1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    214

    No ride alongs? NY state?

    I live in upstate NY, and I have called literally 4-5 departments that are local to me. City, town and county Sheriff. None of them offer ride alongs. They say it is due to insurance reasons... I have taken the Civil Service exam and passed and I would like to see what an actual ride along would be like. I have asked very politely but I'm not getting anywhere. I called another fairly large city and they said they are offered, I spoke with an officer and never got a call back.

    Any tips? Shooting blind here.

    Thank You.
    Trying to get on in NY...
    PM me if you hear of any upstate NY departments that are giving a civil service test.

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Montgomery Alabama
    Posts
    16,840
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraRy View Post
    I live in upstate NY, and I have called literally 4-5 departments that are local to me. City, town and county Sheriff. None of them offer ride alongs. They say it is due to insurance reasons... I have taken the Civil Service exam and passed and I would like to see what an actual ride along would be like. I have asked very politely but I'm not getting anywhere. I called another fairly large city and they said they are offered, I spoke with an officer and never got a call back.

    Any tips? Shooting blind here.

    Thank You.
    Ride alongs are pretty much a matter of agency policy. If you encounter a department which does not allow ride alongs, keep moving. Sooner or later, you'll find an agency which does them. Regarding the department you contacted,and haven't heard back from. Chances are they're fairly busy,and no discourtesy to you was intended. Call them back and see if you can be scheduled.

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipCal View Post
    Ride alongs are pretty much a matter of agency policy. If you encounter a department which does not allow ride alongs, keep moving. Sooner or later, you'll find an agency which does them. Regarding the department you contacted,and haven't heard back from. Chances are they're fairly busy,and no discourtesy to you was intended. Call them back and see if you can be scheduled.
    Phillip, I contacted another yesterday and spoke to a really nice officer. He urged my to go down to the station and ask, said I would have to fill out paperwork and then it would go to the higher ups. I let him know I was interested in that department and was very friendly after that.

    Thanks for your advice, you are always very helpfull to anyone in the process right now.

    R
    Trying to get on in NY...
    PM me if you hear of any upstate NY departments that are giving a civil service test.

  4. #4
    Retired Sergeant - CHP
    SgtCHP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Left Coast
    Posts
    6,252
    Noo disrespect intended, but your opening post leaves me to think you are entitled to be given a ride-along! Such is not the case. Every agency has its own policy regarding ride-alongs and many are reducing the opportunity due to insurance and personal liability.

    My suggestion would be to ask someone whom you personally know that is LE. That is generally a more positive approach; especially, if that person is aware of your interest in the job.

    Good luck to you and don't get discouraged. The job is awesome and is very rewarding - at least, it was for me.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]


  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Montgomery Alabama
    Posts
    16,840
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraRy View Post
    Phillip, I contacted another yesterday and spoke to a really nice officer. He urged my to go down to the station and ask, said I would have to fill out paperwork and then it would go to the higher ups. I let him know I was interested in that department and was very friendly after that.

    Thanks for your advice, you are always very helpfull to anyone in the process right now.

    R
    Okay, sounds great!! Good luck in your process.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtCHP View Post
    Noo disrespect intended, but your opening post leaves me to think you are entitled to be given a ride-along! Such is not the case. Every agency has its own policy regarding ride-alongs and many are reducing the opportunity due to insurance and personal liability.

    My suggestion would be to ask someone whom you personally know that is LE. That is generally a more positive approach; especially, if that person is aware of your interest in the job.

    Good luck to you and don't get discouraged. The job is awesome and is very rewarding - at least, it was for me.
    SGT,

    I do not think im entitled to a ride along. I have read countless threads on here on folks getting multiple ride alongs, and they seemed like it was a very easy process. I just wanted to get an idea what it would be like, first person view, on being a police officer for a night.

    I think NYS might be a bit different than states out west regarding ride along policy.

    No disrespect taken.
    Trying to get on in NY...
    PM me if you hear of any upstate NY departments that are giving a civil service test.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    ace789nj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    78
    Ride alongs not allowed where I am (Essex Co NJ). Liability is waay to high. I'm pretty sure no agency in NJ allows them.
    "Hope you ani't a lefty"

  8. #8
    Band-aid jockey
    mikeymedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Colorado Mountains
    Posts
    4,164
    Come to Colorado, Every ride along that I have done thus far were same day. I would call them and ask stating that I was in the process with their department (truth) and they asked when I was able to come in. Then I would ride until I got board and they dropped me off, no time limits.

  9. #9
    Blizzination
    Guest
    I'm with Sarge on this one... although I applaud your desire to see law enforcement up close prior to actually doing it.

    Sarge..if only you knew what I went through to get a CHP Ridealong! =P

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    214
    Went to another city PD, filed out paperwork and turned it in. Desk officer said they would call me shortly.
    Trying to get on in NY...
    PM me if you hear of any upstate NY departments that are giving a civil service test.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzination View Post
    desire to see law enforcement up close prior to actually doing it.


    Exactly.
    Trying to get on in NY...
    PM me if you hear of any upstate NY departments that are giving a civil service test.

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    822
    I personally hate doing ride alongs for someone who I didnt ask or know. most guys I work with dont like it. When we do get riders they try to rotate who gets them with some seniorty thrown in thank god.

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    214
    My ride along has been scheduled for tonight at 4:00pm-8:00pm!! I'll let you know how it goes.

    Cant wait!
    Trying to get on in NY...
    PM me if you hear of any upstate NY departments that are giving a civil service test.

  14. #14
    It erat quando hic adveni
    Oddball-Six's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    39°59'06"N, 104°49'13"W
    Posts
    765
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee_1 View Post
    I personally hate doing ride alongs for someone who I didnt ask or know. most guys I work with dont like it. When we do get riders they try to rotate who gets them with some seniorty thrown in thank god.
    Yankee, does it make a difference in the attitude if the rider is an adult?

    Or is in one of the volunteer orgs the department sponsors (Volunteers in policing, CERT, any kind of auxillary force you might have, etc).

    Also, would you maybe explain a little more why some folks don't like it so those reading the thread can understand the impact a little bit?
    -------------------------------
    You can't fix stupid, but you can arrest it. - LINY

    "Their house, their rules. And when they get robbed, they can call 911 and ask them to send a hippie to protect them." - ateamer

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddball-Six View Post
    Yankee, does it make a difference in the attitude if the rider is an adult?

    Or is in one of the volunteer orgs the department sponsors (Volunteers in policing, CERT, any kind of auxillary force you might have, etc).

    Also, would you maybe explain a little more why some folks don't like it so those reading the thread can understand the impact a little bit?
    Agreed, please chime in. What other way are we going to know how it's like to be a police officer?
    Trying to get on in NY...
    PM me if you hear of any upstate NY departments that are giving a civil service test.

  16. #16
    Cherub of Justice
    SlowDownThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    4,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddball-Six View Post

    Also, would you maybe explain a little more why some folks don't like it so those reading the thread can understand the impact a little bit?
    Perhaps I can explain.

    First, let me state this: I have done ride-alongs myself (as the officer) and I have arranged them for other officers. They do happen, but most guys don't like doing them.

    1) There is a liablility issue.

    2) The officer takes on additional responibility, that of someone else's safety.

    3) We tend to be rather coarse with each other in our discussion of things others may be sensitive about. It's just a coping mechanism, but the public just doesn't get it. The cops on here will.
    You can now follow me on twitter.

  17. #17
    Cherub of Justice
    SlowDownThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    4,141
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraRy View Post
    Agreed, please chime in. What other way are we going to know how it's like to be a police officer?
    What part of NYS are you in?
    You can now follow me on twitter.

  18. #18
    It erat quando hic adveni
    Oddball-Six's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    39°59'06"N, 104°49'13"W
    Posts
    765
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowDownThere View Post
    Perhaps I can explain.

    First, let me state this: I have done ride-alongs myself (as the officer) and I have arranged them for other officers. They do happen, but most guys don't like doing them.

    1) There is a liablility issue.

    2) The officer takes on additional responibility, that of someone else's safety.

    3) We tend to be rather coarse with each other in our discussion of things others may be sensitive about. It's just a coping mechanism, but the public just doesn't get it. The cops on here will.
    Excellent, thank you, SDT, I think that will clear it up a little better for many than some of the previous responses.

    Would you mind addressing two additional things?


    1) Does the age of the rider change anything in how the officer feels about being asked to do something like this by the department?
    (e.g. 16 vs 18 vs 21 vs 35 kind of thing, level of maturity and theoretically common sense)


    2) Does the rider's activities in respect to the department change anything in how the officer feels about being asked to do a ride along?
    (Thinking things like potential applicant, regular PD volunteer service, things like that.)
    Last edited by Oddball-Six; 01-29-2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: small semantic change
    -------------------------------
    You can't fix stupid, but you can arrest it. - LINY

    "Their house, their rules. And when they get robbed, they can call 911 and ask them to send a hippie to protect them." - ateamer

  19. #19
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowDownThere View Post
    Perhaps I can explain.

    First, let me state this: I have done ride-alongs myself (as the officer) and I have arranged them for other officers. They do happen, but most guys don't like doing them.

    1) There is a liablility issue.

    2) The officer takes on additional responibility, that of someone else's safety.

    3) We tend to be rather coarse with each other in our discussion of things others may be sensitive about. It's just a coping mechanism, but the public just doesn't get it. The cops on here will.
    All these make perfect sense, I just got home from my ride along and I'll post my findings after.

    Quote Originally Posted by SlowDownThere View Post
    What part of NYS are you in?
    I live in Upstate NY, Albany.
    Trying to get on in NY...
    PM me if you hear of any upstate NY departments that are giving a civil service test.

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    214
    I just got home from my ride along with an officer of a major city in NYS.

    I got to the station and they didn't know I had a ride along scheduled but I didn't care. I waited about 30minutes in the lobby and then an officer came out and introduced himself and handed me a vest to wear.

    We then left and I started asking basic questions about the department, etc. He was a new officer, on for a year and a half. Really nice guy and down to earth. It was a very slow nite for the city and we only had three calls or so. The rest was patrol.

    First call was an auto accident that took awhile to find, but we found it and got that taken care of.

    Next call was the best, a fight broke out in the city and we lights and sirened to the scene. Let me tell you, it's something else driving 60mph in traffic in a city with a speed limit of 30mph. Was crazy, and I loved every minute of it. We got to the scene last and there was about six other cars there already handling it. Went very fast, and the people were still screaming at eachother. All three people were arrested. I was allowed to watch and it was pretty cool.

    Third was a lady who ran a red light infront of us, he gave her a warning and I was allowed to stand out and watch too.

    Everyone was very close in this department, was about ten officers on in this section of the city. I would really love to work here and I passed the test and im on the civil service list.

    Night ended and we drove back, he thanked me for coming. He also said they only had about one ride along per month, which I was surprised at, I guess they dont do them that often.

    This definitely solidified my desire to become an officer. I will continue to pursue and reccomend anyone who is interested in becoming an officer to try to get a ride along scheduled in your neighborhood.
    Trying to get on in NY...
    PM me if you hear of any upstate NY departments that are giving a civil service test.

  21. #21
    Cherub of Justice
    SlowDownThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    4,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddball-Six View Post
    Excellent, thank you, SDT, I think that will clear it up a little better for many than some of the previous responses.

    Would you mind addressing two additional things?


    1) Does the age of the rider change anything in how the officer feels about being asked to do something like this by the department?
    (e.g. 16 vs 18 vs 21 vs 35 kind of thing, level of maturity and theoretically common sense)


    2) Does the rider's activities in respect to the department change anything in how the officer feels about being asked to do a ride along?
    (Thinking things like potential applicant, regular PD volunteer service, things like that.)

    1) Not so much the age, but the maturity of the rider does matter. A good candidate would be someone that could be tructed to do as they are told, whether that is to stay in the car, or whatever. Remember, that officer has the riders safety to think about. He doesn't need someone who can;t be trusted to follow simple instructions.

    2) Yes, potential applicants probabaly make the best ride-alongs. This is especially true if the officer buys into the recruiting effort of the department. A reporter would probably be the least welcome ride-along.
    You can now follow me on twitter.

  22. #22
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    426
    o yea i would prob leave the reporter in the worst project we have to offer and tell the jerk to fend for themselves with the savages

  23. #23
    Forum Member
    Nick331's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraRy View Post
    I live in Upstate NY, Albany.
    Me too, Schenectady County here. Did you ride along with the Albany PD? My grandmother lives on Western Ave, we were there Tuesday and Wednesday night due to my grandfathers passing. I swear Albany PD flies up that street all the time.

  24. #24
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick331 View Post
    Me too, Schenectady County here. Did you ride along with the Albany PD? My grandmother lives on Western Ave, we were there Tuesday and Wednesday night due to my grandfathers passing. I swear Albany PD flies up that street all the time.
    Sorry to hear about your grandfather.

    Yes I rode with Albany.
    Trying to get on in NY...
    PM me if you hear of any upstate NY departments that are giving a civil service test.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register