Bull Dog

starting a new Police Department

SO a while back i remember reading about a town in Georgia that started a new police department, and i just got to thinking today, what does it take to start a new PD. What do you have to do, who needs to be talked to, what do they have to do? maybe someone can shine some light on this, and hopefully someone can go into detail about how this is done.

i assume officer Joe cant say.... hey my town doesnt have a PD, im going to buy a crown vic deck it out and start patrolling my own town.

sorry if this seems like a dumb question, just kindof sparked my interest once i started to think about it.
    Venice Explorer 03-07

BLET starts in March 2011.

FL-CJBAT: Passed
    Physical/EKG: Complete/Passed
    Poly: Passed
    Fingerprint: Complete
    Drug Test: Passed
    PAT: Jan 15 2010~>Injured during PAT. New test date: TBD
    Interview: Complete
    Pushed back to 2011 due to injury

So many options, what road to take?

Are you a diesel nut? Check this new forum out:
    www.AfterHoursDiesel.com

Forum Member

I also had a random thought similar to this. What if someone bought an entire city or county where they were the only resident and made themselves the Sheriff? Would said person be covered under H.R 218?

Waingro...where is he?
    resident of a certain geographic area can vote to have themselves incorporated into their own city. you likely have areas of the county now that have nicknames that pertain to a certain section.

any city (with voter approval) can choose to annex unincorporated areas into their city making it larger. they have to be able to provide services for that area though (police,fire,etc). some cities even contract these services out to the county.

we've had several cities do this around Atlanta in the past 3 or 4 years. Look up Sandy Springs, Milton, Johns Creek, and Dunwoody.

You could not create your own city or county.
    Perseverate In Pugna

10-96

first a study would need to be conducted on cost of maintaining a local PD rather than having the county/city (whoever patrols now). The task force would get figures such as salaries, health care costs, charts and tours to be worked, equipment needed, buildings used for the PD, rank structure, etc. then after the task force completes the study the town would have a vote, and then it would go to legislation. if legislature passes then procedure laws would be ammended, the PD would be created, and once they are full service the previous PD would pack up and go.
    Thats if you wanted to create your own city/town PD.

For a specialty police department like a Transit Police agency, if you want Police Officer/Peace Officer status all you have to do is have a bill pass the state assembly, senate, and signed by the Gov.

Thats in NY btw.

Bull Dog
    thanks guys, ive been doing some more searching on the subject, and have found out that a local, i guess town, (it has a name atleast) is trying to become a city, and start a police department and such. They have a meeting next week to talk about the subject, and i will be there. They said it will be a minimum of one year before the city is official, and im just thinking, i can self sponsor and will be certified by then, and maybe volunteer to help them get the incorporation, any way i can, and use that as a foot in the door once they decide to start hiring. LE jobs are in high demand in FL, and by the time i am certified, if this economy isnt any better, i assume it will be in even higher demand!
    Venice Explorer 03-07

BLET starts in March 2011.

FL-CJBAT: Passed
    Physical/EKG: Complete/Passed
    Poly: Passed
    Fingerprint: Complete
    Drug Test: Passed
    PAT: Jan 15 2010~>Injured during PAT. New test date: TBD
    Interview: Complete
    Pushed back to 2011 due to injury

So many options, what road to take?

Are you a diesel nut? Check this new forum out:
    www.AfterHoursDiesel.com

The Inevitable
    Don't know if a city would take a person with no prior police experience to help start-up an agency. When Miami Gardens started their PD - They were looking for at least five years experience I think.

Forum Member

Last edited by TechSpec; 02-12-2010 at 09:36 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gringe View Post
    Don't know if a city would take a person with no prior police experience to help start-up an agency. When Miami Gardens started their PD - They were looking for at least five years experience I think.
    I applied to one agency that was new like this, and it was the first time after a few years they were even accepting non laterals. So yea, for the first few years it's usually laterals only.

The disappointing thing about this agency I think was I got the impression they were all burnt out cops and all of them had complaints about where they came form. So the agency had a culture that didn’t seem productive.

It was the only ride along I was at where the officers sat around and overtly talked about taking the call they just got when they finished their coffee. Other rides officers would put the coffee aside and take the calls, and I've done more than a dozen rides.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gringe View Post
    how is miami gardens PD doing ? I was just curious, I rember seeing the recruitment ads when they were first getting started and had thought about applying at that time.

Forum Member
    I think it would be fun to get to pick out all of the equipment, color schemes, uniforms, etc from scratch. I also expect getting everything up and running is a major headache.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soopertrooper View Post
    SO a while back i remember reading about a town in Georgia that started a new police department, and i just got to thinking today, what does it take to start a new PD. What do you have to do, who needs to be talked to, what do they have to do? maybe someone can shine some light on this, and hopefully someone can go into detail about how this is done.

i assume officer Joe cant say.... hey my town doesnt have a PD, im going to buy a crown vic deck it out and start patrolling my own town.

sorry if this seems like a dumb question, just kindof sparked my interest once i started to think about it.
    The city council would have to meet, approve it all, hire a chief, give him some money, and it would flow from there. It'd be very interesting operationally and logistically. It'd be fun to do...for me anyway.

On the level...
    I've started a new PD...PM me if you need anything.