Forum Member

Juvenile Battery(Domestic Violence)

When I was 16, I made a mistake and got caught and charged with (shoplifting) a 40 dollar item, that was adjudicated. Another incident around the same time period, Me and my dad got into a fight and I was charged with (Battery Domestic Violence). The charge was dropped and Abandoned and I went home that night.

Now Im 21 graduating junior college with a degree in C.J. and Thinking about getting a Florida Law enforcement certification or Corrections certification.

I dont want to waste my time If something like this will prevent me from getting a job.

Are these things I should be worried about?

I heard that corrections is less strict about background " issues " is this true?

If I want to become a state attorney do they too endure juvenile background scrutiny?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by YoungRecruit198 View Post
    Juvenile Offenses are viewed on a case by case basics. The fact that you were not convicted of the Domestic Battery charge is a plus. Everyone has done something wrong, no one is perfect. Apply Apply im sure you will be hired.
    It seems that people are starting to ignore the rules...

ONLY LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS CAN *REPLY* TO POSTS IN 'ASK A COP'
    All Others BANNED on FIRST Offense

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FLoridaboy1 View Post
    When I was 16, I made a mistake and got caught and charged with (shoplifting) a 40 dollar item, that was adjudicated. Another incident around the same time period, Me and my dad got into a fight and I was charged with (Battery Domestic Violence). The charge was dropped and Abandoned and I went home that night.

Now Im 21 graduating junior college with a degree in C.J. and Thinking about getting a Florida Law enforcement certification or Corrections certification.

I dont want to waste my time If something like this will prevent me from getting a job.

Are these things I should be worried about?

I heard that corrections is less strict about background " issues " is this true?

If I want to become a state attorney do they too endure juvenile background scrutiny?
    Law Enforcement agencies view Domestic Violence situations very seriously. Even as a Corrections Officer, it would be neccessary for you to carry a firearm at times. Any Domestic Violence situation could be an issue in this regard. Both the Domestic Violence situation, and the Theft charge(s) will have to be fully disclosed. This disclosure is required regardless of the final disposition of the charge. I would suggest you visit the website of any department you're interested in, or attempt to speak to a Recruiter. Determine whether or not your two situations would prevent you from being considered for employment.