have to put in your time on the street and you also have to know someone. This along with being in really good physical condition.