Forum Member

Richardson civil service test coming up

I just got this email today from my school. I've heard about a lot of cities in the DFW going on hiring freezes, so I wanted to post this as a heads up for anybody looking to apply soon:

I would like to inform you that the Richardson Police Department will be giving a civil service test for the position of Police Officer on Monday, April 27th, 2009.
    The test will be administered at 6:00 p.m. at our City Hall.

Please note that interested persons are required to make application with the Human Resources Department between March 23rd and April 22nd, via our website.

We plan to have successful candidates hired and in the Police Academy on August 10th, 2009.

Information about our department, the position, benefits and process can be viewed at our web site: www.ahighercaliber.net

Also, I would be glad to personally answer any questions and/or send out recruiting brochures to interested parties.

Bryan D. Sylvester
    Assistant Chief
    Richardson Police Department
    140 N. Greenville Ave.
    Richardson TX 75081
    972-744-4897
    I'm not sure how many they're looking to hire or their physical requirements. I'm strongly considering applying - their academy start date is a week after I finish my final courses for my bachelors degree

Forum Member

Last time I looked at their site they were looking to hire 6. Their pt requirements aren't easy to find but if I remember correctly if you go to the cities website and look for jobs it's listed there. Also if you get hired ignore the black cobra driving around town

Forum Member

I just went through the entire process with RPD. If you need some answers I could help.

About 131 were at the test and about 80 were left afterward. We filled out a short history paper and from that they disqualified more people (around 50 left after this part.) They give you the option of practicing the pat 2 different days (prior to the civil test IIRC.) They hold the PAT at the Richardson Fire Training Facility and we had the choice to do it the following day of the exam or IIRC that Thurs. The test is really quite easy and it's pass or fail they don't record your time so everyone barely moves to complete it in the allotted time with room to spare. The hardest parts are the 6' wall you have to go up and name off 2 license plates. For some a course that consisted of: 2' wall, 4' wall, pole to simulate running through a crowd, a culvert, 4' pit you have to leap across, window to go in and out of, a mat to lay on (you get up quick and are dizzy) and walk across a balance beam. I can't remember the specific times you were allowed for that part but I think it was around 55 seconds. There are other parts but those two were the only parts that anyone had any trouble with.

Following the pat we went to the Richardson Civic Center (also where the civil exam is held) and we had a brief first interview with the background investigators who also give you the PHB. I think we had a week to complete and return it.

After this you get a call to meet your BI and the long process starts.

Within weeks I took my poly

They require a ishihara color blindness test (14 plates at least IIRC) that you pay for.

Unfortunately I failed the oral miserably. When I originally applied online back in Sept./Oct. they were hiring 8 and by the time I got through the entire process they dropped it to 6 positions they were filling and I was one of 8.
    Last edited by aquill1; 03-09-2009 at 01:53 PM.

Forum Member

I was just saying for mine they had 8 spots to fill. Just because they have 8 doesn't mean they fill the 8. They dropped the 8 to 6.

If you want to list all aspects you missed the small area you have to run before you pull the dummy, climb the ladder, spare tire you pull from the trunk and the restraint test.

I only listed the areas that people had troubles with. The people that failed were generally very out of shape, overweight or had knee injuries or things of that nature. The wall and the agility course were the only parts that anyone had a problem with. All the other parts there wasn't a person that didn't complete.

Ft. Worth's PAT was quite a bit harder than RPD's, we actually had people pass out and have to be taken away in an ambulance. When you go they will tell you to take it easy since your time doesn't put you up higher on their ranks.