Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Baltimore City Police Salary

Forum Member

Baltimore City Police Salary

Can anyone tell me what the salary is after completion of the academy. I look at the web site and i know that the starting salary is $41,058, but is that before the academy or after. I am trying to get a rough idea about how muck will i make in about three years.

shook'n cats, ringn bells

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRecruit2 View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the salary is after completion of the academy. I look at the web site and i know that the starting salary is $41,058, but is that before the academy or after. I am trying to get a rough idea about how muck will i make in about three years.
    that is outdated. there is no change in salary after the academy. the starting pay is now 43,xxx

Forum Member

thank Jvegas. do you know if there is increase yearly as you ar on the dept. for a while. Also do you think that i can live off that salary in baltimore county with a wife and three kids confrontable enough to buy a home in a decent nieghborhood

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jvegas View Post
    that is outdated. there is no change in salary after the academy. the starting pay is now 43,xxx
    Oh, OK. I saw that $41,xxx and thought it was pretty low...

its about 1k/year for a bachelors. there are yearly pay increases and also usually a 3-5% increase with new contract negotiations through the FOP. the contract increases are not guaranteed. FOP3.org has the yearly step increases listed.

Forum Member

Are you being generous about BPD.. I thought it was 42,xxx? Not that it's that huge of a difference. BUT, I could be wrong.

thank Jvegas. do you know if there is increase yearly as you ar on the dept. for a while. Also do you think that i can live off that salary in baltimore county with a wife and three kids confrontable enough to buy a home in a decent nieghborhood
    no, IMO you cannot live off of that salary with a wife and 3 kids. i barely have anything left over after my mortgage and car payment, with no kids/wife. my fiance works and pays utilities and a small portion of the mortgage.

Forum Member

3300 Reisterstown Road, Baltimore MD 21215
    i know, i cant even afford a bed, i been sleeping on an air mattress for the past two years...maybe thats because i keep buying kimbers
    ret2991 likes this.
    "Sometimes there is Justice and sometimes there is Just Us"

Forum Member

So is there a raise every year or what. 43xxx is still not enough to live. My goal is to live in York, PA and commute everyday into b-more. is this something that i can do. In the end i would like to see close to $50,000 after a few years. Is that happening.

Forum Member
    So is there a raise every year or what. 43xxx is still not enough to live. My goal is to live in York, PA and commute everyday into b-more. is this something that i can do. In the end i would like to see close to $50,000 after a few years. Is that happening.
    when I went through the academy, you had to be a MD resident at the start of the academy and not until you got out of the academy could you move out of state. That rule may have changed.

Personally, if I were you, I would look closer to the PA MD line. The houses are a little more expensive, but its something like 40 to 50 miles from york to Baltimore. Thats alot of gas money and miles on your car. Not to mention having to get up with the farmers at 0500 just to beat some of the 83 rush hour. AND court starts at 0900 hrs which is just great when you are working 1600-0000 hrs. shift. Be there or be FTAed.

With Court OT and any other OT you can pick up. You shoudl be able to make 50K. You are on the low end of the pay scale until you hit 3 years then you get the BIG Bump. You get small increases every year until then and every year after.

Moving anywhere with 3 kids is going to be tremendously difficult. As mentioned, I would look at Baltimore and Harford Counties. It won't be easy, but there are places if you look.

Quote Originally Posted by MiGuy View Post
    Are you being generous about BPD.. I thought it was 42,xxx? Not that it's that huge of a difference. BUT, I could be wrong.
    shut up.

Forum Member

shut up.
    hahaha

Forum Member

3300 Reisterstown Road, Baltimore MD 21215
    seriously, is the salary 43000 now?
    "Sometimes there is Justice and sometimes there is Just Us"

Forum Member

You can easily make $50,000 per year once you hit the streets. With City Overtime, Baseball Games, Football Games, Foot Races, etc.. I personally believe that that is VERY feasible to reach.

the starting pay is low, but there are more places to do overtime, and as mentioned earlier you get a BIG three year bump and then another GOOD bump at 5 years.

I don't mind where I live, however I'm going to have to have a nice little chat with Baltimore County as they deem my neighborhood "not so good."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NightStix View Post
    You can easily make $50,000 per year once you hit the streets. With City Overtime, Baseball Games, Football Games, Foot Races, etc.. I personally believe that that is VERY feasible to reach.

the starting pay is low, but there are more places to do overtime, and as mentioned earlier you get a BIG three year bump and then another GOOD bump at 5 years.

I don't mind where I live, however I'm going to have to have a nice little chat with Baltimore County as they deem my neighborhood "not so good."
    Maybe this is a PM-type question, but whats a ball-park range of a "BIG" three-year bump? Just curious...

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ten08 View Post
    I'll bet you have to have a Maryland Drivers license as a condition of employment, and that will require you live in Maryland
    FAQ

Application FAQs

By Recruitment Unit
    Monday, March 17, 2008; 7:00 pm

These are some frequently asked questions about employment with the Baltimore Police Department.

* What are the minimum qualifications to become a police cadet?
    Applicants must be age 18 to 20, a U.S. citizen, have a high school diploma (or GED), and a valid driver's license (within six months of hire).

* Is there a residency requirement for applicants?
    No, applicants are not required to be a resident of the State of Maryland.

* Is there currently a waiting list for applicants?
    No, applicants are hired upon successfully completing all phases of the application process including the background check.

* Do I get credit for my military time?
    Yes, the Baltimore Police Department will give you up to 3 years credit for military service after 20 years of service.

* If I'm hired, how long is the training process?
    The training period for police officers consists of a six-month academy and a period of field training upon graduation.

The Baltimore Police Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Have several friends on the force that have lived in PA the whole time they worked there.
    Last edited by fedguy889; 03-17-2009 at 01:32 AM.
    Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.

Quote Originally Posted by DaLAW View Post
    Maybe this is a PM-type question, but whats a ball-park range of a "BIG" three-year bump? Just curious...
    about 5k at 3 years and about 3k at 5 years.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fedguy889 View Post
    FAQ

* Is there a residency requirement for applicants?
    No, applicants are not required to be a resident of the State of Maryland.

Thats right. I wasn't a resident when I applied. But right after being hired and when i started the academy I needed to show proof of residency. Again, that could have changed but anyone applying should know for sure before buying a house in PA.

Forum Member
    I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees...
    It sad to say that the officer of Baltimore are way under paid for the amount of work and the nut jobs they have to deal with.

My work is done here
    Quote Originally Posted by ten08 View Post
    I'll bet you have to have a Maryland Drivers license as a condition of employment, and that will require you live in Maryland

unless you are an illegal
    Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chiller View Post
    unless you are an illegal
    ROTFLMAO Now that's down right funny there.

Forum Member

Don't forget about Sgt pay (59,xxx @ 1st yr) and Lt pay (67,xxx @ 1st yr). I've heard of a Lt. who raked up 100g one year from over time. I know couple seasoned regular officers who pulls in 60g -80g. Automatic 2hr Court time. If you work hard and have no life, you can make some money. Stress will get ya though. You can take your Sgt exam once you hit your 3rd year, but it's very competitive. I heard Sgt exam is administered every 2 years and Lt Exam in between. I forgot, but I think midnight shifts get differential pays as well.

For the comment about BPD not getting paid enough, damn near all the cops are not getting paid enough, BPD is low on base but lot more opportunities to get overtime. In the end, its comparable to nearby county PDs. If you live near Bmore, cost of living is cheaper.

It's going to be very hard for you during your first year because of Academy and Field training will take most of your time. Which means little opportunities for overtime. So be prepare.
    Last edited by PaulPo; 03-18-2009 at 06:16 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulPo View Post
    Don't forget about Sgt pay (59,xxx @ 1st yr) and Lt pay (67,xxx @ 1st yr). I've heard of a Lt. who raked up 100g one year from over time. I know couple seasoned regular officers who pulls in 60g -80g. Automatic 2hr Court time. If you work hard and have no life, you can make some money. Stress will get ya though. You can take your Sgt exam once you hit your 3rd year, but it's very competitive. I heard Sgt exam is administered every 2 years and Lt Exam in between. I forgot, but I think midnight shifts get differential pays as well.

For the comment about BPD not getting paid enough, damn near all the cops are not getting paid enough, BPD is low on base but lot more opportunities to get overtime. In the end, its comparable to nearby county PDs. If you live near Bmore, cost of living is cheaper.

It's going to be very hard for you during your first year because of Academy and Field training will take most of your time. Which means little opportunities for overtime. So be prepare.
    I definitely won't disagree that even now with OT cut sooo short just from what it was during last summer, there still is AMPLE opportunity to make pay comparable if not more than what surrounding agencies make. BUT, if you're like me, after your 6 days in a row, I really don't want to work OT. I like to enjoy my days off. So me personally, am not too concerned with how much OT one can make in the department.. That's just saying you have to work EVEN HARDER than the surrounding agencies just to make as mucha s them.

I'd rather my base pay be comparable to the surrounding agencies so I don't have to bust my butt more than the county guys (which can be argued I already AM working where I work) just to make the same amount as my counterparts over the county line.

Sorry if this comes off as complaining or anything.. Just trying to provide a different outlook for those coming in that are like myself... Ha, I guess that could be considered lazy not wanting to do OT... Oh well!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulPo View Post
    Don't forget about Sgt pay (59,xxx @ 1st yr) and Lt pay (67,xxx @ 1st yr). I've heard of a Lt. who raked up 100g one year from over time. I know couple seasoned regular officers who pulls in 60g -80g.
    Pease don't say this out loud. Brings back very bad memories. And yes it's feasible to make 100g with overtime.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NightStix View Post
    Pease don't say this out loud. Brings back very bad memories. And yes it's feasible to make 100g with overtime.
    LOL!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last