Forum Member

Question about S&W 6904 9mm

I will be attending the basic police academy in north California as a self-sponsored recruit. Bare with me I am new to the firearm world. I am trying to save as much money as I can since I am self-sponsored. I was able to obtain a gun through a family friend; and the transaction is being done through a local dealer.
    I wanted to know peoples thoughts about the Smith and Wesson model 6904 9mm. I don't do any range time on my own, but do have a firearm certificate. I figure this might be a good deal, just to have something to train on and save a little money. Thank you all for any help or insight!
    Stay Safe!!

Forum Member

The 6904 was one of my issued duty guns for several years. Now that I'm retired I still carry a 6904 as much if not more than any of my other guns. We had several hundred issued. Very reliable and more than accurate enough. We ran nothing but W-W 115 +P+ thru ours and they held up very well.
    Your 6904 will serve you well.
    I've carried this one for well over 15 yrs.

183 FBINA

Forum Member
    Durable, dependable, and accurate. The state police here issued them for many years, before going to the Glock. Troops were allowed to purchase their old Smiths, and many did. You should do fine with this weapon.

Firefighter/Cop (crazy)
    I'm just curious how much you're paying for the 6904. You can have a new M&P for $420, if you can sweet talk the range into LE pricing (take some documentation of attendance of police academy) then you can get one with night sights and 3 mags (you will need 3 mags during the academy, if your course of fire is like OPOTA) for $490.
    Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Forum Member

We carried S&W 6906 9mm for years and they proved accurate, reliable, and durable. We ran thousands of rounds through them, and at the Academy my 'repair kit' was a small bottle of lube.
    The M&P feels better, but until you are on the job, and have either no choice, or money to buy a new gun, the 6904 will do quite well!
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

Forum Member
    I could not ask for more than that. Thanks all! Sound like a great gun to start off on.

FiremanMike, I am only paying the $25-30 for the DOJ registering or clearing if you will. The gun itself is being given to me by a family friend for nothing. By these post I feel pretty damn lucky to be getting this firearm. I will be needing two additional mags, but you will not hear me complaining. I do get a 20% off discount on my purchases through a local uniform store, so I may be able to pick up some remaining items for it there.

Thanks all again! It is greatly appreciated.
    Stay Safe!!

QRF
    Forum Member

You bring up an interesting question. How do you legally acquire high-capacity magazines if you are not a police officer yet?

Forum Member
    I turned in the gun to a local firearms dealer for DOJ registration, and the gentlemen started telling me how the gun was not that good of a choice for a beginner. That I should buy a glock, that the s&w was hard to shot, and so on.

Most of me believes that this was a attempt to have me purchase a firearm through him, but I am not sure. I also had a 12 round mag, which I didn't know was illegal...oops. So I had to purchase a few 10 round mags.

Hope all comes back well from the DOJ. Thanks again for all the input all.
    Stay Safe!!

Molon Labe
    Quote Originally Posted by QRF View Post
    You bring up an interesting question. How do you legally acquire high-capacity magazines if you are not a police officer yet?
    If you are in CA, the answer is very short and simple.....

You dont......
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

QRF
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LA DEP View Post
    If you are in CA, the answer is very short and simple.....

You dont......
    My question centers around those who self-sponsor themselves through an Academy in California. Do you go through the Academy with ten round magazines? Once you become sworn, you will be able to get high-caps, but not until then.

Molon Labe
    Quote Originally Posted by QRF View Post
    My question centers around those who self-sponsor themselves through an Academy in California. Do you go through the Academy with ten round magazines? Once you become sworn, you will be able to get high-caps, but not until then.
    Thats a good point.....I dunno....

If he was carrying a standard issued weapon, they (academy) might loan him some......I am pretty sure the regular cadets have hi cap magazines while in the academy......
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caprice66 View Post
    I turned in the gun to a local firearms dealer for DOJ registration, and the gentlemen started telling me how the gun was not that good of a choice for a beginner. That I should buy a glock, that the s&w was hard to shot, and so on.

Most of me believes that this was a attempt to have me purchase a firearm through him, but I am not sure. I also had a 12 round mag, which I didn't know was illegal...oops. So I had to purchase a few 10 round mags.

Hope all comes back well from the DOJ. Thanks again for all the input all.

The Smith's a very good gun. A few of the people in my academy chose them.

I wouldn't buy a Glock unless you've shot one. Glock's have an extreme angle grip and for many people it is a love or hate type grip. If you shoot one and like it, that's fine.....but if you don't, then you'll be happy you didn't buy one.

For that price, can't go wrong with the Smith. The only thing I don't like about the Smith's is that they have a manual safety. I don't think that LEO pistols should have pistols on them.

Forum Member

The manual safety is not an issue, IF (big IF) you 'train in' disengaging the safety every time you draw - every time. When I carried the 6906, I trained myself to swipe the safety every time, even though I carried the gun with the safety off. Even when qualifying, knowing I have just placed it off safe, I still swiped it off.
    We used it as a decocker - chamber a round, decock, place safety off.
    Let me add were an investigative agency, so guns were concealed at all times.
    There are those who carry guns openly who like manual safetys. That was not my job, so I do not criticize their choice.
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

QRF
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    The manual safety is not an issue, IF (big IF) you 'train in' disengaging the safety every time you draw - every time. When I carried the 6906, I trained myself to swipe the safety every time, even though I carried the gun with the safety off. Even when qualifying, knowing I have just placed it off safe, I still swiped it off.
    We used it as a decocker - chamber a round, decock, place safety off.
    Let me add were an investigative agency, so guns were concealed at all times.
    There are those who carry guns openly who like manual safetys. That was not my job, so I do not criticize their choice.
    One of the finest weapons I ever carried in law enforcement was my Series 70, .45 ACP. It has a manual thumb safety, but to this day it comes off without even thinking about it, due to years of repetition.