Page 3 of 3 First 123
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: what law enforcement job has the most action?

Forum Member
    Claymore,

I'm a Border Patrol Agent, and have been in law enforcement for over 10 years. (And a member of this forum for 1 day) I can say that you came to the right place to ask your questions. I've read the responses to your initial question, and couldn't agree more. You are getting some great advice from these guys.

First of all, you're only 18. That's not a cheap shot at your age, but you're still young. You have plenty of time, so listen to the advice the guys on this forum give you. 500pearl and GB0610 recommended going to college and joining the Service. NOTHING can prepare you more for the real world than a good education. Service in the military will not only add to that education, but it will prepare you not only for the physical demands of a career in law enforcement, but will teach you discipline as well.

audi0xpl0de made another great point: take writing courses. In law enforcement, you are defined by your writing skills. You may make a great arrest, but if you cannot articulate it in a written report, your credibility is shot.

You asked about a job with a lot of action. That concerns me a little. Not that you want a job in law enforcement that has a lot of action. But, that you may not understand what comes with that. Furrball409 is right. There is A LOT of action in the Border Patrol, and I can say that from experience. I will never talk down any other agency or department, but I have seen my share of action.

I have been in more foot and vehicle pursuits than I can count. I have been assaulted and shot at. I have arrested not only illegal aliens, but U.S. citizens as well. I've arrested smugglers, child molesters, rapists, and other wanted felons. I've stopped drunk drivers, and have assisted in domestic violence calls. I've been the first responder to many vehicle accidents, some of which included fatalities. I've recovered more dead bodies in the desert than I care to remember, and have watched people die in front of me.

I'm not trying to glamorize my job, nor am I trying to shock you. This is the reality of my job.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to have a job with a lot of action. I have to admit, I thrive on it. The action gets your adrenaline going. It can be like a roller coaster ride. But, it's a "double-edged" sword. You also have to deal with the negative things that I mentioned. It can be ugly.

It sounds like you're on the right track. Keep researching, get an education, and ALWAYS listen to those who have experience. This forum is a great source of information. You wanna be a cop? You came to the right place.

To answer your question about speaking Spanish, the Border Patrol is the only federal agency where that is a requirement. You don't have to know it before you enter the academy. They will teach you what you need to know.

Good luck, Claymore. Remember, there are no dumb questions. Whatever question you ask, I'm sure that there is someone on this forum who will have an answer for you. I know I still could learn a thing or two from these guys.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by claymoreman View Post
    i want to know, what law enforcement jobs see the most action... because see the action is the juice. thank you in advance!
    If you don't mind a somewhat corrupt sheriff, bumbling deputies, chasing moonshiners, and girls in jean cut-offs check out this sheriff department:

http://hcsd.net/

Forum Member

3300 Reisterstown Road, Baltimore MD 21215
    Very Well Said....

Quote Originally Posted by Charliefoxtrot View Post
    Claymore,

I'm a Border Patrol Agent, and have been in law enforcement for over 10 years. (And a member of this forum for 1 day) I can say that you came to the right place to ask your questions. I've read the responses to your initial question, and couldn't agree more. You are getting some great advice from these guys.

First of all, you're only 18. That's not a cheap shot at your age, but you're still young. You have plenty of time, so listen to the advice the guys on this forum give you. 500pearl and GB0610 recommended going to college and joining the Service. NOTHING can prepare you more for the real world than a good education. Service in the military will not only add to that education, but it will prepare you not only for the physical demands of a career in law enforcement, but will teach you discipline as well.

audi0xpl0de made another great point: take writing courses. In law enforcement, you are defined by your writing skills. You may make a great arrest, but if you cannot articulate it in a written report, your credibility is shot.

You asked about a job with a lot of action. That concerns me a little. Not that you want a job in law enforcement that has a lot of action. But, that you may not understand what comes with that. Furrball409 is right. There is A LOT of action in the Border Patrol, and I can say that from experience. I will never talk down any other agency or department, but I have seen my share of action.

I have been in more foot and vehicle pursuits than I can count. I have been assaulted and shot at. I have arrested not only illegal aliens, but U.S. citizens as well. I've arrested smugglers, child molesters, rapists, and other wanted felons. I've stopped drunk drivers, and have assisted in domestic violence calls. I've been the first responder to many vehicle accidents, some of which included fatalities. I've recovered more dead bodies in the desert than I care to remember, and have watched people die in front of me.

I'm not trying to glamorize my job, nor am I trying to shock you. This is the reality of my job.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to have a job with a lot of action. I have to admit, I thrive on it. The action gets your adrenaline going. It can be like a roller coaster ride. But, it's a "double-edged" sword. You also have to deal with the negative things that I mentioned. It can be ugly.

It sounds like you're on the right track. Keep researching, get an education, and ALWAYS listen to those who have experience. This forum is a great source of information. You wanna be a cop? You came to the right place.

To answer your question about speaking Spanish, the Border Patrol is the only federal agency where that is a requirement. You don't have to know it before you enter the academy. They will teach you what you need to know.

Good luck, Claymore. Remember, there are no dumb questions. Whatever question you ask, I'm sure that there is someone on this forum who will have an answer for you. I know I still could learn a thing or two from these guys.
    "Sometimes there is Justice and sometimes there is Just Us"

Forum Member
    If you seriously want "action" ... look up some of the underfunded rural patrol agencies along the west coast. Here in Oregon, there are more than a few counties which are rolling 2-3 deputies per shift, for counties that are larger than a number of east coast states.

You'll roll code all night back and forth across the county, and usually end up in a fight when you get out of your car. Josephine County is particularity crazy right now. Plus, with the constant threat of layoff... there isn't a ton of competition for the jobs.

I'm kind of serious, the time I spent in Lane County before the levy was passed was pretty wild west. A big metro agency would be pretty constant calls for service as well... but that was already mentioned
    RIP EPD Kilcullen EOW April 22nd, 2011

The wicked flee when no man pursueth but the righteous are as bold as a lion.

Forum Member

Great post. But, I wonder what the mods are gonna say about u bringing back a thread that's 5 yrs and a couple days old...?
    ccia84, saone and bayranger like this.

Forum Member
    So I wonder what Claymoreman ended up doing? Is he in the juice right now??
    Empire02 and yea_buddy2 like this.

Forum Member

@OR213: I think your post is about five years too late, or is this your way of celebrating the thread's fifth anniversary? How do you even find a five year old thread to comment on?
    bayranger likes this.

Forum Member
    Umm... you get a little carried away searching for some duty gear related posts....
    RIP EPD Kilcullen EOW April 22nd, 2011

The wicked flee when no man pursueth but the righteous are as bold as a lion.

Forum Member
    +1

Also check out Baltimore City PD...more action than you will ever believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gringe View Post
    Check out the links I provided, and visit http://www.honorfirst.com

If action is all you're looking for, you're in the wrong career field.

These sites may be of more use to you:

http://www.goarmy.com
    http://www.marines.com
    http://www.navy.com
    http://www.airforce.com
    http://www.gocoastguard.com

Forum Member
    I think we need to form an 1811 task force to track down Claymoreman to definitively solve whether or not he's in "the action" ... "The juice", if you will.
    PSOSAC likes this.

Page 3 of 3 First 123