Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
    Banned

Thumbs down Someone's a tough guy.

I'd just like to say, first of all, if you wince at violence, especially adult on child violence...

YOU MAY NOT WANT TO WATCH THIS!!

Normally a fellow Deputy would get a little bit of a benefit of a doubt. But HOLY S**T!! Everybody can plainly see what that was about. C.O.C.

Can you imagine how many cops it took to keep her dad off HIM??

Patrullero
    Honestly I have seen plenty of takedowns before and they are never pretty.

This happened back in November according to the date on the camera. Was any disciplinary action taken?
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

Forum Member

As always, it's just a portion of the event.

Banned

IONO... not my Dept.

And that was a takedown combined with a lesson. The lesson turned out to be his.

Portion? Looks like he opened up the entire can on that 15 year old girl.

And dumped it on her face
    Last edited by Looker; 02-28-2009 at 07:56 PM.

Head Honcho
    I think they call that Git'R Done!

but seriously, 10 seconds of video doesn't tell me squat. Though he does seem pretty overzealous
    "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Forum Member
    If her mamma and daddy would have done that a long time ago, she probably wouldn't be getting locked up at 15 yrs old! But thats just me!
    Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Forum Member
    I think closing the door and losing her booking paperwork for a few extra hours would be better plus he wouldnt be all over the internet...
    Hoping to get picked up when I return from Iraq

Forum Member
    Please ...do you really think it took that level of control to get that 15 yr old girl in cuffs? I love to defend officers especially when video only show part of the story. But that was straight out over-reaction.

And not only did he over-react on video he put his fellow officer in a spot I never want to be in.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISPY4U2 View Post
    Tex, if I'm ever in the Lone Star state, which is unlikely unless I'm being held prisoner against my will by separatist extremists, remind me to buy you a beer. You make more sense every post.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juicesnn4e2 View Post
    She assaulted him first, and he restrained her.
    Im not here to argue about perception and I am sure that there is a few levels of force besides basketballing her head like that..
    Hoping to get picked up when I return from Iraq

Forum Member

Ouch! 15 y/o in jail? Not a good path to be starting out on...
    Only the dead have seen the end of the war.-Plato

God Bless America! • Remember all have given some, but some have given all.

Forum Member

You dont know this girls skills. For all I know shes a 10 degree black belt. Just because someones a girl, or little, dont take it easy on them. Thats when YOU get hurt.
    She's 15. I don't care how much she knows about martial arts or what drugs she's on or anything else, two adult male cops can kick her ***, no questions asked. If you think that level of force if necessary, maybe you should find a different career path before you get yourself put in jail and sued.

Forum Member

Wow. He picked her up by her hair.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy Smallz View Post
    Although the little brat deserved to be punished for kicking her shoe at the officer, this was NOT the appropriate punishment. The officer put himself and his partner in a very bad position.
    Last time I checked, we don't punish people or kids for anything, thats the courts job.

Excessive, no matter what happened prior, no matter what we didn't see in the video.

Better him than me when it comes to the IA.
    It takes a Wolf.......

Forum Member

Id like to know what he was thinking...Im with the guy that says 2 adult males should be able to handle a 15 yr old female regardless of what she is on or what training she has...if not they might not be in the right field.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISPY4U2 View Post
    I'd have pooped myself.
    "But Officer, it's not my butthole. Really, it's my cousins butthole."

-V

Banned

You dont know this girls skills. For all I know shes a 10 degree black belt. Just because someones a girl, or little, dont take it easy on them. Thats when YOU get hurt.
    You don't really believe that do you?

Forum Member
    A front snap kick followed by a series of punches (take down not so bad) is all a no-no when you have another deputy their. She is no angel and something has to be done otherwise every other inmate in there will act how ever they want to the guards much less kicking their shoes off intentionally at the guard in spite. He should have just unloaded OC gas in her and closed the door and let her flop around like a fish.
    Last edited by Nightshift va; 03-01-2009 at 10:11 AM.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by alexg View Post
    She's 15. I don't care how much she knows about martial arts or what drugs she's on or anything else, two adult male cops can kick her ***, no questions asked. If you think that level of force if necessary, maybe you should find a different career path before you get yourself put in jail and sued.
    Weird how I can read someone's post and know theyaren't a cop. Thanks for your opinion but maybe before you come to a law enforcement site and explain the facts to us you should become a cop first.
    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuofan View Post
    Wow. He picked her up by her hair.
    He took her down by her hair. We were trained to use hair as well when doing take downs and vehicle extractions because there is no permanent harm or injury in hair pulling and it works. I know it looks bad though. It all does but look at her actions also. It never looks pretty when someone is taken down even if the person doing it is very skilled and not sloppy in that action. We always are in the wrong when someone is handled. It's not a pretty job. What would any of you have done that would have looked any better?
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Banned

Uhhh.... closed the door and called for mom and dad????

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Looker View Post
    Uhhh.... closed the door and called for mom and dad????
    Because they have done such a great job already right?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexg View Post
    Anyone can be sued. If we thought like that we would not react at all. The question is did she receive any real injuries as a result. If not what are you going to sue for she was already in the jail. There should be a more serious reaction to actions like she displayed in a correctional or jail facility because of the danger to the other people working in the jail by the other inmates. Otherwise everyone could just do what they wanted to do. If you are in the jail, a great deal of lattitude needs to be allowed to the jailers and the guards or deputies that work in such a volitle position surrounded by dangerous people. I doubt she will throw her shoes at him again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by timmyturner View Post
    Because they have done such a great job already right?
    Irrelevant (besides, you're jumping to conclusions).

Quote Originally Posted by juicesnn4e2
    In addition to restraining her he also:

Kicked her
    Punched her
    Bashed her face against the wall
    Pulled her to the ground using her hair
    Punched her twice in the head while she was pinned face-down on the ground by two officers and unable to move
    Picked her up using only her hair

He could have accomplished the same thing by forcefully pulling her arms behind her back and cuffing her. That is the definition of excessive use of force.

But beyond that, as others have pointed out there was no need to even restrain her. She was already in a cell. He could have just closed the cell door and added another charge to her sheet for the 'assault'.
    Last edited by Fëanor; 03-01-2009 at 12:06 PM.

Forum Member
    I am a citizen with 16 years in the private security industry.

Below are two links that give further details about this incident. They are from the Seattle PI that broke the story and obtained and released the original video.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/..._schene28.html

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/s...sp?source=mypi

Apparently the county prosecutor will press misdemeanor assault charges against the officer. The girl was examined by paramedics and found to have suffered no injuries. If she had the charges would have been a felony assualt.

"The girl was arrested after she was caught in her parents' car, which had been reported stolen from her parents' Tukwila home. Deputy Travis Brunner spotted the car driving without headlights about 3:45 a.m. on 32nd Avenue South in SeaTac and pulled it over.

She and another 15-year old girl were arrested and taken to SeaTac City Hall to be fingerprinted before being transported to the youth detention center."

At the time of the arrest they did not know that she had only taken her parents car without their permission.

I usually try to get friends and co-workers to withhold judgments that are hostile to police officers when these type of videos come up, like the BART incident shooting, from which very little can be inferred i.e. they were not there, the video shot was from a hand held cell phone that was jittery and told nothing of what was going on before.

The same for take downs shown from police dashboard cams, usually b&w, without sound and involving a person that is not in yet in restraints. I try to get them to remember that just watching a video does not give you all the facts and police officers are also innocent until proven guilty.

But this video is difficult to defend. It is from an official police video camera. I am sure she had a really bad attitude and was using foul language to the officers, but to me, simply shutting the door would have diffused the situation. I might think differently if this was some punk scumbag that needed to be taught a lesson, but this little wisp of a girl? That is a judgment call to be sure and I would hope all police officers strive for just that. After all, I think most officers, if they can, would like to avoid taking someone down if only for their own safety's sake.

This kind of behavior, if it in fact turns out to be unjustified, hurts all police in the eyes of the public.

Be safe out there.

Forum Member
    I have defended most officer actions like this shown on this site. In most cases, I think the cops do a fantastic job of minimizing the force used against people with no intent of minimizing the force they use against the cops.

In this case, I can't find a way to defend this guy. I agree with the LEOs on here who said, "Just close the door." I wouldn't even have a problem with him cuffing her, restraining her, whatever.

My problem with this is that he didn't JUST do that. He retaliated in anger. I am thankful the LEOs I and my family have dealt with have been more professional and restrained than this guy.
    If I tell you what I know, I'd have to kill you. Fortunately, I don't know much.

Forum Member
    I simply cannot defend the LEO on this. Bad o him.

That said, some folks should take a hard look in the mirror. Hurting people is on occasion, a necessary part of the job. Not an evil part, just part. Being remorseful about it is non-productive. I have no idea why some folks get so bent out of shape when it comes to putting the Habeus Grabus on someone.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last