Professional Sheepdog

Qualities of a good cop

During every interview i've ever had, they always ask "What qualities do you think a police officer should have........."
    So i'm curious, besides the standard honesty, bravery, etc. bla blah...what are some other qualities that you all think a good cop should have?
    I think you should have a sense of humor....if you don't this job will make you insane. Also i think you should be compasionate/empathetic because besides all the dirtbags out there, there are people that genuinly(sp) need/want our help.
    What do you guys think?????
    “Fear not the night.

Fear that which walks the night.

And I am that which walks the night.

But only evil need fear me…

and gentle souls sleep safe in their beds…

because I walk the night.”

Relocation Expert
    Common sense

hai guise
    honesty, integrity, ethical morals, self motivation, someone who can accept that no matter how hard they try they will never be able to get rid of all the crime in the world, someone who does this job for self satisfaction instead of desiring praise from others for doing it.

Midwest Nittany Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by madchiken View Post
    Common sense
    +1
    1*

Forum Member

Law enforcement is "Collection and Intake Processing".

When someone or something down the line causes the case to be kicked out or disposed of in a way not satisfactory to you, it wasn't a reflection on you nor was it your fault provided you did your job properly.

A quality of a good cop that I've seen...they don't take what happens in court personally.

DPD
    Common sense is the big one....another is being able to make good decisions with little information and to be able to do it quickly.

A sense of humor is another BIG one.....if you can't laugh a little at yourself and life in general, you're probably going to have a very tough time being a Police Officer.

There are alot of different qualities that make good cops, and there are alot of different types of cops.
    I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Forum Member
    Not in the "Ask a Cop" section...So,
    EVERYBODY deserves RESPECT at all levels and rightly so.

So respecting those you encounter in your daily life, regardless of who you are, where you are or what profession your in goes a LONG way.

Cops are people, respect them, they'll respect you.

Give it first, give it twice, and if not returned, that person has lost my respect.
    Occam's Razor

Forum Member

Patience. Seriously... you have to have a lot of patience to deal with these idiots.

"Retired"
    Quote Originally Posted by madchiken View Post
    Common sense
    Quote Originally Posted by Chit2001 View Post
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaidon View Post
    Common sense is the big one....another is being able to make good decisions with little information and to be able to do it quickly.

A sense of humor is another BIG one.....if you can't laugh a little at yourself and life in general, you're probably going to have a very tough time being a Police Officer.

There are alot of different qualities that make good cops, and there are alot of different types of cops.
    What they all said....
    Last edited by ChiTownDet; 01-11-2009 at 12:17 PM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudChris View Post
    Patience. Seriously... you have to have a lot of patience to deal with these idiots.
    +10000000000000

Patience, patience and more patience.

You have to deal with drunks, folks on drugs, and others who are just dumber then a box of rocks. Talking with them is as about as tough as talking to your foot but you still have to try.

Forum Member
    I would hope our LEOs have the attitude that they are part of the community and not separate from it (us versus them mentality) and as an extension of that, they have an dedication to public service balanced with the wisdom to always protect themselves.
    Please support: http://www.vestnpdp.com

Forum Member

Empathy, humility, maturity, & life experience.

Princess
    Intuition. The ability to take a lot of information, some of it you may not realize you saw and intuit a conclusion based upon it.

Sheepdog
    And a good B.S. meter is helpful too....
    Went to Get a Cold Pop

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShantyIrish View Post
    And a good B.S. meter is helpful too....
    Very true. Make sure that you say the real word though and not B.S. on your interview.

You'll get extra points.

Forum Member

Flexibility.

You never know what you will be asked and or required to do. Things change moment by moment, you have to be able to adapt to those changes.
    What can brown do for you?

El Tambor Grande GRANDPA!
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockGirl View Post
    Flexibility.

You never know what you will be asked and or required to do. Things change moment by moment, you have to be able to adapt to those changes.
    That also includes being able to deal with new equipment, new procedures, administrators that come and go, politicians that come and go, and so on. If you are not one to adapt to change, then you won't last but a few years on the job.
    Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Have gun......will travel
    Most all good qualities above, determination will help him weather the frequent changes that come and go. Hand in hand with a sense of humor and patience.
    One see's many changes in his career but must stick to the ethics/principles that he first brought to this job.

RKT
    "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave