Forum Member

Is there a difference between revenge and punishment

Today in my college law class everyone was talking about capital punishment. And you know all that jazz. I need someone to point me in the write direction with something that I struggle with.One of my classmates said revenge is "weakness of the soul" for example like someone doing something wrong to you and you do it back. This would be considered stooping to their level right? Well isnt punishment kind of like revenge? Im so lost? Someone please help me out. I have been going crazy all day trying to understand all this...

Let me just make up an example of a scenario that could happen in public and comment about what one could do about it...

You and your girlfriend or wife are out at a public place. Say someone you knew from highschool walks up behind your girl and says some very mean nasty things. Then grabs her booty lol. What would you do in that situation? I mean my first feeling would be to hit him with a nice hook. (just being honest) But thats most likely not the right thing to do? Would that stooping to their level? That situation is completly fictional

-Moose
    If your going to be a Bear you might as well be a GRIZZLY

Looking for Guidance feel free to assist me in my search............

Forum Member
    Punishment is justice w/mercy Mercy being defined as fitting the crime.

If one kills in self defense and one kills for hate, the punishment should not be the same. Justice and mercy should dictate. Punishment should be for the good of the community, individuals involved and the suspect.

Revenge is self serving. It is only justice in the eyes of the one dealing out the punishment. It is not tempered with mercy.

Hell on Wheels
    Revenge is to gratify the one doling it out.

Punishment is to motivate one to a different behaviour.

In the view of the one subject to them, the line between the two is very fuzzy, they can overlap.
    "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Forum Member

Revenge is generally doing a wrong against somebody you think wronged you. It is getting back and is for personal gratification. Punishment is used to correct behavior and to let the person know that they are engaged in illegal activity and that participating in such activity has consequences. Reasonable punishment is legal. Revenge is not.