Page 1 of 45 123411 ... Last
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: NYPD Cadet Program

Forum Member

NYPD Cadet Program

Hello everyone. I want to join the nypd cadets before becoming an officer. Unfortunely i have to go through a 2 year community community college before i am accepted at a regular 4 year college. Can i be accepted to the cadets with 60 credit associate degree? It's gonna take forever if i have to wait till i get to the 4yr college. It's a stupid rule if i can't. I will have the necessary 2 yr degree shouldnt that be enough?

DENIED!
    This is one of the most wierdest questions I came across here yet.

Why would you be so eager to be a police cadet with 60 credits, instead of taking a PO exam and getting hired right off the bat as a PO.

You dont do much as a cadet other than pick up the occasional phone, make some photo copies here and there and wear a baby blue shirt all day. Lets not forget the pay of about $12/hr.
    Last edited by NYCTNT; 04-26-2009 at 12:14 AM.

Forum Member
    The promotional exam is nice too... A guy I know who was a Cadet is in the Academy now, graduated from St. John's... he was in the 1st Dep's office, made some nice connections...

Quote Originally Posted by NYCTNT View Post

Why would you be so eager to be a police cadet with 60 credits, instead of taking a PO exam and getting hired right off the bat as a PO.

You dont do much as a cadet other than pick up the occasional phone, make some photo copies here and there and wear a baby blue shirt all day. Lets not forget the pay of about $12/hr.
    He is missing part of his brain.
    NYPD Exam - 6011
    Back Up Exam - 0310

DENIED!
    Jet,

What you are saying is.. its ok to kill your time making peanuts and make "connections" than getting on the job making some decent money and making your own connections?.

If you think every precinct in the city gives a darn if you were a cadet, your totally wrong. Even more so if you plan on being sergeant.

Forum Member

I am taking the police exam 8132 in october. Since there is a pretty much 4 yr waiting list i thought the cadets would be something good to get into while i wait. Thats all. Some people are so sensitive. sheesh!

Rookie

it gives you an auto spot in the academy right now which is awesome. you need to have at least 45 college credits but less then 90. you need to be inrolled in a 4 year college tho or have a letter saying you will be attending one next semester. the point of the program tho is to get more cops with a college degree so to gain any of the benifits you would need to obtain a degree. and nyctnt is wrong depending on where you work and the police officers and bosses that you work with you can do much more then answering a phone.

Forum Member
    I never said that precincts will give a damn who was a Cadet or not, I'm talking about the fact that he worked for (and worked hard for) the 1st Deputy Commissioner and in my opinion, that can be a strong acquaintance, you know?

Plus, it's not a waste of time making peanuts, It's a job offered to college students where they make their own ours, make good money for a college kid (it's like $14 an hour), and also get up to $60,000 (correct me if wrong) towards their college bills. For a 2 year commitment to the NYPD upon graduation of a 4-year institution.

Not half bad, definitely not a waste of time to get your degree, I wish I had the perseverance. I just don't bode well with the conveluted politically motivated classes the City University of New York offers me every semester for my $1,500!!

Rookie

its up to 5 grand a semester for 2 semesters so 20 grand for tuition.

Forum Member

Mostly morons if you think a cadet doesnt have a leg up. The connections you make as a cadet transfer over, it could mean the difference between a sweet impact zone and a pure ****hole. Then following impact it could mean the difference between a sweet precinct and a ****hole. Sorry, if you think the cadets didnt gain anything, you are severely mistaken, Ill say, my crane is directly related to where I worked as a cadet, and it has come through numerous times already.

DENIED!
    Wow.

Morons we are.

Thanks, Cadet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cop Prospect View Post
    Hello everyone. I want to join the nypd cadets before becoming an officer. Unfortunely i have to go through a 2 year community community college before i am accepted at a regular 4 year college. Can i be accepted to the cadets with 60 credit associate degree? It's gonna take forever if i have to wait till i get to the 4yr college. It's a stupid rule if i can't. I will have the necessary 2 yr degree shouldnt that be enough?
    When you get 15 credits, Apply for Cadets.
    by the time your list number is called you will have 45 credits. Plus you will have taken all exams. And if you get lucky you will be placed in housing unit (even if you have less than 45 credits.)

and yes you can be accepted with 60 credits but you must take 12 credits next semester. (so they know, your going in 4 a year college)

Apply before 95 credits.

Cadet payment is 13.09 per hour.
    The good thing is, in a way, when you graduate from college "they will have a seat for you in the academy"

2 years in community college and 2 years in a "4 year college"
    you will have AS and BA. Good luck

Forum Member

Err, to get a college degree...60 college credits guarentees you entrance only, you need 64 for Sgt. 96 for Lt., BA for Capt. If your in no rush get your degree!
    Last edited by bluelieu; 05-04-2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: typo

Welp, see ya later!

Jet,

What you are saying is.. its ok to kill your time making peanuts and make "connections" than getting on the job making some decent money and making your own connections?.

If you think every precinct in the city gives a darn if you were a cadet, your totally wrong. Even more so if you plan on being sergeant.

Sir,
    normally I'd bow to the plethora of experience you have obviously amassed while working for the NYPD (I'm assuming you're a cop?). But facts don't lie, and there are numerous statistics out there that prove that one can reap real benefits from being in the cadet corps for a few years. The promotion rates for former cadets are FAR higher than they are for those who elected not to become cadets. Promotion speed to sergeant is something like 55% quicker for former cadets, and promotion rate to captain is something like 85% faster for formers, as well.

Sharp cadets who bridge connections with the bosses before getting hired are often given preference when it comes to assignment and vacation. Apparently, somebody does give a darn.
    "Peace exists, not simply with the loss of conflict, but with the presence of true justice."

Forum Member
    The system is designed for veterans to have a leg up. However, that advantage is gone with all these tests. They weren't getting enough recruits or even people taking the tests for that matter so they started giving out more tests and eventually walk in tests. Since oldest exams go first it makes no sense to use veterans preference. It is a much better idea to hold onto it and save it for sgt.

In FDNY and DSNY, where they have a test every 4 years and exhaust a test b4 having a new one, veterans preference is HUGE. It means the difference between getting the job and not for a lot of people. My friend just graduated from FDNY Probby School, which was the first class off of the new test. He said the class is all EMT's (which are like cadets in that they are promoted), veterans, and legacies.

It kind of stinks that my service doesn't help me but what can u do? Especially when its the damn military's fault that I didn't make the July 2008 class. At least I still have the points once I do get one the job.
    Last edited by Kyle G; 05-21-2009 at 01:51 PM.
    NYPD
    Exam 5047- Passed
    Medical- Passed 8/27/08
    JST- Passed 9/8/08
    Written Psychological- Done 9/17/08
    Oral Psychological- Passed 10/2/08
    Meet with BI- Done 10/16/08
    Mini-Medical-Done 12/30/08
    Mini-Medical Part 2- 4/30/09
    Academy July 2009 (hopefully)

Forum Member
    That's not necessarily true... I'm a "college kid" and I am pretty strongly motivated. Coming into the process as a veteran is extremely honorable, awesome, and I applaud you for your service but try and get on the job at all before you're concerned about being a supervisor of anyone other than yourself in the academy. Don't forget, you need to be a "college kid" to get past Police Officer or Detective in the first place... 64 Credits for Sgt, 96 Credits for LT, and a Bachelor's for Captain and all provisional appointments (DI, Insp, Chiefs)

Again... I applaud you and all service members.

Kyle G... that is sick that you kept your veterans points without using them on the test, you'll have a nice leg up on any promotional test!

Welp, see ya later!

Quote Originally Posted by teot View Post
    well you do know that all the veterens are in charge of the college kids when there in the academy. :-D i just cant wait to start "motivating" some college kids

USMC

It's completely at the discretion of the instructors running the class. But hey, whatever floats your boat. You're probably going to be just as miserable as the "college kids" are, anyway - you won't have the time, nor the inclination to bother them. They may actually end up helping you on the academic portions of the class. Just saying... watch your karma, Marine.
    "Peace exists, not simply with the loss of conflict, but with the presence of true justice."

well you do know that all the veterens are in charge of the college kids when there in the academy. :-D i just cant wait to start "motivating" some college kids

USMC
    Teot....after reading your last two posts you're shaping up to be "that guy" in your academy class. You should always try your damndest not to be "that guy"....it makes life a lot easier and you'll make more friends.

DENIED!

USMC

Yeaaaaaaaah.. and at the end of the day you are still joe shmoe civilian who has a job as a cadet. You all for the most part get paid the same anyway.

Doesnt matter anyway. If you have this mindset NOW, there is NO changing you.

Welp, see ya later!

Can any cadet give any gouge on when they start calling you in for interviews before hire? Do they only give a few days like with the POs, is it a more timely process?

Forum Member

I was told like by this week or so they start calling in people but I was told this like in May I don't know if it has changed yet or not.

I'm also waiting to be called hopefully and also have the same exam# as you lol. I was trying to get in for January 09 but they canceled that and just been waiting for the July 09 class to be called in.

Welp, see ya later!

Quote Originally Posted by L.1.3 View Post
    I was told like by this week or so they start calling in people but I was told this like in May I don't know if it has changed yet or not.

I'm also waiting to be called hopefully and also have the same exam# as you lol. I was trying to get in for January 09 but they canceled that and just been waiting for the July 09 class to be called in.
    Did your BI also tell you that your GPA was a big deal? I have a high GPA and she told me that she has "no doubt" that I'll be called, but I find that hard to believe because of the exams that are ahead of us. Do they go by the same ordering system with cadets? If so... I can't imagine why they would want to hire us now. What do you think?

Forum Member

I went to the orientation on Saturday the 13th, they said they will be hiring cadets for the July 16th class, I'm not sure how many though. I have the medical at Lefrak on the 26th, haven't met with my BI yet, but I'll keep everyone updated. By the way I have the same list number too (2210).

Forum Member

What the hell how are you just doing the medical on the 26th when its less than a month away the supposed cadet class start lol.

I've been done with my process for a long time hell I went to the orientation on the 13th of September of last year and did my process to get into January 09 class so I've been waiting all this time. My exam # wasn't even 2210 mine was originally 2010 but something got changed along the way so they gave me that after starting the process.

I was told I have everything good pretty OK GPA not perfect 4.0 lol but mine is about 3.0 with over 70 credits earned.

I've been waiting for too long to get in and it sucks January got canceled but if I don't get in for July then I'm assed since I'll have earned over 90 credits and they don't allowed that.

I guess bad timing trying to go in when the January Cadet Class was canceled lol.

Forum Member

I have no idea about exam numbers I mean I got my exam # when I went to the orientation on September 13 2008 so if anything it shouldn't be bad but then again during the process my exam # was changed from 2010 to 2210 but this was like in October 2008 so how bad 2210 can be?

Page 1 of 45 123411 ... Last