DPH
    Forum Member

Firearm serial number check (need advice)

I inherited a couple old rifles from a distant relative and am unsure of their background. One is an old winchester lever action and the other is a old savage model 99 lever action. My question, is there any way to run the serial numbers on these to verify that they are clean? Will the local or State police do this?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Have gun......will travel
    Local Pd, SO or State Trooper. Don't bother trying to get it done here, no one will do it. There are reasons...........

RKT
    "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Resident Misanthrope
    Most places wil do it if you ask them. But they will need to be present and see the firearm. Keep in mind if they are much older firearms they may not have a serial number.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Forum Member

Contact your local PD or Sheriff Office. Call them first, don't just show up with guns in hand.

Aged like a fine wine
    Most departments will run the weapons through NCIC for stolen. Be advised, if there is a "hit", they will confiscate the weapon.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Forum Member

Sounds to me like you dont have any "Regulated" Firearms. I would doubt that ANY government entity would have any information on them because 1) depending on age, they were most likely manufactured and sold before there was any sort of registration requirement and 2) being un-regulated firearms there would be no reason to have them registered anywhere at all. The best place to find information on them would be to go to Winchester and Savage. They would be able to at least tell you when and where they were made.

Aged like a fine wine
    L223...

I think he just wants to make sure they are not reported as stolen, not their ancestry...
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DPH View Post
    I inherited a couple old rifles from a distant relative and am unsure of their background. One is an old winchester lever action and the other is a old savage model 99 lever action. My question, is there any way to run the serial numbers on these to verify that they are clean? Will the local or State police do this?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Call them and ask them, most BATF Offices and State Police will help you out. It's actually a good idea anytime you buy or inherit another person's or stragers firearm to make sure it isn't stolen to protect yourself later. The way guns go from one person to another any time you get a gun from anyone rather than buying it new in a store there is a better chance than most think it could be stolen and very well possible the person never knew it. Think about it.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan