Thread: Flare patterns

Forum Member

Flare patterns

Good Afternoon,
    Anyone know of a web site or text book outlining effective flare patterns for crash scenes?
    Looking for different patterns that the genius of the motoring community can recognize and, hopefully, NOT run over at crash scenes.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks/ Smoke

Forum Member

I hit up Google and could find one link that may be what you are looking for.

LINK

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    I was taught, many years ago, that flares should be set ten feet (give or take) apart with one foot of deviation to give a better angle of appearance and to appear as a solid line for the approaching traffic. You can reduce the angle of deviation on faster roadways to make the closure more subtle.

A minimum of 100 feet on slower speed roadways to 1000 feet for higher speeds. That is for one lane of closure. More lanes double the distances to allow for merging and reduce confusion.

Double and triple stacking reduces the maintenance time needed for keeping the line lit!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Have gun......will travel
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtCHP View Post
    I was taught, many years ago, that flares should be set ten feet (give or take) apart with one foot of deviation to give a better angle of appearance and to appear as a solid line for the approaching traffic. You can reduce the angle of deviation on faster roadways to make the closure more subtle.

A minimum of 100 feet on slower speed roadways to 1000 feet for higher speeds. That is for one lane of closure. More lanes double the distances to allow for merging and reduce confusion.

Double and triple stacking reduces the maintenance time needed for keeping the line lit!
    Yeah, and be careful lighting them, they will instantly burn through your uniform jacket unless lit correctly!
    "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadKingTrooper View Post
    Yeah, and be careful lighting them, they will instantly burn through your uniform jacket unless lit correctly!
    yeah almost took one in the eye lighting one on a 14 car accident on the HWY. I was rushing....... LOL

Forum Member

Forum Member

I'll never forget the annual eval I got that a sergeant recommended I go to a "POST Accredited School" to learn "proper flare pattern techniques."

The same evaluation went to six other employees. I know because other employees had my name and vise versa on portions of eachother's evals. I never did find such a school.
    Last edited by cottonwood 41; 03-26-2009 at 12:26 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks for the input. I appreciate all the help.

Smoke

Forum Member

You might check out...

www.respondersafety.com
    ---Cut the red wire---

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smokenmirrors1 View Post
    Good Afternoon,
    Anyone know of a web site or text book outlining effective flare patterns for crash scenes?
    Looking for different patterns that the genius of the motoring community can recognize and, hopefully, NOT run over at crash scenes.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks/ Smoke
    You might find a pattern that is idiot proof but none are complete idiot proof.
    I have the heart of a child..................................No really, it is in a jar on my desk.

Forum Member

I put them in heart patterns.

I work for peanuts.
    I just use the $500,000 fire engines to block off traffic and protect the scene as well as my car.

Forum Member

Here's the two patterns I usually use

or

Forum Member

It helps to inter space them with traffic cones. If no cones are available, then
    taper them to a straight line to guide the traffic away from the incident.
    If you have cruisers to park, have them all face in the direction you want the traffic to go.
    Remember that when you expect a driver to do the stupidest dumbest thing ever you will not be dissapointed.