Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Crown Vic seatbelt DING disable

In an effort to keep everyone sane while cruising in high crime areas w/ your seat belt off, I found this in the owner's manual online and figured I'd share it. It works!

Seating and Safety Restraints

• The ignition switch is in the OFF position

• The driver and front passenger safety belts are unbuckled

While the design allows you to deactivate your Belt-Minder, this
    system is designed to improve your chances of being safely
    belted and surviving an accident. We recommend you leave the
    Belt-Minder system activated for yourself and others who may use the
    vehicle. To reduce the risk of injury, do not deactivate/activate the
    Belt-Minder feature while driving the vehicle.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN (or ON) position. (DO NOT

START THE ENGINE)

2. Wait until the safety belt warning light turns off. (Approximately 1

minute)

• Step 3 must be completed within 50 seconds after the safety belt

warning light turns off.

3. For the seating position being disabled, at a moderate speed, buckle

then unbuckle the safety belt 9 times, ending in the unbuckled state.

(Step 3 must be completed within 50 seconds after the safety belt

warning light turns off.)

• After Step 3, the restraint system warning light (airbag light) will be

turned on for three seconds.

4. Within approximately 7 seconds of the light turning off, buckle then

unbuckle the safety belt.

• This will disable the Belt-Minder feature for that seating position if it

is currently enabled. As confirmation, the restraint system warning

light will flash 4 times per second for 3 seconds.

Above 2 lines: I never got this on my dash but follow previous steps and it works.

• This will enable the Belt-Minder feature for that seating position if it

is currently disabled. As confirmation, the restraint system warning

light will flash 4 times per second for 3 seconds, followed by 3

seconds with the light off, then followed by the restraint system

warning light flashing 4 times per second for 3 seconds again.

Forum Member

Think you can find this for the Impala? It was disabled somehow, and then went to the shop and came out magically working. That or I gained enough weight to activate it.

mdyoung7
    good post...i am going to print this and hang it in the squad room.......

Forum Member
    How about something a LOT easier?

1. Go to a Ford dealer.

2. Walk into the parts department.

3. Approach the Counter person.

4. When prompted for your question, inquire as to the availability of a SEAT BELT EXTENDER.

5. If in stock, get it.

6. If NOT in stock, have one ordered....two if you put your crap on the front seat. More, if you want your partners to like you (there is no guarantee they will like you).

7. Proceed to the cashier.

8. Pay exactly $0.00 for each seat belt extender. See, per the ADA, these are free for the asking. I get some for the whole station in one run (they order them, I pick them up 3 days later).

They REALLY help the seat belt buckle clear your gear while sitting in the car with the belt on. It makes getting out of the seat belt really simple and much faster. It moves the buckle from behind your gun (right handed) or your hand held radio/expandable baton (left handed or passenger side righty) to just right of center. It also takes the belt off of your neck and onto your shoulder.

Plus, it makes the car think the seat belt is plugged in, and no constant seat belt reminder chime!!!! So, why wouldn't you do this? It's cheap (well, free), and super easy! If you do what the OP posted, if you have to remove the battery cables then you have to reset the whole thing all over again.
    Last edited by FJDave; 12-28-2008 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette
    Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by DAL
    You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Forum Member

FJDAVE,

Thats Great!! I have a chevy Tahoe I use for duty, does that apply to chevy vehicles too??

Do I have to tell them it's free under the ADA or do they already know?

Thanks,

G-man
    1*

Forum Member
    Hey G-MAN....yes, they already know, and it's for ANY vehicles. I have a Tahoe (4x4 with regular suspension) for the supervisor vehicle too...I hate it, but hey, it gets me from point A to point Z

Molon Labe
    Dave,

How much flak has Eastern given you guys for modifying the county vehicles?.....or have they even noticed?
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Forum Member
    They don't care. We use Johnson Control, not your mechanics (LONG story, but suffice it to say the County sees our cars as pool vehicles and are not pursuit rated). Besides, it's not a vehicle modification. It's simply a 6" long piece of seat belt with a buckle on each end. When we take the cars to Eastern (or in my case, Monrovia), we simply unbuckle the extender and take the car in. That way it doesn't come up missing.

Forum Member
    I got a belt extender. You can get them from ford for free. If you wear a belt it puts the button in a easy place to hit. It's not way down on your gun side. The belt extenders make the car think the seatbelt is buckled and I have never got a chime.

Molon Labe
    Quote Originally Posted by FJDave View Post
    They don't care. We use Johnson Control, not your mechanics (LONG story, but suffice it to say the County sees our cars as pool vehicles and are not pursuit rated). Besides, it's not a vehicle modification. It's simply a 6" long piece of seat belt with a buckle on each end. When we take the cars to Eastern (or in my case, Monrovia), we simply unbuckle the extender and take the car in. That way it doesn't come up missing.
    Copy......want to bet a cup of coffee that its out of policy (for us, in any rate) to modify the car in ANY fashion?.....(and that includes adding things on, too)......

Of course, its also a no-no to pull fuses too.....

Every CV I drove was 'de-dinged' within the first 5 minutes of me driving it......
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Forum Member
    There is also a wire you (or SOMEONE, unknown who....) can cut to permanently disable it (for officer safety reasons, you know). But I have no idea what wire it is.

Forum Member
    Hmmm.... Mine doesn't ding so I guess the guy before me disabled the "dinger." On a related note, the thing that blew my mind was that he hadn't disabled the factory dome light which turned on when opening the door. It took me about 30 seconds to pull the bulb out and replace the cover. The after-market, manually-operated dome light is much better.
    The DA/SA handgun: A NAZI solution to a problem that didn't exist!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FJDave View Post
    Plus, it makes the car think the seat belt is plugged in, and no constant seat belt reminder chime!!!!.
    Doesn't work in the Impala.

Forum Member
    Well then, it seems like it might be time to find that wire.....

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenners View Post
    Think you can find this for the Impala? It was disabled somehow, and then went to the shop and came out magically working. That or I gained enough weight to activate it.
    All chevy manuals, see below link.

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/owners/c...nuals/overview

Evil Inside
    The door chime and the dome light are good mods for safety. Also, nothing is more annoying when you hear someone clear and their door chime is going off....

The next one I wanna do is disable the amber marker lamps between the headlights on my CV. Nothing screams cop car like those things. Its tricky tho cause each lamp has one bulb in it. And each bulb has two elements, one for marker light and one for turn signal.

Any thoughts?

Enjoys his job
    Anyone have a workaround for a dodge?
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

The views expressed by this screen name do not represent any civilian,municipal, military, or federal law enforcement agency and are strictly the views of the individual writing. Under no circumstances should someone consider the content of these posts to have anything less than a great deal of sarcasm interlaced throughout. Read at your own risk.

Zombie Survival Expert
    You are my hero, BPD 126. I always wondered how this was done but was far to lazy to read the manual. =P

Tonight will be a chime free night! Hoorah!
    There can be only one alpha male.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
    You are my hero, BPD 126. I always wondered how this was done but was far to lazy to read the manual. =P

Tonight will be a chime free night! Hoorah!
    Yeah we only have a whopping fleet of about 12 patrol cars. I think most of them are done w/ the ding in the last few days. I forwarded it on to everyone and we all drive different cars all the time. It's nice being a minute away from a call on a side street and not having to hear it. I'm thinkin, "Alright! Someone got the memo!" LOL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by a320az View Post
    The next one I wanna do is disable the amber marker lamps between the headlights on my CV. Nothing screams cop car like those things. Its tricky tho cause each lamp has one bulb in it. And each bulb has two elements, one for marker light and one for turn signal.

Any thoughts?
    Those things actually work? Take it to the KCPD garage and they will never function again...and not because they know some trick to "fix" that. There's also the semi-functioning left headlight that they can never seem to figure out. But oh, I get it, they're trying to help us not be so conspicuous
    "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." --Dave Grossman

Evil Inside

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by kcpd2528 View Post
    Those things actually work? Take it to the KCPD garage and they will never function again...and not because they know some trick to "fix" that. There's also the semi-functioning left headlight that they can never seem to figure out. But oh, I get it, they're trying to help us not be so conspicuous
    LMAO...

Forum Member

I am begging you all to wear your seatbelts. Please. I have been in 4 major collisions, none of which I was at fault, and have been lucky enough to walk away from all of them.
    The first one, the car I was a passenger was in was t-boneed at an intersection by a DUI at 50mph. The collision hit the passnger door at the the mirror and popped the door open. The car spun with the door open while I looked at the ground below me. I saw the airbag deploy and felt the seatbelt dig into my neck as the centrifricul force was trying to throw me from the car.
    The second was a semi that ran a red light and took the front of may car off. Again i saw the airbags deploy, but never felt their impact.
    The third I was rear-ended by a DUI driver at 40 mph while and spun into a light pole. ( That one I felt the airbag. It;s not fun and the gas they use burns for days.
    The last one my car was rammed head on by a fleeing offender. again the seatbelts held me tight, I watched the airbags deploy and when I was able to kick my door open I was able to successfully pursue the offender on foor. Had I not been wearing the seat belt the offender would have made good his escape.
    If you use your seatbelt all the time, you develop muscle memory for getting in and out of it.
    Please use them. I do not want to go to the memorial in may and hear about brothers and sisters who did not make it home because they were't wearing their seatbelts.

Forum Member
    Will it work on a 2006 Ford F-150???

Forum Member
    I always wear my seat belt, except when I'm within a couple hundred feet of me stopping the car to get out. That's when the seat belt minder chime will give away my position, so I use the seat belt extender. I just unlatch the seat belt from the extender.

I agree, ALWAYS wear the belt!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerE321 View Post
    Will it work on a 2006 Ford F-150???
    The seat belt extender will....read the manual to disable your chime.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last