Forum Member

How to get someone deported?

Anyone have any idea's on how to get someone deported for just being here illegaly? We are arresting illegals here with no visa, no passports no form of ID for various crimes and they are back out sometimes before the end of shift, most of you that actually work these streets know what I'm talking about. Our system is obviously not set up for prosecuting certain people in this country no matter where they came from. "I'm not going to get into the whole most are good issues" I just want to know what we, as police officers can do to deport or get someone deported. Thanks
    Last edited by Sheepdog2009; 04-10-2009 at 06:39 PM. Reason: stuff

Forum Member
    Call ICE see what they will do for you. Make sure it is not against your policy or your city leaders wishes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISPY4U2 View Post
    Tex, if I'm ever in the Lone Star state, which is unlikely unless I'm being held prisoner against my will by separatist extremists, remind me to buy you a beer. You make more sense every post.

Ghost Payroller
    Nothing this country is doing nothing about illegals.

At least your lawn will be cut

Forum Member
    ICE doesn't do anything here except steal the spotlight from us when we do something big. They may be doing good things in other places but not here. We may have one ICE guy that rides a desk downtown, not sure but they are good at not being found when needed.

Forum Member

We've arrested between 10 and 15 illegals here with fake ids, social security cards, resident alien cards and passports over the past few months. Nothing was done with them, other than basically paying the fine for IC 9-24-18-2. Were told that ICE. Guess it only becomes a problem when that problem is too big to handle.

Forum Member
    Same problem.... I helped IMPD on a hit a run a month ago. The van that left the scene was full of illegals on their way from CO to NY. No ID's etc.... one of them had a fake passport.... called ICE and they said sorry don't want them... what a crock!
    “Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”- Viktor Frankl

"Any views, opinions, or statements made are not the views of any police department, government agency, or entity that I may or may not work for. Further more the views expressed are solely those of he who made them."

Forum Member

I've heard unless you have a bus full of illegals they don't want to do anything about it.
    The old Miller76. I lost my password.

~Sometimes there is justice, sometimes there is Just us!~

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of the agency.

Forum Member

We have called in past and was told if you do not have at least 15-20 dont even bother calling

Forum Member
    ICE is useless for our purposes. Witness:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...&highlight=ICE

As a backup to that, the agent lied to me and never bothered to pick up the fraudulent ID card. All that "we'll turn it over to our forensics lab" was just a nice blow off, since a year later I got the deposition form and had it destroyed.

The *ONLY* illegal I've been involved with that had deportation procedures started against him was convicted on TWO felonies. Just one, like dealing cocaine, isn't enough...

Forum Member
    Well first, deportation as defined by law is a lot more complicated than most people think. Deportation is only done by a federal immigration judge, and with the current scrutiny, that's unlikely to happen unless they are a bad felon.
    Second, ICE has a multitude of missions and are constantly being redirected to do different things then just picking up illegals. They are a small agency that is very young. Remember ICE is only a couple of years old and when you reorganize something like that it's gonna get ugly. Most of your local agencies are decades/centuries old. Blame congress and DHS leadership, they are the ones screwing this up.

If it makes you feel better an illegal isn't normally deportable, they are removable, meaning we don't have to take them in front of a judge, we can just kick them out.

(I don't work for ICE, but another Immigration dept)

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robeans View Post
    Blame congress and DHS leadership, they are the ones screwing this up.
    I don't doubt that in the slightest. I saw first hand how hamstrung Border Patrol was by its leadership a decade ago. The leadership and elected officials don't really want the problem solved. They want the cheap labor and to pander for votes instead of enforcing immigration law.

That said, regardless of who's fault it is, ICE is still useless for our (the beat officer) purposes.

Forum Member

Not sure how I ended up finding this thread, but being an ICE agent, maybe I can answer some questions about why we are so "useless".

I don't work in Indy, or even Indiana, but that office is part of the same area of responsibility in which I work.

Here is what you do...if you have charges on an illegal, arrest them and book them on your charges. Then, contact your local ICE DRO office and have a detainer placed on them. The DRO officer responsible for that jail will come interview the person and determine if he/she is removable. If so, the illegal will then come to ICE custody and be set up for removal. If not, the illegal willl be releaesd. If it's outside of business hours, I would suggest LESC, as they can answer questions that can only be found in our computer systems. Duty agents, or agents on call, are answering your call from home and don't have access to those systems to be able to answer those questions. It just depends on if you want to wait until we can make it to the office.

If you don't have charges and you just find an illegal somewhere, call, but don't be surprised if we cannot respond. As another poster mentioned, we have a multitude of responsibilities outside of immigration violations. There are two main reasons we cannot respond to every officer who has an illegal stopped with fake documents: 1. Manpower, 2. Thresholds placed on us by the U.S. Attorney's Office.

For my office's sake, we have approximately 20 agents, from the head of the office all the way down to the newest agent. We have an enormous amount of ground to cover. We simply don't have the manpower to respond to every call from local LE. I know it's frustrating. I was a local cop for 10 years prior to getting this job. I didn't understand it either until I saw how much we had to do with so few people. And at least in my office, DRO will not pick an illegal up off the street (i.e. local PD traffic stop). That's left to the agents. Well, if we are wrapped up on a big case, i.e. drug smuggling, there's no way we can respond to every request. But let's say we COULD respond to every request. There's no way can find bed space for everyone we encounter. We contract with local county jails to house prisoners. Our office has holding cells, and so does the federal court. But ours is only useful for a couple of hours, and the fed court is the same. Also, the fed court facility is run by the Marshals and will only house someone actually charged with a warrant. The point being, the local county jails could not take everyone either.

If you stop an illegal with false ID documents, our USA's office will not accept it. Even if you stop a couple of illegals, with really good fake docs, the USA's office probably won't take it. That's not our fault, that's on the USA's office. Hence, arrest them for your fake ID charge, have a detainer placed, and they will at least be set up for removal. Whether or not they are actually removed is not up to us, or DRO for that matter. That's the way it works in every office I know of. Just keep in mind how much more difficult it is to get things prosecuted on the federal level. Even some of our good cases we ask, "How can the USA's office NOT prosecute this guy, or guys?" It's not up to us. Deportation is a while other animal. I thought DWIs took a lot of paperwork. Deportation has to be one of the most complicated and labor-intensive processes in the legal system, if not the most. And after all the work is done, it could (and likely will) still get thrown out by the immigration court. Again, it's not up to us.

The bottom line here, ladies and gents, is that I realize ICE may be "useless" to some. And I know how frustrating it is to seem like you are being blown off. But try and remember that most of us are very, very busy and work long hours and weekends, just like you do. Supervisors and management don't respond to calls, so it's left to us grunts. In my case, that's about 15 agents for an area larger than states such as Missouri, Iowa, or Kansas. And my office is one of the bigger ones in our AOR.

I don't have an answer for how to fix the problem. Even if we had enough agents to respond to everything, we could not get the USA's office to take everything, nor could we find enough bed space to house everyone we arrested. There's no easy answer. I would lock up and remove most illegals I run into, but unfortunately, it's not that simple. I wish it was.

Forum Member
    Thanks, I will start calling ICE DRO and place a detainer on them and see where that goes. I understand the manpower and court sytem issues. I know CBP do a really good job on the borders catching people but it's like once they make it a few hundred miles from the border then they are "safe" ,our justice system has no teeth and they know this. It would be a great thing if local police could detain illegals, life would be much better, I would'nt want it to be my primary job but a nice tool.

Forum Member

they steal healthcare as well. I use to work in the ER and the illegals come in...and they have no ID...no nothing....we can't do anything about it except treat them and get some form of address and phone number whether it's legit or not

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog2009 View Post
    Thanks, I will start calling ICE DRO and place a detainer on them and see where that goes. I understand the manpower and court sytem issues. I know CBP do a really good job on the borders catching people but it's like once they make it a few hundred miles from the border then they are "safe" ,our justice system has no teeth and they know this. It would be a great thing if local police could detain illegals, life would be much better, I would'nt want it to be my primary job but a nice tool.
    Agreed. It's as frustrating for us as it is for everyone else.

Forum Member

ICE DRO office?
    LESC?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog2009 View Post
    I know CBP do a really good job on the borders catching people...

But do you know what they do with them once they catch them?

Again, not the guys on the ground's fault but "the system" is geared so that they'll be making another run for the border before your shift is over.

During my time with BP I watched illegals cross the border to shop at friggin' Wal-Mart (which had today's exchange ratio for pesos hanging above the registers) and then run back. If the punishment isn't severe enough to stop you from crossing to get some Peeps and tube socks, whats the point of catching you in the first place?