Verbal Sniper

Lenoir County Deputy shot and killed

second one wounded in hospital. Still ongoing with active shooter from my understanding.

edited to add: http://www.kinston.com/articles/leno...es_county.html

Lenoir County Sheriff Billy Smith has confirmed that two Lenoir County Detectives were shot last night.
    One of the detectives, Allen Pearson, has died as a result of his wounds.
    A second detective, Ryan Dawson, is currently in surgery at Pitt County Memorial Hospital in Greenville.
    "We received a call that someone was walking around the Tick Bite area, shooting a gun in the air," Smith said. "When the first deputies arrived, they ran a check on his license plate, and that check revealed that the driver of the car was wanted by Craven County authorities for a shooting that happened earlier on Tuesday."
    LCSO Maj. Chris Hill said that the organization's Special Response Unit and the State Highway Patrol's helicopter was brought in to aid in the search for the suspect.
    Pearson and Dawson were part of the Special Response Team.
    "The helicopter was equipped with an infrared device that determined the suspect was hiding in a wooded area," Hill said.
    Hill said the Special Response Team went into the woods after the suspect.
    "When the team encountered the suspect in the woods, the suspect started shooting at them," Hill said.
    The resulting shootout resulted in the death of Det. Pearson, the wounding of Det. Dawson, and the death of the suspect whose name has not been confirmed.
    UPDATE 8:55 A.M.: Sources within the LCSO have confirmed that the suspect that killed Det. Pearson and wounded Det. Dawson is Clarence Douglas Phillips, a Lumbee Indian who is from the Bridgeton area, outside of New Bern. He was wanted for a Tuesday shooting in Craven County.
    This story will be updated as new information comes in.
    UPDATE 9:20 A.M.: Hill said Pearson's death is the first Lenoir County Sheriff's personnel in history that has been killed in the line of duty.
    UPDATE 9:50 A.M.: From Francine Sawyer of the New Bern Sun Journal --
    A convicted felon is dead after shooting and killing a woman and a Lenoir County Sheriff's investigator.
    Clarence Douglas Phillips, 43, started his deadly rampage in Craven County killing Cynthia Tillet Knighten.
    Craven County deputies found her body in her bedroom on Frank Avenue in Craven County around 10:30 p.m. Tuesday. according to reports.
    Craven deputies found her body after Lenoir County deputies contacted them, saying they located a man firing a gun in woods near Tick Bite Road near Grifton. A car, registered to the woman was found parked nearby.
    Craven investigators had to break into her home when no one answered the door.
    In Grifton, after the Bridgeton shooting, A Lenoir special response team approached Phillips and Phillips turned his rifle on lawmen and killed on deputy and injured another.
    Lenoir detective Allen Pearson died at Lenoir Memorial Hospital. Detective Ryan Dawson was shot in the neck and underwent surgery Wednesday morning.
    Phillips has a long criminal record. He got out of prison in 2005 after he was convicted of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill; Phillips has been convicted of assault with a deadly weapon; damage to property; drunk and disorderly conduct; and felony breaking and entering.
    Last edited by Smurfette_76; 04-08-2009 at 10:00 AM.

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Verbal Sniper
    Nope. Suspect in hospital, shot multiple times. Second Deputy (a Detective) in hospital in surgery.

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Verbal Sniper
    Suspect is dead.

10-8
    Posted: Today at 5:30 a.m.
    Updated: 7 minutes ago

Grifton, N.C. — One Lenoir County deputy died and another was shot in the neck overnight during a shoot-out with a man at Tick Bite Road near Grifton.

During the gun fight, Det. Allen Pearson was shot and later died at Lenoir Memorial Hospital, according to deputies. Det. Ryan Dawson was shot in the neck area and was taken to Pitt Memorial Hospital where he was being treated.

The county's 911 center received a call at 9:56 p.m. Tuesday that a man had driven a car down a path in a wooded area and was shooting a gun. Deputies arrived at Tick Bite Road and found the car, which was registered to a woman in Craven County.

Deputies said they learned that the woman was found dead in Craven County and the man who drove her car might have been responsible for her death.

Authorities said they have not been able to confirm the man's identity. They did not release the woman's name.

The man shot his gun as detectives set up a perimeter. They repeatedly warned him to stop shooting, but the man continued to fire his gun, authorities said.

Deputies then called in a highway patrol helicopter to help them find the man in the woods. As deputies went into the woods, the man shot at them. Deputies returned fire and shot the man, officials said.

The suspect was taken to Lenoir Memorial Hospital for treatment for multiple gunshot wounds. As of 4:30 a.m. Wednesday, he was alive, authorities said.

The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation was called in to investigate the shooting.

"It is a very sad day for the sheriff's office," wrote Maj. Christopher Hill, chief of administration for the Lenoir County Sheriff's Office.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
    ARMY USMC USAF NAVY
    USCG

"Watch the hands" - J.D. Buck Savage

Verbal Sniper
    Suspect is dead now. The vehicle was traced back to a home in Craven County where the woman was found murdered.

30 Weeks People!
    Sounds like that guy should have never gotten out of prison in 2005! It's a shame...
    "...I'd never let you down, even if I could. I'd give up everything if only for your good..." 3 Doors Down

"Strength is when your body gives out and your heart and your mind take over"

Forum Member

I lived in Lenoir county and knew of both guys, mostly Ryan. I knew of Ryan through being a volunteer firefighter in Lenoir county. Ryan was and might still be on Sandy Bottom Fire and Rescue. Visitation for Allen will be Friday night 6-9 at Howard & Carter funeral home in Kinston.
    "Go ahead and skin it, skin that smoke wagon and see what happens."-Tombstone

Forum Member

Unhappy God Bless

Very, very sorry to hear about the loss of a great Officer. I wish the family well and hope the best for the injured Officer. My prayers are with the family's

Hardened Veteran
    Funeral is tomorrow (Saturday) at 10 am, I believe.
    11 Year Veteran, Law Enforcement Purple Heart Recipient 2002

Forum Member

FYI,
    Ryan is doing much better. I had a chance to talk with him on Saturday and he is in good spirits. He's out of the hospital but still has some work ahead of him. He's very positive about things (as he always is) and I think he will be good to go. I'm going to try to stop by and see him again on Friday.