Forum Member

Proper Ways to Hold a Handgun

So I'm having a discussion with a few friends of mine and I was wondering how all of you hold your pistol when shooting? There seem to be many schools of thought but I wanted to know what was the most efficient and most accurate.

Forum Member

Many ways to do it, without any one of them necessarily being the best way. It even depends on which pistol model you are using and how your hand fits the pistol.

I get a complete one hand grip with the fingers other than the index finger pressing on the front of the pistol's grip pushing the rear of the grip against the palm. Consistant with direction of force applied to the trigger, which is straight back. Then I get the support hand fingers covering the trigger hand fingers, other than the trigger finger of course. I don't do stuff like forcing the support hand to make maximum contact with the pistol grip, and shifting the primary hand around to make room for the support hand to do it.

Make sure all part of the hands are out of the way for moving parts and controls. That's model dependant. Some will preach about "this finger has to be here, thumb has to be at X angle, etc...", but keeping the pistol steady enough while applying 4~12lb of force on the trigger and don't let it fly out of your hand during recoil is all that is really required. Those people only make new shooters over think everything. Good shooter should be able to hit a man sized target at 10m (fairly easy target for anyone with even mediocre training) 1 handed while in a Ballet stance, but they make it sound like you have to be in Weaver, Isosceles, etc, in order to hit.
    Last edited by GrayBlue; 04-16-2009 at 07:02 PM.

Forum Member
    I do not want to get too technical into the training methods for holding a firearm because as you say, there are many schools of thought on this subject. But I highly agree with Todd Jarrett's method and he has taught many law enforcement officer as well as military personnel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlue View Post
    Many ways to do it, without any one of them necessarily being the best way. It even depends on which pistol model you are using and how your hand fits the pistol.

I get a complete one hand grip with the fingers other than the index finger pressing on the front of the pistol's grip pushing the rear of the grip against the palm. Consistant with direction of force applied to the trigger, which is straight back. Then I get the support hand fingers covering the trigger hand fingers, other than the trigger finger of course. I don't do stuff like forcing the support hand to make maximum contact with the pistol grip, and shifting the primary hand around to make room for the support hand to do it.
    I've had the best results with holding the pistol in the teacup&plate method (don't know if that's the correct term, brother in law taught me it), or holding the pistol with my dominant hand then overlapping with the weak hand and crossing the thumbs in the back.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by baycop72 View Post
    I do not want to get too technical into the training methods for holding a firearm because as you say, there are many schools of thought on this subject. But I highly agree with Todd Jarrett's method and he has taught many law enforcement officer as well as military personnel.

Thanks for the link, excellent tutorial on how to properly hold the handgun. Going to try that method when I go to the range next.

Forum Member
    I hold mine sideways. That way bad guys die with one shot from 100 yards and get blown backwards through glass windows. Duh. Then I snarl and show off my gold teefs.
    http://kmags.mybrute.com/ My guy can kick your guy's butt!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
    I've had the best results with holding the pistol in the teacup&plate method (don't know if that's the correct term, brother in law taught me it), or holding the pistol with my dominant hand then overlapping with the weak hand and crossing the thumbs in the back.
    "Tea cup and plate" method refers to support hand supporting the weight of the pistol by its palm contacting the bottom of the pistol grip side. While it works for some, it's the least prefered method. It does not stop the primary hand movement upon recoil. Also, because the support hand does not wrap around the primary hand, it aids less in aim stabilization.

Crossing the thumbs in the back may be acceptable in revolver shooting, but not for self loaders as it may place the thumb in the path of the slide movement.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    I hold mine sideways. That way bad guys die with one shot from 100 yards and get blown backwards through glass windows. Duh. Then I snarl and show off my gold teefs.
    How about the super massive gold chain and big medallion?

Or in Flav's case a big clock

Forum Member
    "Tea cup and plate" method refers to support hand supporting the weight of the pistol by its palm contacting the bottom of the pistol grip side. While it works for some, it's the least prefered method. It does not stop the primary hand movement upon recoil. Also, because the support hand does not wrap around the primary hand, it aids less in aim stabilization.

Crossing the thumbs in the back may be acceptable in revolver shooting, but not for self loaders as it may place the thumb in the path of the slide movement.
    After watching the video above I think that I've got a good idea of how to appropriately grip while shooting. I've been having trouble with inconsistency due to my grip and I think this will solve it.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by baycop72 View Post

This is how I shoot. I've also been able to convert most of my friends to his method.

24/7/365
    On a pistol I only teach one basic method, with either thumbs forward or thumbs up. Thumbs against the frame or not, on a thumbs forward grip is shooter choice. I prefer thumbs forward with no pressure on the frame, unless if I am shooting a 1911, then I rest the rear thumb on the slide safety. I don't quite agree with teaching a crossed thumbs for new shooters. New shooters are generally open to what is introduced. I do not like to teach one method, that they will have to modify down the line. Introduce the best method the first time. The grip on a revolver on the other hand varies a bit.

The Jeff Jarrett vid is a very good example, as is this article on the Combat Grip with Brian Enos and Rob Leatham...http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_t...306/index.html
    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Forum Member

I hold mine like this (and no, this isn't me):

Last edited by Sabre; 04-17-2009 at 06:10 AM.

Little Red
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
    Ior holding the pistol with my dominant hand then overlapping with the weak hand and crossing the thumbs in the back.

Exactly. If you aren't careful, that will get you a serious case of slide-bite on a semi-auto. I've seen some NASTY cuts from that.

http://www.pointshooting.com/bite1.jpg

big holes
    in my hand.

sideways..

thats gangsta.
    In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Have gun......will travel
    Quote Originally Posted by glock194me View Post
    Exactly. If you aren't careful, that will get you a serious case of slide-bite on a semi-auto. I've seen some NASTY cuts from that.

http://www.pointshooting.com/bite1.jpg
    LOL, I still remember when my ACP bit the web between my thumb and first finger OUCH
    "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadKingTrooper View Post
    LOL, I still remember when my ACP bit the web between my thumb and first finger OUCH
    That happened the first time I ever shot a gun when I was 8 years old, sucked real bad.
    Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Forum Member

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabre View Post
    I hold mine like this (and no, this isn't me):

God, I hated shooting it like that. That's the way our academy wanted us to do it. You really don't get proper support hand pressure holding a gun that way.

Besides, how can you pull the trigger with your trigger finger up above the slide?