Thread: Swim Test

Swim Test

Does every agency in FL require you to pass a swim test?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw5678 View Post
    No, in fact I'd say most don't.

I earned my scars, you?? ShadowWarrior's Avatar
    I have been involved in police officer training for many years (over 20) and I can say that the vast majority of police departments do not require a swim test. The Broward SO and the Broward Academy are the only ones that I have seen that do. Some other may, but if swimming is holding you back, there are plenty that dont require it.
    Police Academy Coordinator
    33+ years as a cop

No one gets left behind!

"Are you sure you want to be a cop in Florida?"
    Free Study Guides for Florida (and others) Police Recruits for Academy and State Exams: http://sites.google.com/site/flaleoh...t-study-guides
    My Police Academy's Facebook Page
    YouTubes Largest Military Videos Poster - http://www.youtube.com/user/3rdID8487
    Like us on Facebook - US Military

Forum Member
    C'mon it's not difficult at all. One lap. It should take 2-3 minutes. Plus, unless your an expierenced swimmer. Your gonna swim in the shallow end...

soontobefwc
    FWC requires a 200yd swim. Its kinda oblivious why.

Quote Originally Posted by soontobefwc View Post
    FWC requires a 200yd swim. Its kinda oblivious why.
    Forgot about them, my bad.. gonna be up at their academy in two weeks.. They should of come to mind..
    33+ years as a cop

No one gets left behind!

Free Study Guides for Florida (and others) Police Recruits for Academy and State Exams: http://sites.google.com/site/flaleoh...t-study-guides

thanks guys thinking of tryin to lateral down there, and honestly cant swim worth a sh$%

thanks guys thinking of tryin to lateral down there, and honestly cant swim worth a sh$%

Good for you, we can always use experienced officers from out of state. Go here and click on Training Equivalency: http://www.policecareers.org/ it should help. If you have any other questions, PM me..
    33+ years as a cop

No one gets left behind!

Forum Member
    Does each agency have their own swim test or is there a standardized version for all to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffster View Post
    Does each agency have their own swim test or is there a standardized version for all to use?
    Each agency has its own, there is not standard test.
    33+ years as a cop

No one gets left behind!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWarrior View Post
    Each agency has its own, there is not standard test.
    I've noticed that most (all?) agencies in Broward County require a swim test. They are all offered at the same college. Do all Broward County departments accept the same swim test?

Forum Member
    They should, since most likely there gonna go to the CJ Center at BCCC. Seriously though. Swimming is not hard, as long as you keep moving. If you go to the Y about 3 weeks before the test and practice. But don't stop. There's NO time limit at BCCC. You also only have to take it once in a lifetime.

Now with the clothing part. Don't be like me, and wear jeans. Wear a synthetic fabric, that will not cause a lot of resistance. Don't worry about drowning you'll be in shallow water (which I feel is a bad thing). There will be someone keeping an eye out. I begged to be in the deep end, because I was dumb and wore jeans. But thank God I showed my Coast Guard ID. The reason was I wasn't using my legs, it was all upper body (again it wasn't a long swim). I got a little tired, and used a modified breast stroke. Good Luck!!!!

Some of local SO's require a swim test. Orange and Osceola both do, however I know with orange if you are dive certified you can skip the test. None the less it was a joke, you can halfway drown and pass the thing. Hardest part is treading water for I think it was 3 minutes until you learn the trick Hold you're breath, allow all but just you're face to be above water (head tilted all the way back), you should just float like a cork.
    Last edited by lumalux; 01-05-2009 at 06:07 PM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lafman View Post
    They should, since most likely there gonna go to the CJ Center at BCCC. Seriously though. Swimming is not hard, as long as you keep moving. If you go to the Y about 3 weeks before the test and practice. But don't stop. There's NO time limit at BCCC. You also only have to take it once in a lifetime.

Now with the clothing part. Don't be like me, and wear jeans. Wear a synthetic fabric, that will not cause a lot of resistance. Don't worry about drowning you'll be in shallow water (which I feel is a bad thing). There will be someone keeping an eye out. I begged to be in the deep end, because I was dumb and wore jeans. But thank God I showed my Coast Guard ID. The reason was I wasn't using my legs, it was all upper body (again it wasn't a long swim). I got a little tired, and used a modified breast stroke. Good Luck!!!!
    Yeah, I'm not worried about it. I've always been a strong swimmer (grew up in Michigan). So you have to wear normal clothes?

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone here can give me some info on what to expect on the swim test. I plan to take it next monday at BCC. I see we have to wear regular clothing? How much do you have to swim and will it be timed?

Thanks!

Forum Member
    Read the above post from me...
    One lap, wear synthetic fabric, don't stop moving. It should take 90 seconds to complete...

Hopeful
    I'm taking the test on Monday morning. I haven't bought pants yet. When you mention synthetic fabric, wtf is that? lol

Should i read the tags. Is that the material? I'm not a big shopper

INVICTUS
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasko View Post
    I'm taking the test on Monday morning. I haven't bought pants yet. When you mention synthetic fabric, wtf is that? lol

Should i read the tags. Is that the material? I'm not a big shopper
    Dude.. the swim test is a JOKE. Honestly, it's so easy .... I wore "wind pants" i used to wear in high school to work out in ..

Just wear any pants but sweats and jeans.. anything like wind pants.. running pants.. anything dude.

its so easy. no sweat.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWarrior View Post
    I have been involved in police officer training for many years (over 20) and I can say that the vast majority of police departments do not require a swim test. The Broward SO and the Broward Academy are the only ones that I have seen that do. Some other may, but if swimming is holding you back, there are plenty that dont require it.
    Hello, i just finished reading your information about getting hired and what may dq you. My credit isn't great, and that's my only negative problem. If i work on paying off some of my debt, would that be an advantage for me?