Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Forum Member

NJ Transit Police

Any info on them? Salary? When or how often do they hire? Good job? Anything would be great. Thanks.

One Night In Bangkok
    They test every 2 years. Need a minimum of 60 credits. They should be doing some hiring in the near future when they start adding a tour to NY's Penn station. Salary is about mid 50's to start.
    I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. Do you know if its a a good job? I have pretty much exhausted the internet looking for info...looks good. Sounds like the next best thing to the MTA Police. What tour are they adding to Penn Station??

Just seeing if you had any inside info.

Thanks.

One Night In Bangkok
    I work at Amtrak however I go to NY pretty often for family stuff or take the GF. From talking to some NJT cops, its not a bad gig however they lose alot of people especially in Northern NJ.

As of right now, rumors are they are going to do a 12 hr tour to supplement us in patrolling the NJT waiting room. However when Amtrak ever moves into the post office, NJT will get the main concourse and MTAPD will still have the LIRR side. I know NJT is waiting on NY to issue them RR police commissions.

As far as hiring, I have no clue. I know its done by resume and you must have at minimum 60 credits to even get to take the test.

Forum Member

Thanks Orlando - just curious, why are they losing people...salary?? Wikipedia has them listed as toping off at 87k...however, I have heard other numbers for them that are alot lower.

One Night In Bangkok
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB417 View Post
    Thanks Orlando - just curious, why are they losing people...salary?? Wikipedia has them listed as toping off at 87k...however, I have heard other numbers for them that are alot lower.
    Pretty much when you have some Bergen towns making over 120k per year (also the cost of living is higher).

Also you can be assigned anywhere in the state. So if you live by NNJ and the only opening they have is in AC at the train or bus station, your in for a long commute.

Forum Member

Gotcha - thanks Orlando. Which Bergen towns make that kind of money? Just curious, b/c I hadn't heard of many PD's in the NY/NJ area making over 100k outside of Nassau and Suffolk.

One Night In Bangkok
    No idea. You will probably need to go thru the NJ state website to look at contracts.

Forum Member

All

Gotcha - thanks Orlando. Which Bergen towns make that kind of money? Just curious, b/c I hadn't heard of many PD's in the NY/NJ area making over 100k outside of Nassau and Suffolk.
    Just about all of the municipal cops in Bergen County top out in the 100k range. Bergen cops are the highest paid in the state for municipal.

Forum Member
    I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees...
    Which is sooo sweet!!

Forum Member

Thanks everyone - yeah it looks like Fort Lee PD and Ridgewood PD have huge salaries.

Forum Member
    I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees...
    Thats nothing.. try looking at Mahwah, paramus, Bergen County Police.

Opionated
    The current NJTPD contract is on the NJ Perc site. It was arbitrated.
    Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Forum Member

I would think one of the major factors of people leaving would be them wanting to pursue an agency that is more in line with General Policing; which Transit is not. That being said, it is a really good gig from some of the people I have talked to. They have some really good training, equipment and are expanding into NYC very soon [read : growth!]. Funding is abundant from the government and advancement is available after only 3 years [sgt, det, spec ops, k9].

I've heard from two people that their current contract that was just negotiated is up either this summer, or next so look for that 87 [which was a huge jump over their last max pay] to jump more.

Best part of the agency is nepotism plays a small part in their hiring [yeah, it exists, but not to the extent of other agencies]. So when they are looking to hire 20-30 guys, you'll get a handful with a "hook" but compared to the smaller towns in NJ that hire 2-3 with 400-500 applying....you have a legit chance to get on.

Forum Member

They prefer that you have a BA or BS....

Forum Member

Good point Luko. For those interested about their process...

Written exam-
    Major part is memorizing a booklet of small cases/scenarios for 20min and then handing it back. You are then handed the test booklet, which the second half are questions about those cases/scenarios.

The Physical-
    An obstacle course: jump a 5ft wall, dry fire a gun, 20 times, in a small ring, 100m run zig-zagged between cones, hop a 5ft "hole" and drag a 150lb dummy 50ish ft. All under 3min.

After those two phases, your military/education will dictate whether or not you are called for an interview [which is in STAR format]

As a point of reference, believe they are coming on 10ish months after the written and people with 4 yr degrees are still being interviewed.
    Last edited by Kupes; 02-25-2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: formatting

One Night In Bangkok
    Well the horses @$$ bober was fired as chief of police of NJ Transit today.

Forum Member

Seems the consensus is overwhelming that Bober was not well liked and that Kelly is. Hopefully that only ups the morale of the agency.

PL165.15-3

Comparing Depts...

What's the reputation like?
    How do they handle their business?
    Do/can they "work/dig" on and/or off NJT turf?
    How's the officers moral and attitude?
    Is the supervision competent?
    Ect Ect...

Thanks anyone!
    "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

One Night In Bangkok
    Quote Originally Posted by aikido kid View Post
    What's the reputation like?
    How do they handle their business?
    Do/can they "work/dig" on and/or off NJT turf?
    How's the officers moral and attitude?
    Is the supervision competent?
    Ect Ect...

Thanks anyone!
    Good reputation. They have statewide authority. Moral is good and supervision is pretty good now that Chief Bobber is gone.

Forum Member

No benefits with retirement for NJT.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sibpd893tf View Post
    Just about all of the municipal cops in Bergen County top out in the 100k range. Bergen cops are the highest paid in the state for municipal.

It seems their base salary includes night diff & holiday. Is this how contracts are in NJ?

Interesting how Depts. in NY seem to seperate base from holiday/shift diff.

What is also interesting is the growing trend of health insurance plans including a life-time and/or annual max, especially when it comes to LE. While a 1 million annual or 5 million life-time max may seem like a lot, god-forbid you have a major illness, I can see that being swallowed whole in a matter of years.

Be safe guys.

Opionated
    If you roll holidays and shift diff, it is included in your pension. If left separate, not pensionable money.
    Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stormz5192 View Post
    If you roll holidays and shift diff, it is included in your pension. If left separate, not pensionable money.

I see, so it's a pension issue in NJ. Makes sense. In NY, based on the Tier 2 system, anyone with 20 years on can retire at 50% of the average of your top 3 years salary(usually last 3), known as FAS(final average salary), this includes base,holiday,shift diff and any OT accrued during the years. Equipment allowance is not pensionable, at least not at my dept. Then with the 1/60th bill, you can max out at 32 years OD @ 70% FAS.

Be safe fellas.

PL165.15-3
    Quote Originally Posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
    Good reputation. They have statewide authority. Moral is good and supervision is pretty good now that Chief Bobber is gone.
    Word, I heard good things about that place. Can anyone else back that up? haha.
    "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last