Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    marcusindc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,770

    Bellevue police officer's firing overturned

    From: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pag...u_sid=10588900

    A former Bellevue Police officer fired for being overweight could be back patrolling the streets in a few months.



    The Nebraska Court of Appeals, in an opinion released Tuesday, reversed the Bellevue Civil Service Commission’s decision upholding the termination of Christopher D. Parent.

    Parent, 52, had been a member of the Police Department for more than 25 years, mostly as a detective, but had been reassigned to road patrol. His firing stemmed from his performance during an Aug. 28 combat shooting exercise, which prompted officers to report him to the command staff.

    Parent was fired Nov. 28, 2007, after an internal investigation determined that he had not maintained a "high level of physical, mental and emotional conditioning."

    Bellevue Police Lt. Mark Elbert has said Parent, whose 2005-issued Nebraska driver’s license lists him at 5-foot-9 and 300 pounds, was fired under a policy that requires officers to be physically fit.

    The court's opinion states that under the Bellevue Police Department policy used to justify Parent’s firing, Parent satisfied the only objective standard imposed by the policy.

    The court said he maintained "at least a ‘fair’ level of physical wellness pursuant to the standards contained within the . . . Department’s Wellness Program Manual."

    The City of Bellevue could either let the case go -- and Parent would be reinstated in a few months -- or send the case to the Nebraska Supreme Court for further review, putting Parent’s job back on the line.

    Michael Polk, an attorney representing the city, said he is unsure what avenue the city will take.

    Steve Delaney, Parent’s attorney, said Parent is excited about the decision and is eager to get back to work.
    Curious to see what everyone's thoughts are on this.

    Without knowing more about the departments guidelines, it's hard to say whether or not he broke any real rules... except that of having some f'n common sense.

    This mammoth of a cop is a liability to the rest of his co-workers IMO.

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    FJDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    5,075
    Good grief.

    Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette
    Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by DAL
    You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    1,029
    I watched the video of some of his physical test. Part of it was to kneel, shoot, stand and move. Once he kneeled, he was unable to get back up on the first several attempts. I'd say it took him over 10 seconds to finally regain his feet, though I did not use a stop-watch.

    I don't see why he can't be returned to desk duty, such as evidence clerk or something, until his remaining few years before retirement...but active patrol? No no and no!

  4. #4
    Banned

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    893
    If I had to hide behind him, at least I'd know I'd have good cover.

    For 5'9, 300 pounds is a whole lot. Maybe if he was 6'5 he could get away with it, since he would be in a more normal weight range at that height, but that guy looks very physically inept.

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Upland, Ca
    Posts
    2,216
    Sadly that officer is grossly overweight and he has no business being on the streets. If he close to retirement, put him on the desk where he will have very limited contact with the public.
    Retired LASD

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,943
    Was this an outright termination or a "resign or be fired" kind of deal?

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,943
    Quote Originally Posted by switcher View Post
    At least he's not this overweight.




    I think his side just ate his duty weapon.

  8. #8
    You are next...
    bigcop97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Midwest
    Posts
    1,601
    In my opinion I see lots of innappropriate comments on this thread regarding an officer who has put in so many hard years of service... I am actually pretty disappointed with some of those that have commented...

    You can't just fire a guy for gaining weight. He did not get that way overnight. This has been a process. Police work is stressful, believe it or not some people deal with that stress by eating and overindulging... would you feel the same way if it was an officer who had an alcohol problem? Not one who had a DUI or something dumb, but an officer that drank to much at home... No, that would be seen as "human"...What about an officer suffering from depression? Dont be so quick to sell someone out...

    This department needs to revamp how they assess physical fitness because it is obviously a problem. With this department, arent the detectives held to the same physical performance standards as patrol? Dont they do routine shooting exercises, or P.T testing? Arent they given yearly evaluations? Once you see a problem, admin has to address it... you cant just say... "your fat, your fired."

    I understand a police officer needs to be fit to do the job. His life, citizens life and as back-up my life may depend on it... but if he has been a detective for so long it has obviously been acceptable by this department to be that overweight, because it was not an issue until he was expected to come back to patrol... sounds like they are trying to force him out to me...

    This hits a little personal with me because I am overweight... but you know what... I can benchpress 390LBS... I can run a 8:30 mile... I have awesome officer presence, confidence. Fellow officers love to go on violent calls with me because they know I dont accept losing/ and I get the job done... But, its a constant battle for me to maintain my weight. I can see anyone going into the detectives for 10 years and letting themselves go... especially someone predisposed to gaining weight and struggling with it.

    Someone with this officers years of service deserves our respect and support to get on a healthy track... not smart comments about "hiding behind him"
    Retired 02/01/13

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,943
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcop97 View Post

    Someone with this officers years of service deserves our respect and support to get on a healthy track... not smart comments about "hiding behind him"
    That comment didn't come from an officer, you know.

  10. #10
    Have gun......will travel
    RoadKingTrooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cotopaxi
    Posts
    4,315
    Agree^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"


    The real deal

    Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    marcusindc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by switcher View Post
    Or this overweight.
    Holy... mother... of... God.

    So many funny things went through my head, but I'm not touching that with a 10 foot stick.

  12. #12
    In the Evil Village...

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bay Area-NorCal
    Posts
    202
    I like the radio on the lapel, because she is too fat to have it on her belt..disgraceful.

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    15
    i like the jacket hanging on her duty weapon.....

  14. #14
    Cynical curmudgeon
    cgh6366's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,428
    Quote Originally Posted by marty33 View Post
    I like the radio on the lapel, because she is too fat to have it on her belt..disgraceful.
    There should be ample space on that belt for a radio! Although the antenna may get lost and impact reception.
    "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

    If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    marcusindc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by cgh6366 View Post
    There should be ample space on that belt for a radio! Although the antenna may get lost and impact reception.
    roflmao.

    Sorry, but that is hysterical.

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    slamdunc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,845
    In this day and age, we all owe it to the public we protect, the brothers in blue we back up, ourselves and our family to stay in the best possible shape. Several of you have pointed out valid points in your posts, the facts are:

    His many years of service are appreciated by those of us that have been out in the field a while.

    He absolutely did not get that way overnight. This should have been addressed by his supervisors several years ago. It would have been much easier to either get him into shape or can him.

    There is no way that this guy could be depended upon for back-up. If he could actually get to you, he would be so worn out, he wouldn't be much help.

    I'm going to another thread; now where did I put my donut?

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    Rush817's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,838
    BigCop, I have to disagree with you. He allowed himself to get that way and made no effort to take care of himself. We hear excuses like that from crackheads, I was depressed or I'm just stressed out. He is just being weak minded and it is a copout! We are supposed to strong minded Warriors! Protect the people that can't protect themselves.

    If the officer you mentioned brought his alcohol problem to work with him that would definately be a problem!

    Did you see the PT video of this guy? This guy didn't get fired for being overweight, he got fired because he couldn't do his job. You say your a big guy but you can run a mile an 8:30 mile and bench 390 lbs. Thats awesome but this guy couldn't run if his life or anybody elses life depended on it. We have big guys at my pd that I know if the **** hit the fan they could get to me.

    This officer needs to re-evaluate his situation. He needs to know when enough is enough. We all love this job but there will be a time when we all have to give it up for one reason or another. If not, someone is going to needlessly get hurt. Just my opinion.
    Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    Rush817's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,838
    Quote Originally Posted by switcher View Post
    Do you have a link to the PT video?
    It was there when they initially posted this thread. I will try and find it.
    Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

  19. #19
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South Sioux City, NE
    Posts
    4,489
    Quote Originally Posted by switcher View Post
    Do you have a link to the PT video?
    If I remember right not so much a PT excersise but a shooting qualification, and when the detective had to shoot from Kneeling he could not get back up without assitance.

    After 20plus yrs of service in any job a person should not be just dumped without some type of assitance program or finding them a duty that they can perform. Just a year or two previous to this incident he was like dept. cop of the year award or some ****. After 20yrs of service in one community perhaps he could not run down a perp on foot, but I bet he knew where every perp lived and worked and could drive there and arrest them all.

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    Rush817's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,838
    Last edited by Rush817; 03-19-2009 at 02:13 AM.
    Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

  21. #21
    Banned

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    893
    I'm re-posting his link, since he accidentally put two https up.

    http://www.vidmax.com/index.php/videos/view/7196

    There's a big difference between being overweight, and being so large that you cannot complete a task because of it. He was not able to get up from a kneeling position without using support, and could not lift up a cop acting as a suspect sitting down. This guy is just plain unfit, and I think everyone else would agree by saying he's a definite liability.
    Last edited by Brendon; 03-19-2009 at 02:17 AM.

  22. #22
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South Metro ATL
    Posts
    14
    I, personally, believe that the city SHOULD fight his reinstatement. As was said before, he deserves a huge (no pun intended) thanks for all of his years of service, however from watching the video, he clearly is no longer effective as a patrol officer. Second, there is the officer safety factor, and clearly if his fellow officers were the ones that brought this to superiors, they were concerned, presumably from that point of view. They would know best, after all; they worked with the guy day in and day out, and were there in person to witness his eval. Now, I can understand where some people are coming from, because even though I'm young, I have been severely overweight, more so than he was actually. I'm still not TOO far away from him, I'm 5'11" and weigh in at ~260lbs. But, you know what, of all the departments I'm still waiting to hear from, I have not ONCE been DQed for failing a PFT/PAT. It is possible to be big, even fat, and still remain in some semblance of shape. Is it more difficult? Heck yes, I can personally attest to that, but it is possible.

  23. #23
    Forum Member
    Rush817's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,838
    [QUOTE=David Hineline;1717877]If I remember right not so much a PT excersise but a shooting qualification, and when the detective had to shoot from Kneeling he could not get back up without assitance.

    After 20plus yrs of service in any job a person should not be just dumped without some type of assitance program or finding them a duty that they can perform. Just a year or two previous to this incident he was like dept. cop of the year award or some ****. After 20yrs of service in one community perhaps he could not run down a perp on foot, but I bet he knew where every perp lived and worked and could drive there and arrest them all.[/QUOTE]

    Only if they wanted to be arrested. He needs to be in an office somewhere taking Meet Complainants By Phone, calls.
    Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

  24. #24
    Forum Member
    Rush817's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,838
    He needs to go on that show "The Bigggest Loser" and lose 100-150 lbs then come back to work. If he wins, he may not have to work at all!
    Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

  25. #25
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South Metro ATL
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by switcher View Post
    Plus, he'll get to work with this lady, who was once overweight herself.


    She can be my personal trainer any day

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register