Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Are Hollow Point bullets Illegal

I have always been told that Hollow Points are Illegal except for Government and Law Enforcement use only. Now I have people telling me otherwise. Is this true? In Washington State? Where do you find the law?

Thanks

Molon Labe
    The only place I can think of offhand that they are illegal is in the state of NJ......

Do your gunshops sell them in WA state?
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Forum Member

I don't think so, but the topic came up and I looked like an Idiot because I was positive that they were only Law Enforcement use.

Thanks

Forum Member
    Only if you shoot someone with them and even then its up in the air.
    It takes a Wolf.......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Irishluck31 View Post
    Only if you shoot someone with them and even then its up in the air.
    Could you clarify or elaborate this?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mobtown View Post
    Could you clarify or elaborate this?
    Well, If you shoot someone and they deserve it, then they are not illegal. if they happen to not deserve it, there could be problems.

Other than that, no I can't elaborate.
    It takes a Wolf.......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Irishluck31 View Post
    Well, If you shoot someone and they deserve it, then they are not illegal. if they happen to not deserve it, there could be problems.

Other than that, no I can't elaborate.
    So, the legality of the ammunition is based on whether the person deserved to be shot or not?

I would think the act of shooting someone is what is deemed legal or not, regardless of what type of round is used. Thanks for clarifying... I guess.

Forum Member
    So, the legality of the ammunition is based on whether the person deserved to be shot or not?

I would think the act of shooting someone is what is deemed legal or not, regardless of what type of round is used. Thanks for clarifying... I guess.
    Your welcome
    It takes a Wolf.......

"Retired"
    Deleted: Double Post.
    Last edited by pulicords; 01-30-2009 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Deleted: Double post.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

"Retired"
    Deleted: Double post.
    Last edited by pulicords; 01-30-2009 at 06:14 PM.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

"Retired"

Someone's being a bit sarcastic. Hollowpoint bullet ammunition, is generally the only type of rounds issued to law enforcement personnel today in the United States. Non-expanding bullets fail to offer sufficient "stopping power", over penetrate intended targets or objects behind them, and are too prone to ricochet, for use in urban environments. If there are any law enforcement agencies (in the U.S.) currently equipping their officers with non-expanding (full metal jacket or solid lead) bullets for defensive purposes, I'm not personally aware of them.

In the Woods

Quote Originally Posted by SpokaneExplorer View Post
    I have always been told that Hollow Points are Illegal except for Government and Law Enforcement use only. Now I have people telling me otherwise. Is this true? In Washington State? Where do you find the law?

Thanks
    I could see how someone might get that impression if they see cops shooting department-issued ammo at a range. Most of the ammo I have been issued has "For Law Enforcement Use Only" plastered all over the box.

Forum Member

I can get them off the shelf with just my CCW at any gun shop in my area... And we have some of the most strict gun laws in the country.

Forum Member

Hollowpoints are quite legal in Washington State, for any and all flavor of firearm.

Forum Member

In Texas you can buy them if you're 21 and up.

Forum Member

Since they are safer for home defense, as far as ammo goes, they are perfectly legal in WA state. Go to Wally-World and grab some .

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LA DEP View Post
    The only place I can think of offhand that they are illegal is in the state of NJ......

Do your gunshops sell them in WA state?

Yup, in NJ they're illegal anyplace except for inside the home. And in legal transport of course. They are sold freely at any gunshop though. No restrictions on purchasing, just possessing.

Molon Labe
    Quote Originally Posted by CUFFS137 View Post
    Yup, in NJ they're illegal anyplace except for inside the home. And in legal transport of course. They are sold freely at any gunshop though. No restrictions on purchasing, just possessing.
    Thanks for clearing that up.....I was under the impression that they were completely verboten
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Forum Member

Verboten...Did you just make up a word. "Upon my arrival both sides in the dispute had a made a verboten agreement...When OC spray had no effect, I struck the suspect several times with my departmentally issued verboten baton...I have no idea what that means...

Molon Labe
    Quote Originally Posted by CUFFS137 View Post
    Verboten...Did you just make up a word. "Upon my arrival both sides in the dispute had a made a verboten agreement...When OC spray had no effect, I struck the suspect several times with my departmentally issued verboten baton...I have no idea what that means...
    As is often said, google is your friend.....

It means 'forbidden'

Forum Member

Check out the big brain on LA DEP.

CougarBait

Quote Originally Posted by pulicords View Post
    Someone's being a bit sarcastic. Hollowpoint bullet ammunition, is generally the only type of rounds issued to law enforcement personnel today in the United States. Non-expanding bullets fail to offer sufficient "stopping power", over penetrate intended targets or objects behind them, and are too prone to ricochet, for use in urban environments. If there are any law enforcement agencies (in the U.S.) currently equipping their officers with non-expanding (full metal jacket or solid lead) bullets for defensive purposes, I'm not personally aware of them.

(cough) NDW Police!!
    "...Uncommon Valor was a common virtue."-- Adm. Chester A. Nimitz

Forum Member

Sarcasm on this forum is strictly verboten.

"Retired"
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead50 View Post
    (cough) NDW Police!!
    "NDW Police"?

Cynical curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordi View Post
    Hollowpoints are quite legal in Washington State, for any and all flavor of firearm.
    +1

A quick trip to any gun store would have answered this for you
    "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last