Forum Member

Dallas Police, What type of weapon is issued?

Hi,

I was just wondering if any DPD officers out there could tell me what kind of hand gun is issued by the department?

Thanks,

Mike

Forum Member

Sig p226 9mm.

Forum Member

You can buy your own weapon but it must be a Sig. In either 9mm or .357.

Forum Member
    I was issued a Sig P226. I was told i could switch to a .357 if I pay for it. I was also told that there was a short list of other guns that I could buy myself if I choose. Glock was on that list.

As for Patrol Rifle, I was told I had to buy my own and it had to be either Colt or Rock River. The training I received for shotgun was on Remington 870's. I dont know yet if we have to buy our own shotguns or if they are issued.
    DPD (Rookie)
    39 y/o
    M.S. Business Admin. & Information Systems
    PhD Student (CJ/HLS) program
    NRA Instructor

"Buy on the rumor... sell on the news"
    "If life has taught me anything it’s that 95% of the people are always wrong.”
    "Success = doing the opposite of what everyone else is doing"

Forum Member

^ Good to hear since I own a glock 22 & 27 and I also own a Rock River AR-15 w/ eotech, and other accessories. I was very worried about the required switch to a 9mm Sig. I'm a glock guy.
    Last edited by southchicopper; 01-12-2009 at 05:48 PM.

Forum Member
    NO GLOCKS!!!

You are only allowed to carry a Glock if you were hired before 2001.

AR-15s are authorized after you go to rifle school... after the academy and after field training.

Issued pistol is a Sig P226R in 9mm with DAK trigger. If your hands are small, you will be issued a Sig P239 in 9mm with DAK trigger.

Authorized personal purchase primary weapons are Sig P226 family or P229 family in .357 SIG. Authorized secondary/backup weapons are Sig P229 family or Sig 239 family in 9mm or .357 SIG, or Sig P232 family in .380 Auto. Ammunition for secondary weapons for duty and qualification is personal purchase. Duty and qualification ammunition is provided for primary weapons.
    Last edited by beavo451; 01-10-2009 at 09:46 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by beavo451 View Post
    NO GLOCKS!!!

AR-15s are authorized after you go to rifle school... after the academy and after field training.

Issued pistol is a Sig P226R in 9mm with DAK trigger. If your hands are small, you will be issued a Sig P239 in 9mm with DAK trigger.

Authorized personal purchase primary weapons are Sig P226 family or P229 family in .357 SIG. Authorized secondary/backup weapons are Sig P229 family or Sig 239 family in 9mm or .357 SIG, or Sig P232 family in .380 Auto. Ammunition for secondary weapons for duty and qualification is personal purchase. Duty and qualification ammunition is provided for primary weapons.
    Hands are to small you get the P229

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by southchicopper View Post
    ^ Thats awesome to hear since I own a glock 22 & 27 and I also own a Rock River AR-15 w/ eotech, and other accessories. I was very worried about the required switch to a 9mm Sig. I'm a glock guy. Do they let you qualify with your AR at the academy or is that something that happens after probation like some PD's?

Sorry man, no Glocks like beavo said, and you have to pass rifle qualifications with Iron sights before you can re-qualify with your eotech.
    Last edited by DerekFiveO; 01-12-2009 at 05:08 AM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekFiveO View Post
    Hands are to small you get the P229
    Hmmm.... perhaps, but this would be pointless as the grip sizes between a P226 and P229 are nearly identical. Somewhere in policy it states that P228s will be issued, but considering those are discontinued....

I have seen a P239 issued. The academy even has a training mold for it.

Forum Member

Way to burst my bubble beavo451, lol. I guess I'll be hitting my PD's range with a buddies p226. Do a lot of DPD guys use .357? I would prefer to go .357 since 40cal doesn't seem to be an option and 9mm is just too small of a round for my tastes. However, if 90% of guys are running with 9mm then having an "odd" round might be a negative if you end up in a shooting situation. At least they give you the DAK trigger which will make the transition easier.

NO GLOCKS!!!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by southchicopper View Post
    Way to burst my bubble beavo451
    No problem.

I'd say about 70/30 9mm/.357SIG (wild *** guess). I carry a .357 SIG. How is carrying a different caliber a negative?

Forum Member

Hmmm.... perhaps, but this would be pointless as the grip sizes between a P226 and P229 are nearly identical. Somewhere in policy it states that P228s will be issued, but considering those are discontinued....

I have seen a P239 issued. The academy even has a training mold for it.

P239 is a compact (backup), P229 is a full size with the smaller grip that you are talking about
    P229

P239
    Last edited by DerekFiveO; 01-12-2009 at 10:48 PM.

Forum Member

P226/P229 Differences: Shorter barrel and slide.

Negligible differences in height and weight

Forum Member

No problem.

I'd say about 70/30 9mm/.357SIG (wild *** guess). I carry a .357 SIG. How is carrying a different caliber a negative?

I don't want to discuss LEO tactics in an open forum. However, I'm refering to running low on ammunition while carrying an "odd" caliber.
    Last edited by southchicopper; 01-13-2009 at 12:56 AM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fencipede View Post
    P226/P229 Differences: Shorter barrel and slide.

Negligible differences in height and weight
    This.

I have a P226 and used to have a P229. The grip is slightly shorter, but the grip circumffrence and other dimensions are nearly identical. A person with smaller hands would not benefit from a P229. A P226 mag fits and functions in a P229 with about .5" sticking out from the bottom.

Forum Member
    Just out of curiosity, what is the issued duty ammunition and has it performed well?
    Sphinx

“It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible." - George Washington