Forum Member

I got a handicap ticket but I have a handicap placard

Hi, I recently recieved a handicap parking ticket for 275 dollars for not properly displaying my placard. I do understand that the officer was just doing his job (although if he had taken ONE second to look inside my car it was clearly there), but when i approached him with my handicap placard he refused to do anything. He then gave me incorrect information and told me i had to drive 35 miles to a different station where they could clear it up for me. Can anyone tell me what i should do? I just had ankle surgery and ya. I am contesting this ticket but i do not know exactly what I should say... what do you guys think my chances are? At the bottom there is something called a proof of correction and it seems like if he signs it off i only have to pay 10 dollars... the officer who issued the ticket to me said he could not do anything about it...was he lying? Thank you in advance!

Salty Dog

No, he wasn't lying. Once the ticket is written, it has to be turned in. There should be printed instructions on the back of the ticket for how to handle it.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    Actually, you failed to mention where the placard was displayed.

If it is not PROPERLY displayed, then you should expect a ticket. It must be PROMINANTLY displayed by hanging it from the rear view mirror or placed upon the dash board. If it is lying on the seat of your car, it is not properly displayed!

It is not the officer's responsibility to search the interior of the vehicle to see if a placard exists.

By the way, here is some information you may not appreciate:

Failure to Display Disabled Placard: Administrative Charge

40226. An issuing agency may, in lieu of collecting a fine for a citation for failure to display a disabled placard, charge an administrative fee not to exceed twenty-five dollars ($25) to process cancellation of a citation in any case where the individual who received the citation can show proof that he or she had been issued a valid placard at the time the citation was received.

Added Sec. 5, Ch. 640, Stats. 2002. Effective January 1, 2003.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Not so Special Agent...
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtCHP View Post
    Actually, you failed to mention where the placard was displayed.

If it is not PROPERLY displayed, then you should expect a ticket. It must be PROMINANTLY displayed by hanging it from the rear view mirror or placed upon the dash board. If it is lying on the seat of your car, it is not properly displayed!

It is not the officer's responsibility to search the interior of the vehicle to see if a placard exists.

By the way, here is some information you may not appreciate:
    Oh I think he should appreciate that very much. $25 beats the heck out of $275...
    "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Forum Member

If it is not properly displayed it does not matter if it is in you car. My wife has a handicapped placard but I cannot park in HC spaces if she is not with me. If an officer looked inside, the placard would be there, but I still do not have the right to park in a HC space just because a placard is in my car.

forum member
    The placard has to be displayed (visible) when parked and REMOVED from the mirror when driving. We do not search the interior of a car for a placard. Once a cite is written...the officer can't void it.

Is the proof of correction box checked?? I never make a handicap ticket a fix it.

Was he lying? No, you probably just misunderstood what he said.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Annoyed, amazed & amused!
    A friend of mine is a deputy for LASD. He was very ill, almost dying, and ended up with a disabled palcard. One day, he too, didn't display the placard correctly and got that same ticket you did.

He merely went to court, provided his placard, and the ticket was dismissed.
    "Many times, I have thoughts and feelings which can only be expressed through dance!" - Bender, Futurama

"Ranking right up there with 'No good deed goes unpunished' are:

'Sooner or later, we just might outlive our usefulness to others' and...

'Sometimes it's very possible to push the most loving and loyal person, beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t'"
    - Yours truly

Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by deputy x 2 View Post
    The placard has to be displayed (visible) when parked and REMOVED from the mirror when driving. We do not search the interior of a car for a placard. Once a cite is written...the officer can't void it.

Is the proof of correction box checked?? I never make a handicap ticket a fix it.

Was he lying? No, you probably just misunderstood what he said.
    Ditto. Exactly what he said.

In the Woods

You didn't mention if you are handicapped or not; or if the officer may have watched you jog up some stairs after getting out of the car.
    Ankle surgery?

forum member
    He who??

Up here the handicap placards out number the parking spaces. There is NO way to tell a handicap.
    Last edited by deputy x 2; 02-23-2009 at 12:02 PM.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Annoyed, amazed & amused!
    Wow, Bayarea, you don't think you could have toned down those responses any, do ya'?
    "Many times, I have thoughts and feelings which can only be expressed through dance!" - Bender, Futurama

"Ranking right up there with 'No good deed goes unpunished' are:

'Sooner or later, we just might outlive our usefulness to others' and...

'Sometimes it's very possible to push the most loving and loyal person, beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t'"
    - Yours truly

Bored

Quote Originally Posted by deputy x 2 View Post
    He who??

Up here the handicap placards out number the parking spaces. There is NO way to tell a handicap.
    Walmart?
    Oy that place is gonna give me a heart attack. They have like 4-5 rows of handicapped and it goes back like 20 spots deep
    I got nothing for now

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BAYAREACOP View Post
    Your full of it dude.... He was lying and he could have taken the ticket back....Sounds like the cop was being an AHOLE. No Sgt I know would give his officer any grief for taking a Handicap ticket back under those cricumstances.
    So you are aware of every departments internal policy regarding citations? Lighten up dude.........

Forum Member
    OK, we all agree that the permit should be prominently displayed if the driver doesn't want a ticket. But seriously, how much trouble is it to take an extra minute or so to check the front seat, front seat footwells, or between the roof lining and the sun visors to see if a permit is there before writing the ticket?

If you have provision for making written notes on your tickets, include that there wasn't any permit displayed at all (not on dash board/ rear view mirror/ front seats/ footwells/ sun visors). This will minimise or eliminate contested tickets by the driver claiming that the permit must've fallen down or they have a permit but forgot to display it.

As far as not issuing the ticket, are you able to exercise some discretion? If I begin writing a ticket, I don't have to issue it if I can justify myself to my boss. I have to submit a report to cancel that ticket outlining my reasons and the ticket is cancelled.

Verbal Sniper
    whatever dude... there is always "A WAY" around a ticket. u need to lighten up

OR you could do your job your way and to the best of your ability and let us do ours. You're not always RIGHT and we aren't always WRONG.

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

JoeCC
    Take it to the court, only way your ticket is going to be corrected.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushranger View Post
    OK, we all agree that the permit should be prominently displayed if the driver doesn't want a ticket. But seriously, how much trouble is it to take an extra minute or so to check the front seat, front seat footwells, or between the roof lining and the sun visors to see if a permit is there before writing the ticket?

If you have provision for making written notes on your tickets, include that there wasn't any permit displayed at all (not on dash board/ rear view mirror/ front seats/ footwells/ sun visors). This will minimise or eliminate contested tickets by the driver claiming that the permit must've fallen down or they have a permit but forgot to display it.

As far as not issuing the ticket, are you able to exercise some discretion? If I begin writing a ticket, I don't have to issue it if I can justify myself to my boss. I have to submit a report to cancel that ticket outlining my reasons and the ticket is cancelled.

No, It is not my responsibility to make sure YOU the driver properly display you handicapp tags. i am not your mother, father, auint, uncle. You are an adult Stop blaming the Police for your inactions. Whats next take people car for a spin when they say their speedometer is not working.
    IGNORE LIST - Banastretarlton AKA "banana boy"

"In the fields of observation chance favors only prepared mind"
    -----Louis Pasteur

"Sweat in training saves blood on the battlefield."

-------Col. David "Hack" Hackworth

On my 7 year old 2nd Grade Class wall

------------YOU are RESPONSIBLE for YOUR OWN ACTIONS

police officer (rookie)

As a campus police officer,when our officers write a ticket of this nature we can void the ticket and cancel the report on the spot. This happens a lot at the hospital.

Forum Member
    whatever dude... there is always "A WAY" around a ticket. u need to lighten up
    I wasnt the one that replied with a boorish response....... just because YOU can always find a way around a ticket doesnt mean the officer in this scenario has to. I personally look inside for any signs of a placard, but I wouldnt talk crap about someone who didnt.

Forum Member

Your full of it dude.... He was lying and he could have taken the ticket back....Sounds like the cop was being an AHOLE. No Sgt I know would give his officer any grief for taking a Handicap ticket back under those cricumstances.
    Out here that could mean a loss of my certification and my job. No way I would take that chance over a ticket. I would however, say that the person was polite and cooperative in court, and let the judge know that the person had the placard with them and just didn't display it correctly. What they do after that is their issue but I'm not risking my job over any ticket, ever, period... So you do your thing and we'll do ours...

Forum Member

Newsflash, but some small agencies will NOT let an officer take it back. Every cite must be accounted for, a missing or "taken back" cite may bring an accusation of being bought-off. So unless you know for sure, you should not accuse an officer of such behavior. I worked for a small agency a while back where any error had to be turned into a supervisor to void - and then they would ask to see the corrected version of the cite you issued in place of the error. On a larger department (like where I work now) there is some room to work, but it is NOT a given. Don't be such a jerk.
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Forum Member

You sound a bit angry. Maybe it's time for another line of work.

Verbal Sniper
    Honey, just 'bless his heart' and move on.

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Forum Member

I had someone thank me for giving them a $275 tix for parking in a handicapped zone. What is this world coming to??? o_O haha