Forum Member

Yield sign for own lane?

There is a major intersection on the way home from work where I take a right turn with a yield sign. The right turn leads into its own right lane (no traffic lane coming from the left of the intersection) The right turn lane itself adds another lane to the roadway. Why is there a yield sign here? I always thought you could not change lanes while in an intersection so who am I yielding to at this intersection?

Forum Member
    So you will be careful...if there is a gas station on that corner the guy traveling in the right lane which will soon be middle lane when it passes your point may be signalling to show you he wants to pull into your lane and then the gas station. Your yeilding to him will prevent the accident. It's all good.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISPY4U2 View Post
    Tex, if I'm ever in the Lone Star state, which is unlikely unless I'm being held prisoner against my will by separatist extremists, remind me to buy you a beer. You make more sense every post.

Forum Member

Pedestrians...maybe

Forum Member

Most likely the yield sign is there because some traffic engineer misread the MUTCD or a contractor decided to charge the city an extra $500 for a yield sign when they built the intersection!

I have seen this several times in our area and agree with you. The sign is in conflict with the lane markings. The person coming on the ramp has a yield sign which requires them to yield the right of way to other traffic- however, the dashed while line requires that traffic changing lanes do so only if it can be safe to do so and while yielding the right of way to vehicles already in that lane.

I have never worked a crash in one of these areas, but would not issue a ticket to either driver- I would let the insurance companies duke that one out.
    ---Cut the red wire---

Forum Member

But that would require you to use common sense KAA951, and as you know common sense is not as common as you may think. But I think you are right on track. There is a stop sign which has the same lane markings in my area, I still can't figure it out why it has the sign posted.