Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Federal age limit

Are there any federal LE jobs that do not fall under the maximum age limit?

Forum Member
    There are a lot of Uniformed LE jobs that don't fall under the LE retirement plan such as Pentagon Police, FPS, Dept. of Commerce Police, Bureau of Indian Affairs, Vet Affairs Police, The Bureau of Engraving and Printing, all the LE on Military Installations, GPO Police, etc... Just have to look on usajobs for 0083 positions.

A lot of the jobs are not tradional police jobs per say, they are more orientated towards force protection which means there are foot posts and walking posts instead of the usual driving around on patrol.

There are a few 1811 jobs out there that are not under retirement either. The Military, the VA, and several other agencies will hire them from time-to-time. One just has to look at each annoucement and go from there.

Just depends what you are looking for and where you are located at.

Good Luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bajakirch View Post
    Pentagon Police, DOD Police, ATF Inspectors, DEA Diversion Investigators,VA Police, FPS officers, FBI Police, USPS Police, US Mint Police, CIA Police, and a bunch more are uncovered positions...as far as I know.

Critter Cop
    Also NOAA-OLE Enforcement Officers, though there are only about 25 in the entire country, I think (most are in Alaska).

Someone told me you could be a seasonal Park Ranger with NPS, but I'm not sure on that.

Forum Member

FERS or CSRS?

Quote Originally Posted by ignignokt373 View Post
    There are a lot of Uniformed LE jobs that don't fall under the LE retirement plan such as Pentagon Police, FPS, Dept. of Commerce Police, Bureau of Indian Affairs, Vet Affairs Police, The Bureau of Engraving and Printing, all the LE on Military Installations, GPO Police, etc... Just have to look on usajobs for 0083 positions.
    Anyone familiar with the US Mint, GPO, or BEP police know if they are covered under the FERS 1% multiplier or are they under the CSRS which I think has a higher multiplier in reference to retirement benefits?

One Night In Bangkok
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
    Anyone familiar with the US Mint, GPO, or BEP police know if they are covered under the FERS 1% multiplier or are they under the CSRS which I think has a higher multiplier in reference to retirement benefits?
    Everybody is under FERS. The last people under CSRS were hired in the 80's.
    I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
    When FERS was passed in the 80's all new hires are hired with that retirement scheme. The only reason CSRS is still around is due to the "grandfather" clause and not making people change their retirement mid-career.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLine View Post
    Also NOAA-OLE Enforcement Officers, though there are only about 25 in the entire country, I think (most are in Alaska).

Someone told me you could be a seasonal Park Ranger with NPS, but I'm not sure on that.
    NOAA-OLE just got hit pretty hard by a GAO report. One of the big items was the ratio of 1811 to uniformed given the type of work they do. You may see a lot more of the uniformed positions open up in the next couple years. We'll see.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLine View Post
    That is correct. There is no upper age limit for seasonal Rangers in the NPS.

Click it or Ticket!!!
    U.S. TVA Police

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by guardianagent View Post
    NOAA-OLE just got hit pretty hard by a GAO report. One of the big items was the ratio of 1811 to uniformed given the type of work they do. You may see a lot more of the uniformed positions open up in the next couple years. We'll see.
    I know many of the agents want to see more enforcement officers (EO) mainly just to "fly the flag." However many of the bosses don't like EO's one of the reasons is because of them not being covered by 6c. As far as I know there are none in the NE, one in FL, one in Louisiana, two in CA, none in the NW, a couple in the Pacific Islands, and about 12 in Alaska.

I got a feeling and hope they open up more EO positions.

Forum Member

Every time i think about the federal age limit it makes me sick to my stomach. I'm a currently 39yrs old a police officer with years of experience in law enforcement plus a BA CJS degree along with 12 years in the Marines as a infantry platoon sergeant. That magical number of 37 sucks and can kick rocks. Their are a lot of guys I know from the service and from the private sector that have a lot of experience to offer these agencies. I tell some rookies that will listen that they should go back get their degree an go FED before its to late and they end up in the bone yard like the rest of us.

Forum Member
    If your a veteran and apply under veterans preferance, the Merit Services Protection Board (the appeals board for federal hiring) made a ruling a few years ago that age cannot be used against you. I don't know how many times it's been applied since the ruling, but it's worth a shot.

Here's the ruling: http://www.mspb.gov/netsearch/viewdo...cation=ACROBAT

Forum Member

The only agency with 1811s that I know of that changed their hiring practises based off of that ruling was DSS. The age limit for vets at DSS is 40 instead of 37. All the other agencies with an age limit of 37 still have it for vets.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by jb74 View Post
    All the other agencies with an age limit of 37 still have it for vets.
    Errr....there are other agencies that allow folks to be over the magic age and still apply.... just have to read the annoucement.

I just appled for 3 1881 jobs and I am 42.....and the agency specifically said that if you had VEOA status, you could apply....

Forum Member

Did they still require non-vets to be 37 or younger at those agencies? Were they any of the big ones or mostly IG type positions? Anyway that is pretty nice. I think at some point they are going to have to raise the retirement age up from 57 and then there will probably be some changes for everyone not just us vets.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by jb74 View Post
    Did they still require non-vets to be 37 or younger at those agencies? Were they any of the big ones or mostly IG type positions? Anyway that is pretty nice. I think at some point they are going to have to raise the retirement age up from 57 and then there will probably be some changes for everyone not just us vets.
    Non-Vets still have to be under 37..... and a combo of agencies.... Just have to look if you are a Vet and read the entire annoucement.....

Forum Member

I retired from Customs and Border protection a little over a year ago. It was mandatory at age 57. However the office of Air and Marine began hiring pilots up to age 40 several years ago and now hires for any 6c position up to age 40, also Border patrol now hires up to age 40. Those hired who are over the age of 37 will be allowed to put in their twenty to qualify for 6c retirement. As I understand it the mandatory retirement age of 57 is waiverable at the discretion of the Department head up to age 60. I do not know of anyone for whom that mandatory retiremnt age has been waived who has their twenty years in on reaching 57. Apparently the age 60 mandatory retiremnt is statutory.

Motor Officer

Non Vets have to adhere to the age requirement where Vets can apply over the age requirement. Now whether or not they will seriously give an individual over the age cutoff serious consideration remains to be seen.
    God created some police officers perfect, the rest he put in cars.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by FPS1588 View Post
    Vets can apply over the age requirement. Now whether or not they will seriously give an individual over the age cutoff serious consideration remains to be seen.
    Exactly......I am in wait right now with an agency that didn't process me any farther the last time they hired.... Just go the thin letter that said no thanks....

Forum Member

Just a heads up gents. I am a retired Marine and graduated FLETC CITP as an 1811 back in September last year on my 43rd birthday. I am currently a Special Agent. The age limit doesn't exist for veterans anymore and that is across the board for all agencies.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by DSS Hopeful View Post
    The age limit doesn't exist for veterans anymore and that is across the board for all agencies.
    Errr....you might want to get with a few agencies and remind them of that.

I saw a notice (National Park Service for a GS-11 LE Ranger at Peal Harbor)last month saying they didn't care if you were a Vet.....no expections to the 37 rule....

I know the Chief Ranger there and he said that it wasn't him....it came from HQ....

Patrullero
    Quote Originally Posted by bajakirch View Post
    I know for a fact that the BOP provides waivers for people in skilled fields. We had a 50+ year old in our ICT class. She was a nurse.
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKansan View Post
    I know for a fact that the BOP provides waivers for people in skilled fields. We had a 50+ year old in our ICT class. She was a nurse.
    Thus far, from what I have seen, they aren't doing that for CO's.....Investigators....and a few other jobs inside your wall.... or the wall out here in Hono....

Patrullero
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    Thus far, from what I have seen, they aren't doing that for CO's.....Investigators....and a few other jobs inside your wall.... or the wall out here in Hono....
    Not that I have seen. There was one recruit in a class that was running concurrently with mine that appeared to be over the age of 37 and he was a CO. My thought at the time was that he previously was covered by the 6c retirement elsewhere, and decided to make the switch to the BOP.
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last