View Poll Results: Would you arrest me for a DUI?

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll
  • Send him on his way (with a taxi or DD of course)

74 45.96%
  • Arrest him, doesn't make a difference if he's a LEO

54 33.54%
  • Contact your supervisor for advise

15 9.32%
  • Contact the LEO's watch commander/supervisor and let them decide

18 11.18%
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Would you arrest me?

In reading through this thread:
    http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115223

I thought we could step it up a bit and see how everyone would react with a DUI. You pull me over after seeing me swerve a few times and brake late on traffic light. I'm pleasant, though very intoxicated, and obviously over .08. You only find out I'm a LEO because when I reach for my drivers license, you see my badge.

RIP Seann1
    BARRING EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES (crash, disorderly conduct, etc)

I've cut others breaks, and I'd consider cutting an officer a break if s/he wasn't stupid about it and cooperated with the game plan. I would handle the ride home though... no taxi or DD. Car would get towed. That would be the deal: take it or leave it.
    Last edited by Resq14; 03-10-2009 at 01:54 AM.

A L L H A V E G I V E N S O M E,  B U T S O M E H A V E G I V E N A L L

Forum Member
    Sorry but you're getting hooked. Whether or not I write a traffic violation falls under officer discretion and I've given many a citizen a break, but DUI's don't get breaks.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

10-8 FER SHIFT
    This is SUCH a sore subject.......

Forum Member

Bad situation. I would not be to happy about it. Luckily I have never had to deal with it. If I ever do I would like to think I would do everything I could legally do to avoid an arrest. I do think a call to the officers supervisor might be in order due to the fact the guy might have a problem. Not sure though. I hope it never happens.

I did lose a good supervisor to an OWI arrest. The guy was/is a good guy and is still a good friend. Not making excuses for his actions but he was having some problems at the time. I was there when the arrest was made and offered to get the guy home. I did not interfere just made the offer and returned to my car. The officer decided to make the arrest,his choice. In reality I lost a lot of respect for both officers that night. I am not sure why but that is how I feel about it.

I will go to great lengths to protect any LEO for a whole lot of things. Not only for the individual officer but for all of our reputations. My two cents worth.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Conservator of the Forum
    I'm old school. Nobody hurt or no property damage? I'd find you a ride home. If you refuse, that opens up a whole new can of worms ...

my pride and joy
    I'll be honest I'd be ****ed if this happened. If S/he was not an A** I would call his supervisor to take him home, yeah thats right he is going to come ear beat him for me if possible.

i can honestly say if ur an officer in my dept no i wouldnt arrest you and b4 anyone jumps on my back about this by dept regs as a P.O. i cant arrest another P.O. or a Det Sgt Lt ect....

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldBadge View Post
    I'm old school. Nobody hurt or no property damage? I'd find you a ride home. If you refuse, that opens up a whole new can of worms ...
    +1, I've let many civilians go, I'm not mandated to make an arrest. But if you're an AH, I might change my mind.

Forum Member

Thats a tough call....if he was just barely over the limit i think I would take his keys from him and have a friend come and pick him up and have the car park off the road...if he was two sheets to the wind then click click......but overall it is how the off duty officer treats me....if he is a jerk (click click)

Forum Member

Park the car and give him/her a ride home.

Blizzination
    Would probably depend on the demenor and attitude....really a judgement call, I'm on the fence and could go either way.

Forum Member
    I am getting him a ride home.... One, I am not arresting another cop in this situation you gave, Two, I certainly dont want that reputation. There are Officers around that have done similiar things and NO ONE trusts them, they are out casts.

SOI
    Surly Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by Bing_Oh View Post
    Sorry but you're getting hooked. Whether or not I write a traffic violation falls under officer discretion and I've given many a citizen a break, but DUI's don't get breaks.
    Yup. If you can't pass SFST then you are going to jail. If you make the decision to put me in that position I'm going to treat you like I would anyone else. I don't cut slack to DWIs. Class B Misdemeanor and above in my presence is ending in an arrest.

Fortunately I have not been put in that position yet.

SOI
    Surly Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldBadge View Post
    I'm old school.
    Your position has nothing to do with being "old school" or new school or anything else. I like the old style thinking and methodology when it comes to a lot of things, but sometimes the "old ways" were flat out wrong and don't work so we adapt. And back in the olden days cops arrested cops when they broke the law. It might not have been any more popular then than it is now but if it was the right thing to do, it was the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sac Law Man View Post
    .....I certainly dont want that reputation. There are Officers around that have done similiar things and NO ONE trusts them, they are out casts.
    Well I am not going to pick and choose which laws to enforce based on what would make me popular. I especially don't want to be popular with anyone who would let someone go who endangered lives, simply because of that person's job.

And I think it's sad that an officer could be outcast for nothing more than doing his job. Those people should ostracize the officer who put the arresting officer in that situation to begin with and endangered the lives of the citizens they swore to protect, not the officer who did his job.

Only a sorry piece of crap would go out and target someone because of their job. But there is nothing wrong with enforcing the law when it's called for, regardless of what job someone does.

Forum Member
    I've seen an awful lot of news stories where LEOs and their agencies got raked over the coals for not making DUI arrest on other LEOs here in Alabama in the last 4-5 years. The one I remember causing the biggest sewer storm was when an officer got the former chief of the Montgomery P.D. a ride home instead of arresting him. The former chief was also driving the city's car at the time he was stopped, making matters worse. Nope, sorry, LEO or not, if someone is DUI they're going to jail. I see no difference between this and DV.

Forum Member

Would you arrest me?

Those people should ostracize the officer who put the arresting officer in that situation to begin with and endangered the lives of the citizens they swore to protect, not the officer who did his job.
    I agree.... We had a Sgt get arrested for DUI.. Whenever I see him, I think to myself what a lop..

I still dont want the drama..

DENIED!
    Big City vs Little City.

When will it stop.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The State View Post
    This is SUCH a sore subject.......
    Agreed, but just wanted this specific subject mentioned to see the responses.

I also asked because it recently happened to me. We got a call for a subject passed out at the wheel of his vehicle, stopped in traffic, with his blinkers on. It was 2AM, so not a major hazard. When we got there, we woke him up, and while getting his ID we saw his badge.

Just curious to see how everyone would have handled it.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCTNT View Post
    Big City vs Little City.

When will it stop.
    Wha?
    Last edited by marcusindc; 03-10-2009 at 03:10 PM.

Forum Member
    Barring an accident, your vehicle is towed. You can call a sober, licesned driver to come get you. If its not to far away you can ride with me.

Hell on Wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by marcusindc

Would you arrest me?

I thought we could step it up a bit and see how everyone would react with a DUI. You pull me over after seeing me swerve a few times and brake late on traffic light. I'm pleasant, though very intoxicated, and obviously over .08. You only find out I'm a LEO because when I reach for my drivers license, you see my badge.
    Yes .... and you best not be carrying concealed while DUI.

(I know ... you're only asking a hypothetical, please don't take the shortness of my reply personal. It's just indicative of the hesitation I'ld show.)
    Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 03-10-2009 at 06:14 PM. Reason: it's in red
    "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Forum Member

Geez...some of you guys take this job waaaaaaaaaaay to seriously. DUI the same as a DV?!!...or..."best not be carrying concealed"?! You guys are so hardcore.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rookie2812 View Post
    Geez...some of you guys take this job waaaaaaaaaaay to seriously. DUI the same as a DV?!!...or..."best not be carrying concealed"?! You guys are so hardcore.
    Not hardcore. Just mature enough to recognize that DUI is a serious crime that shouldn't be swept under the rug. DUI isn't some civil traffic offense, it puts innocents lives at risk. Any cop that drives DUI shouldn't be a cop in the first place, who cares if they lose their job? I wouldn't want someone like that as my back up.

Forum Member

I'm going to refrain from submitting my opinion on this matter again as it is known by some on this forum. Suffice to say I disagree with some of you jagoffs, and agree with the rest of you.......jagoffs.

I think this topic qualifies as a DEAD HORSE!

Forum Member
    I think everyone looks at this from the wrong angle. Why should a drunk officer put YOU in this position? They chose to get drunk and then drive. I'm not gonna get my certification yanked because it's discovered I gave a cop a break. I've never given any citizen a break when it comes to DUI. Do you really think your department will back you when the news finds out you swept a DUI arrest on an officer under the rug? HA!

If it was some civil traffic violation, i wouldn't cite an officer though. I can justify that because I give citizens breaks all day long for the stupid driving shenanigans I observe.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last