Forum Member

.357 SIG/Auto pistols review.

Whats the genral consensus on the .357 Sig/Auto cartridge in LE? I know the Secret Service carry it, but no one on this this forum has really mentioned it. Glock do one....

Most seem to have 10mm,.45acp, 40s&w or 9mm. Is the .357 good?

I have mentioned it every time I've seen fit too. We carry the Sig P-229 DAO in .357 Sig and I absolutely love this thing. Good ballistics, the round was developed to mimic the ballistics of the number 1 one shot stopping round then in use, that being the Federal .357 Magnum 125 grain loading.

I've carried .38 Spl revolvers, a Sig P226 in 9mm, S&W 1076 10mm, and this one, I own others. This P-229 would be my choice for uniform carry. .40 cal S&W would work too.
    Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 03-17-2009 at 12:04 AM. Reason: it was 9mm, not 0mm!
    "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

+1

we carry the exact same weapon and i love it. you can hit a 6" diameter steel plate at 100 yards pretty easy. aka head shot at 100 yards. not many rounds can do that.

Forum Member
    Does it have a flat trajectory then? When you've got the 10mm auto etc what are benefits, especially as the case is much shorter than the original .357 magnum revolver cartridge? It surely cannot be as good.
    And as for 100 yards, I'd need a mag of 17 in a glock 17 to get a hit on the man size target!

The round leaves the muzzle at about 1350 fps, and has a flat trajectory out to about 100yards. I will go even further than suprtrpr, and have regularly hit a steel silhouette from 150 yds with the Sig 229DAK 6-7 times out of 10. We use it because it goes through everything -- car doors, house doors, the dreaded windshield and still carries a wallop. However, it generally will NOT go through a human, likes to bounce around inside and tear stuff up. In the time that we have used this round, I believe that only 2 suspects that have been shot by us have survived. A lot were struck only once or twice.

It is an excellent round for SHP, we generally dont have to worry about overpenetration, and the car will not protect the bad guy.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" --Edmund Burke

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.

Forum Member
    Sounds like a superb round. What brand and type of ammunition do you use in your .357?

Forum Member

SIG 357 - Pistol Heaven

We have carried 357 SIG couple of years now. We are very happy with performance. Try Gold Dot ammo.

Forum Member
    I think the .357 SIG is one mean round. I am really surprised it has not received a larger following. I have Glock and SIG in .357 and love them. Very good slide velocity.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

I carry 125 Ranger T rounds in my P-226 no rail.

IAO
    The only town split between three counties.
    We just go new SIG p-226 .357 sig in Nov. I believe the slug is the same size as a 9mm bottle necked onto a .357 jacket. I also own the g33 in the same round. Its an excellent shooting round with moderate recoil. Nothing the average shooter cant control. We use 125gr Speer Duty Ammo.

On a side note a box of .357 is a little more than a box of any other typical round. I was talking to a guy at the local gun store and he said the price is coming down but since its a new round its going to be higher.
    Striving to create a world in which I am no longer needed. 1*

Forum Member
    moved to another area
    Last edited by PADWCO; 05-01-2009 at 06:43 AM. Reason: moved

Forum Member
    Would you say that it is a self protection round than 9mm or 40 cal?

Quote Originally Posted by madic15al View Post
    I carry 125 Ranger T rounds in my P-226 no rail.
    I carry P226 .357 sig with rail. I use the Ranger T rounds also. Those rounds are mean, and I dont see a reason why they would not stop the threat in a heartbeat...
    Last edited by bikecop136; 05-05-2009 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bikecop136 View Post
    I carry P226 .357 sig with rail. I use the Ranger T rounds also. Those rounds are mean, and I dont see a reason why they would not stop the threat in a heartbeat...
    And quite possibly the most accurate load in my P-226 as well!

Forum Member
    Does anyone use it chambered in a back up gun?

Forum Member
    Ordered a 33 yesterday. So the answer is not yet.

Forum Member
    I cant find the website now, but the hottest .357 Sig round is the Speer Gold Dot 125 gr. JHP. Thats what I carry. Its fast and accurate. And it wont bounce off a suspect's collarbone, like the .40 S&W. A lot departments around here issue .40 cal Glocks, but its just too weak of a round for me.

Forum Member
    I'd steer clear of the Winchester LE .357sig ammo. My department cancelled our contract with them this year. Damaged ammo in the boxes, .40 S&W rounds in the 357 box, failure to fire, and squibb rounds that destroyed 2 guns.

Switched to Speer LE. No issues since then.

Forum Member
    I have a Glock 32 chambered in .357 SIG and I love it. My wife can handle it as it doesnt have much kick to it but it does have a nice "crack" when you fire it.

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit Brown View Post
    Does anyone use it chambered in a back up gun?
    My back up gun/off duty carry gun is a Sig P239 chambered in .357sig and I love it. My wife also loves it, she took it to her concealed handgun class and had no troubles qualifying.
    "Out of every 100 men sent to battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a Warrior and he will bring the others back." -Heraclitus