1. #1
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    wv
    Posts
    33

    Would you write me a ticket for driving without a license plate in this case?

    Maybe there's an exception, I'll just have to ask.
    So I ordered a car online and get a shipping company to ship it to my house, thing is, I'm an out of state buyer which means I buy this car from another state online, and the title has not yet in my name, the dealer mail me paperwork to sign and I need to mail back to him then he mail me the title, and this is in the process of being done, but the car I ordered arrives before the title is being done, and that I live in a house on a very small and narrow road, and there's no way for the shipping guys to unload my car and they have to pick me up and go to nearby area with much space to unload the car, then I'll have to drive that car I ordered back to my house, but the car doesn't have license plate plus I have no auto insurance for it because the title is in process, so by chance I drive the car home and you the officer is behind me and see that I have no license plate and pulled me over, and I explain the situation to you, would you let me go or write me a ticket or more severe punishment?

  2. #2
    An Obvious problem
    mdrdep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    5,507
    Is this a brand new car?
    Today's Quote:

    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Tex4720's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    674
    you can get insurance just give company vin #..take your chances driving the car the short distance without the plate but not the insurance,,,

  4. #4
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    wv
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrdep View Post
    Is this a brand new car?
    Used car.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tex4720 View Post
    you can get insurance just give company vin #..take your chances driving the car the short distance without the plate but not the insurance,,,
    Can I get a temporary plate while the title is being transferred?

  5. #5
    Corporal
    redbird07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,414
    Have a competent tow company tow the car to your house. Yes you could recieve a ticket and most likely around here you would. If you do take your chances, be sure you have insurance on the car.

  6. #6
    Operator
    Bearcat357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    18,345
    If you have your Red Russian Uniform on while you are driving the care......you're going to jail......

  7. #7
    GGG
    GGG is offline
    Forum Member
    GGG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,919
    Check with the DMV about a Temp or In Transit tag. Some states will give you a 24hr or 3 day tag just to get a car from point A to point B.

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gilbert Arizona
    Posts
    2,125
    Yes I would write you for No Plate, No Insurance, and No Registration

  9. #9
    Retired Sergeant - CHP
    SgtCHP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Left Coast
    Posts
    6,252
    Yes! Without any paper work on your part, I would write you and impound your vehicle until you could produce the necessary documentation - registration and insurance,

    You may obtain a "Trip Permit/Transportation Permit" from your local DMV with receipts of purchase/sale. You may also obtain a temporary registration by presenting a bill of sale to the DMV. You may also, as someone suggested, hire a tow company to further transport the vehicle to the location of your choice.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]


  10. #10
    Forum Member
    JI603's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    563
    Nope, wouldn't write you.

    Most states will issue a temp tag for that period where title/bill of sale are in the mail, so check on that.

    Your insurance that you already have would cover 'an additional/replacement vehicle' for about 2 weeks (Check your policy) and as long as the car had a VIN and was not stolen, you'd be ok with me.

    Better make sure that your shipping delivery date was THAT am though, or I'm not buying what you're selling.

  11. #11
    Have gun......will travel
    RoadKingTrooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cotopaxi
    Posts
    4,315
    No, get the insurance first though.
    "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"


    The real deal

    Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    1,793
    Quote Originally Posted by candidguy View Post
    Maybe there's an exception, I'll just have to ask.
    So I ordered a car online and get a shipping company to ship it to my house, thing is, I'm an out of state buyer which means I buy this car from another state online, and the title has not yet in my name, the dealer mail me paperwork to sign and I need to mail back to him then he mail me the title, and this is in the process of being done, but the car I ordered arrives before the title is being done, and that I live in a house on a very small and narrow road, and there's no way for the shipping guys to unload my car and they have to pick me up and go to nearby area with much space to unload the car, then I'll have to drive that car I ordered back to my house, but the car doesn't have license plate plus I have no auto insurance for it because the title is in process, so by chance I drive the car home and you the officer is behind me and see that I have no license plate and pulled me over, and I explain the situation to you, would you let me go or write me a ticket or more severe punishment?
    You don't need a title to register a car or yto put insurance on it.

  13. #13
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    wv
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by wirefire2 View Post
    You don't need a title to register a car or yto put insurance on it.
    So if I get insurance then I can drive the car? But it's without the plate, I'll probably get a ticket for driving without a plate, but can you get a temporary permit tag or plate from the DMV to drive for a period of time before the title is being done?

  14. #14
    Have gun......will travel
    RoadKingTrooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cotopaxi
    Posts
    4,315
    No, some say they wouldn't write you if you are just going to drive it back to your house. No reason not to have insurance on it. You may get a ticket, no way to tell. If you are concerned then check with your DMV
    "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"


    The real deal

    Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

  15. #15
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    wv
    Posts
    33
    So if I get insurance for it but no license plate, would I be fine if I drive it around town? And if I do get pulled over, can I explain to the officer that my title is being processed and he'll let me go without ticket? Isn't the dealership that I bought the car from is supposed to give me a temporary tag when I got the car?

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    wash dc
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by candidguy View Post
    So if I get insurance for it but no license plate, would I be fine if I drive it around town? And if I do get pulled over, can I explain to the officer that my title is being processed and he'll let me go without ticket? Isn't the dealership that I bought the car from is supposed to give me a temporary tag when I got the car?
    if you dont have even have temp tags then their should be no reason for you to be on the road...if you are driving it from where you bought the car then they should have put some type of temp tags on the car....i would call the dealership and ask why no tags were put on

  17. #17
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    wv
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by dtown101 View Post
    if you dont have even have temp tags then their should be no reason for you to be on the road...if you are driving it from where you bought the car then they should have put some type of temp tags on the car....i would call the dealership and ask why no tags were put on
    No temp tags but they did put 2 plates on the car, it's the dealer's plate on the front and back, the plate just have the name of the dealership and their phone number, is this cool if I drive it on the road? Works like a temp plate?

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    wash dc
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by candidguy View Post
    No temp tags but they did put 2 plates on the car, it's the dealer's plate on the front and back, the plate just have the name of the dealership and their phone number, is this cool if I drive it on the road? Works like a temp plate?

    The main question is ...did you purchase the car from the dealer or is it a loaner...because if it is a purchase then the dealer orders your main plates and its up to them to make sure temps are put on...call them...a cop who may see you driving around could still pull you over and you could get a ticket...I wouldnt give you one if you had a good driving record when i ran you..but you never know how other cops would react.....CALL THEM

  19. #19
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    wv
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by dtown101 View Post
    The main question is ...did you purchase the car from the dealer or is it a loaner...because if it is a purchase then the dealer orders your main plates and its up to them to make sure temps are put on...call them...a cop who may see you driving around could still pull you over and you could get a ticket...I wouldnt give you one if you had a good driving record when i ran you..but you never know how other cops would react.....CALL THEM
    Well I purchased it, and they say they'll mail me paperwork to sign for the transfer of the title which I did and mailed them back, right now I'm waiting for the title, but I think it'd be at least a week but I really want to drive it right now, but I already bought insurance for it, and I do have the paperwork for the shipping of the car which has the sale information on it, so if I do get pulled over, can I tell the officer that I have insurance and I think that the dealer plate is a temp plate and I show him the bill of sale and I can get away with it?

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    wash dc
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by candidguy View Post
    Well I purchased it, and they say they'll mail me paperwork to sign for the transfer of the title which I did and mailed them back, right now I'm waiting for the title, but I think it'd be at least a week but I really want to drive it right now, but I already bought insurance for it, and I do have the paperwork for the shipping of the car which has the sale information on it, so if I do get pulled over, can I tell the officer that I have insurance and I think that the dealer plate is a temp plate and I show him the bill of sale and I can get away with it?

    just when you do drive take all the purchse info with you then...honesty is the best when dealing with the police...hopefully if you do get pulled over and you explain to the cop the situation he will let you go on the other hand you should also call the DMV and see what they say about it...if they tell you dont drive then i wouldnt drive...

  21. #21
    Have gun......will travel
    RoadKingTrooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cotopaxi
    Posts
    4,315
    Ok, now I would write you! This has gone from just driving it home to cruising around town.
    "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"


    The real deal

    Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

  22. #22
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    wv
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by dtown101 View Post
    just when you do drive take all the purchse info with you then...honesty is the best when dealing with the police...hopefully if you do get pulled over and you explain to the cop the situation he will let you go on the other hand you should also call the DMV and see what they say about it...if they tell you dont drive then i wouldnt drive...
    Yeah I called my local dmv and they say they can't issue me a temp tag, and that I was supposed to get it from my dealer, and they say I can't drive it without tag, and I try to look at my car for any tags and there's only this one sticker I found on the windshield that says:"Smog OK" Guess that's not any temp tag, eh?

  23. #23
    Forum Member
    CruiserClass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis IN
    Posts
    5,097
    Assuming I stopped you just for the plates and you weren't driving like a tool I'd write you the no insurance ticket and a failure to register ticket and send you on your way. If you fixed the problems within a few weeks, the prosecutor would most likely drop the tickets and you wouldn't have to pay the fines, a "fix-it" ticket for paperwork, basically. As long as you had the paperwork showing you just bought the car I wouldn't tow it and would give you time to fix the problems.

    Previous "no insurance" violations would make this one a misdemeanor and then I'm probably going to summons you and tow your car with a hold for plates.

  24. #24
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    northeast
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by HotSoup View Post
    Yes I would write you for No Plate, No Insurance, and No Registration
    What Soup said + impound until you provide valid Insurance and Reg.
    Get a local Tow from whereever the Transport drops it off.

  25. #25
    Forum Member
    IBTP711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    408
    Honestly if I was the officer pulling you over and you told me this story, although real, I might be hard pressed to cut you a break. Driving w/o registration is driving w/o registration. I would probably write you the citation and let the judge sort it out. Its my responsiblity to enforce the law not see which exceptions to the law are viable. Most likely, I would probably impound the car too. Maybe if you call you local PD and they may be able to give you better options about what to do in your area. Like others have said your best option is the tow.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register