Question Walking Sideways On The Treadmill???

I see guys walking or like doing some kind of leap sideways on the treadmill. Is there any actual benefit to it?

I hear it's for mobility/agility as the muscles and tendons used for that movement are seldom utilized.
    Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity

I also saw a few people putting the treadmill on an incline of about 15 (that's what they were shouting out) and then walking backwards? I am not sure what purpose that serves in the workout because you are going downhill instead of uphill which would be more challenging (I would think).
    I get the impression that they were just trying to get attention.

Thanks I was just curious......

As far as I understand it, its just working the other (often ignored) muscles.
    The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed on the streets

Forum Member
    We'll going downhill vs uphill is different. It uses different muscles. But like you said, my guess is they were just trying to get attention.

Forum Member
    Despite my years in LE, I still try to believe in the inherent goodness of people. Yeah, I know...it's gotta be some kind of illness.

Anyway, my feeling is that most of these people aren't doing these things just to get attention. I tend to think it's just to work seldom-used muscle groups, or use muscle groups in different ways.

By working muscles in way you're not used to, you can get more benefit of a shorter workout. If someone is trying for overall fitness, it makes sense to try to work the same muscles in a variety of ways.

Presence
    I used to do sideways walking on a treadmill... It was at a relatively slow pace, but I would put the machine on a steep incline. It was an attempt on my part to work the inner and outer thigh muscles, since they aren't used so much in traditional treadmill running. (Yes, I realize there are other exercises for this, it was just a way to break up the monotony of the treadmill).

I also did this quite a bit on the Stairmaster. I'd alternate facing straight forward for a few minutes, then turn to the left and climb for the same number of minutes, then to the front again, then to the right... Basically you find yourself bending more and reaching more during the moment that your leg crosses over in front of your other leg.

I think there could be some benefit there.

Great answers, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Baysidegal View Post
    I also saw a few people putting the treadmill on an incline of about 15 (that's what they were shouting out) and then walking backwards? I am not sure what purpose that serves in the workout because you are going downhill instead of uphill which would be more challenging (I would think).
    I get the impression that they were just trying to get attention.

Thanks I was just curious......
    Not sure what the degree of incline was, as the physical therapist was the one setting it up, but after my car accident, I was doing the backwards on treadmill on a slant walk, amongst all the other exercises. (Lamebrain decided the red light didn't mean him so he t-boned me going so fast that my car's engine block got shoved 11 inches to the left.) Those were for the knee injuries I had (smashed them up pretty good). Still going uphill, just backwards, kind of like walking backwards when the wind's really strong, I guess.

That's good to know. If they are going through such a production I would HOPE that it had a beneft! LOL

Jane hope you are feeling better.