Forum Member

Fictitious Plates

If you have fictitious plates on your vehicle and you get pulled over and the original plates that are suppose to be on the vehicle are expired can you charge for fictitious plates and expired plates even though the fictitious plates are not expired?????

Forum Member

What did you do?

Forum Member

fictitious and expired and warning for left of center i think it will go if not they'll drop the expired plates. What would you do? Do you think the expired plates will go through?
    Last edited by Rookie08; 03-09-2009 at 05:12 AM.

Forum Member

If the paltes are fictitious, by definition they can not be EXPIRED.... You could however charge fictitious plates and operating an unregistered vehicle, and maybe uninsured vehicle.. Thats what i usually do.

An Obvious problem
    In Cali you would be going to jail on a felony:

4463. (a) A person who, with intent to prejudice, damage, or
    defraud, commits any of the following acts is guilty of a felony and
    upon conviction thereof shall be punished by imprisonment in the
    state prison for 16 months or two or three years, or by imprisonment
    in a county jail for not more than one year:
    (1) Alters, forges, counterfeits, or falsifies a certificate of
    ownership, registration card, certificate, license, license plate,
    device issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate, or permit
    provided for by this code or a comparable certificate of ownership,
    registration card, certificate, license, license plate, device
    comparable to that issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate, or
    permit provided for by any foreign jurisdiction, or alters, forges,
    counterfeits, or falsifies the document, device, or plate with intent
    to represent it as issued by the department, or alters, forges,
    counterfeits, or falsifies with fraudulent intent an endorsement of
    transfer on a certificate of ownership or other document evidencing
    ownership, or with fraudulent intent displays or causes or permits to
    be displayed or have in his or her possession a blank, incomplete,
    canceled, suspended, revoked, altered, forged, counterfeit, or false
    certificate of ownership, registration card, certificate, license,
    license plate, device issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate,
    or permit.
    Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Just another guy

It's not expired plates. It's expired registration. So yes, it's good.

Forum Member
    ...and you were on your way to the DMV to straighten it all out when you got stopped, right? I HATE when that happens...
    "The wicked flee when no man pursueth
    but the righteous are bold as a lion"

Proverbs 28:1, inscription beneath NLEOM lion.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwaylaw View Post
    ...and you were on your way to the DMV to straighten it all out when you got stopped, right? I HATE when that happens...
    His profile says Sworn Officer...so I'm hoping that he was the one doing the stopping and not the one getting stopped LOL

Forum Member
    I've done improper transfer plates and expired registration before. I've also done false plates and failure to register. Two seperate issues, so you can write both if you choose to.

Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwaylaw View Post
    LOL.. You hit the nail right on the head. I hear this everytime I pull traffic for this. It's either going to be tommorrow, or they are on their way there right now. It's always a tow and a crapload of cit's in MD.

Forum Member

I'm on my way to DMV right now.... or I've got an appointment for the 15th, or tomorrow. Yep, heard it all. Let me help you expedite things, I'm towing your car tonight and you can go to DMV in the morning. Oh, I work pm's DMV closes two hours after I'm in service.

As far as fictitious plates, in Ca straight up DMV felony they get to go to jail right now.

Planes suck!
    You guys in Cali are tough. In FL, it's "attaching tag not assigned" and it's a misdemeanor traffic violation. But you'd still go to jail.
    Airborne Cops are closer to God.
    Arms and legs are just extensions of flight controls.

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

shook'n cats, ringn bells

towed and some citations for me.

Forum Member

For me, you would get a ticket for Misused Plates and your vehicle would be at the impound yard. The plates get booked as evidence and will never be returned to you. I get two or three of these a week.
    I have the heart of a child..................................No really, it is in a jar on my desk.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookie08 View Post
    fictitious and expired and warning for left of center i think it will go if not they'll drop the expired plates. What would you do? Do you think the expired plates will go through?
    Depends on your definition of "fictitious." If you are simply using plates that do not belong on your vehicle, then we cite for unlawful use of license plate. If you are using a "made up" plate or an orginial plate that has been altered, it is a felony in TN.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Forum Member
    In California you pretty much need a straight up confession for the 4463VC Felony to even be considered for filing. If they do confess to defrauding the DMV, then they will most likely get convicted. The DMV doesn't mess around when it comes to getting their money.

I had this very arrest a few weeks back.... the girl admitted to stealing a tag from another car and placing it on hers. I received a little flack from other fellow Officers.... but who cares.... I have to pay for registration for (4) vehicles and I'm always on time with my payment. I hate picking up the slack for people that like to skirt the law.
    Yes I'm a LEO... but I do no care enough to go through the trouble of changing the screen name.... sorry

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    Quote Originally Posted by LE2BE View Post
    In California you pretty much need a straight up confession for the 4463VC Felony to even be considered for filing. If they do confess to defrauding the DMV, then they will most likely get convicted. The DMV doesn't mess around when it comes to getting their money.
    Under 4463(a) VC, the only requirement for prosecution is the officer show that the suspect "Alters, forges, counterfeits, or falsifies a certificate of
    ownership, registration card, certificate, license, license plate,
    device issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate, or permit
    provided for by this code or a comparable certificate of ownership,
    registration card, certificate, license, license plate, device
    comparable to that issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate, or
    permit provided for by any foreign jurisdiction, or alters, forges,
    counterfeits, or falsifies the document, device, or plate with intent
    to represent it as issued by the department, or alters, forges,
    counterfeits, or falsifies with fraudulent intent an endorsement of
    transfer on a certificate of ownership or other document evidencing
    ownership, or with fraudulent intent displays or causes or permits to
    be displayed or have in his or her possession a blank, incomplete,
    canceled, suspended, revoked, altered, forged, counterfeit, or false
    certificate of ownership, registration card, certificate, license,
    license plate, device issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate,
    or permit
    ".

That is prima facie evidence for prosecution. You do not need any confession - oral or signed - of intent to defraud. Display alone is sufficient.

To quote the phrases, "Cuff and Stuff!" "Hook and Book" et al!. The car belongs to the state, the body goes to jail and the plates, documents, etc are immediately siezed as evidence. Prosecution is easy.

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

An Obvious problem
    LE2BE I think your confusing 4462.5 with 4463. 4462.5 is illegaly displaying a true tab, 4463 is displaying a fake or counterfeit one.

Example I had a guy that owed two cars. One was a new car one was a 20 year old beater. He renewed his registration on the 20 year old beater and placed the tab on his newer car saving himself several hundred dollars in reg. fees. This was a violation of 4462.5.

Another person made a color photo copy of somebody elses temporary tag and was displaying it on their vehicle they hadn't registered in over 2 years, this was the felony violation of 4463 and they went to jail.
    Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Bored

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScott31 View Post
    Depends on your definition of "fictitious." If you are simply using plates that do not belong on your vehicle, then we cite for unlawful use of license plate. If you are using a "made up" plate or an orginial plate that has been altered, it is a felony in TN.
    Altered, Forged PennDot documents is a misdemeanor 1 here in PA.
    If the tags are in fact made up in someones basement like fake inspection stickers, most of the kids at the local Art Institute do those, we woul;d arrest for the M-1. Also probably call in the State Police auto squad.

If the tags are just expired or not on the correct vehicle, then its just a few cites
    I got nothing for now

Forum Member

I'd cite for open container and driving on the wrong side of the roadway, just to keep things interesting
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Forum Member

Ficticious plates/expired plates are two seperate issues. (Charges).I'd cite the violator for the applicable charge.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CruiserClass View Post
    I've done improper transfer plates and expired registration before. I've also done false plates and failure to register. Two seperate issues, so you can write both if you choose to.
    This the same CruiserClass on the ford truck forums?
    Last edited by tippmann87; 03-23-2009 at 12:24 AM.

Forum Member

In DC, we get a lot of fake temporary tags, the auto auctions in particular seem to sell them. The charges are usually "Fraudulent Temporary Tag" and "Unregistered Auto." But of course, the people driving these vehicles are often unlicensed or have other issues.

Hell on Wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookie08
    Fictitious Plates

If you have fictitious plates on your vehicle and you get pulled over and the original plates that are suppose to be on the vehicle are expired can you charge for fictitious plates and expired plates even though the fictitious plates are not expired?????
    I did a long post, I was thinking the fictitious plates were like home made or altered and thus a serious charge indeed. I just reread it, and quoted it ...
    ... you're talking about running a current plate registered on anotrher vehicle, not the one it's on when you stopped, and they did it because the plate registered to this vehicle is expired.
    • I'ld charge the one charge of "Improper Registration",
    • take the tag and destroy it,
    • and give him a copy of form I fill out (I forget the form number, have several in the car),
    • and call a wrecker to tow his car off of my roadside.

Assuming this happens and the plates and all are from my state. I do not seize and destroy out of state plates for improper registration, it's not authorized. Then I'ld just tow it after writing the ticket, but leave the plate with the driver.
    Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 03-23-2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: thought more on it.
    "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Forum Member
    This scenario would be regarded as a traffic matter and I would be issuing tickets for Unregistered, Uninsured, & Attach false plates. If that driver has previous history for the same thing before writing the tickets, there is a good chance the driver would be sent to court those offences as he or she didn't learn from his prior error of judgement.