Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Article: Police use excessive force, ER docs say

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081224/hl_nm/us_police_er

I think ER docs need to arrest these thugs and criminals before they make a conclusion about excessive force. I'm sure the docs aren't too concerned with their own safety...

Forum Member
    It's excessive, if you are a whining, soft, weak-azzed pu**y. Most medical types fall into that category.

I put my hands on a perp, they get hurt. Period. What's the problem?

GGG
    Forum Member
    Dee de dedee dee dee de dee.......

This just in....

Cops say ER Docs are over charging patients and mismanaging their medical treatment.

How about the docs concentrate on fixing them, and let us worry about putting them in jail. I don't decide how much force to use, the subject in question does.

Molon Labe
    Just because the suspect has some dings and dents on them, HOW exactly does that make it 'excessive force'?......

Without knowing the circs of how the suspect ended up with the injuries, all of the Docs are talking out their butts about it being 'excessive' or not.....which isnt all that shocking.....
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

All hail Smurf!

Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    Dee de dedee dee dee de dee.......

This just in....

Cops say ER Docs are over charging patients and mismanaging their medical treatment.

How about the docs concentrate on fixing them, and let us worry about putting them in jail. I don't decide how much force to use, the subject in question does.
    Get some GGG! Get some!

Annoyed, amazed & amused!
    This is a war the E/R docs should think twice about starting.

Who's going to come when they call about a problem child in their hospital?

If you're licensed by the state, then the state has a staff of investigators standing by when someone calls and says you're misbehaving. When cops start calling the E/R doc's admin, or state regilatory body concerning physician ethics/practices...we'll see who functions well when the shoes on the other foot.
    "Many times, I have thoughts and feelings which can only be expressed through dance!" - Bender, Futurama

"Ranking right up there with 'No good deed goes unpunished' are:

'Sooner or later, we just might outlive our usefulness to others' and...

'Sometimes it's very possible to push the most loving and loyal person, beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t'"
    - Yours truly

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    Back in the early 70's I took a prisoner to L.A. County-U.S.C. Medical Center for ER after a lengthy struggle to get him into custody. He had some lacerations and contusions.

The ER doctor, a long haired, wire glasses, hippy looking young man demanded the cuffs be removed. My partner and I removed the single set and recuffed each arm to the bed sides. Again, the doctor demanded the cuffs be removed.

I handed him a key and said "be my guest, doc!" As he removed one cuff, the suspect swung hard with his free hand and hit the doc square in the face. He immediately reeled backwards and screamed, "Put the cuffs back on that son-of-a-bitch!"

The young doctor, bleeding from the nose then proceeded to suture a wound on the suspect - sans any numbing medication!

From then on, the doctor was very considerate to LEOs in the ER.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Forum Member

And, exactly how the f**k would a doc know if the force used was 'excessive'? By the nature of the injury?? I don't think so! Does the doc know what the suspect was doing at the time he/she had force used against him/her? Nope.

Every injury from a sprained pinky, to the traumatic removal of brain matter can be excessive, or completely justified...A broken orbital may be excessive if the suspect was pulling away from police once handcuffed, or on the light side if the suspect was tugging on a cops holstered weapon.

What does a doc know? They don't get reports, nor should they. If they want to buy into the claims of a whinning arrestee who are rehersing their defense on the ER doc fine...The docs look like a**h*les on this one!

Forum Member
    I was just on my way over here to post that article. I just woke up to get ready for night shift and was checking my email when that caught my eye. What a load of crap!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 11b101abn View Post
    It's excessive, if you are a whining, soft, weak-azzed pu**y. Most medical types fall into that category.

I put my hands on a perp, they get hurt. Period. What's the problem?
    Talk about trivializing one of the most time honored and respected professions of all! Based on the words a few that you don't agree with?

Lather it like its stolen
    This is only being said because the majority of the individuals that have to go to the hospital after police encounters....dont have insurance.

The guy I shot on a traffic stop seems to think the force I used was excessive also. So since Im use to people telling me how I should do my job and what I should be able to deal with on my job, I see no problem with another group of people doing it as well.

Forum Member

Instead of complaining, why not offer the doctors the opportunity to sit in on or participate in a training class focusing on takedowns or force on force in the interests of "jointness", "cross profession communication" & "cooperation".

You are never going to change SOME people's mind, but for others, they complain because they don't understand why you do what you do.

For those people, your best weapon is communication and education...and nothing educates better than a paintball helmet, a groin protector, an airsoft gun and some scenario drills or some time on the mat with a few rubber knives.

Don't just say "You don't understand" - offer them the opportunity to see why for themselves.

Once they see how fast things occur and how easy it is to get hurt, you will see complaints from the Dr.'s drop.

Forum Member
    And, exactly how the f**k would a doc know if the force used was 'excessive'?

Exactly.....let me at them on cross in the civil suit. "So doctor, please outline your education, training, and experience in physical arrest tactics"
    T.K.
    http://tonykoester.blogspot.com/

"Nothing can destroy a government more quickly than its failure to observe its own laws, or worse, its disregard of the charter of its own existence" (Mr. Justice Stewart, Elkins v. United States 364 U.S. 206 (1960)

Forum Member
    Another monday morning quarterback who has no clue........ I guess we should review a few of their patients and make a malpractice statement against the doctor. If they are qualified to judge excessive force then we can judge malpractice.

Forum Member

I will never forget the night we had some raving Adam Henry getting stiched up in the ER. He was screaming at the doctor calling him every name in the book. The doctor warned him numerous times to shut up or he would be sorry. The verbal abuse continued, so what did the doctor do....

HE STICHED UP HIS LIPS CLOSED.....

The best ER doctor I ever met..
    Retired LASD

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieth M. View Post
    This is a war the E/R docs should think twice about starting.
    Whoa there! I don't think "the E/R docs" are trying to start a war. This was a random survey with 315 replies, not a policy statement by a professional society.

The docs were asked if they believed excessive use of force actually occurs. 99.8% said yes. We'd get a similar response if we asked cops the same question.

A similar number, 97.8%, of docs said they had treated patients with "suspected excessive use of force." (emphasis added)

The question with an important answer is "How often is suspected excessive force observed?
    The answere given, "Nearly two thirds (65.3 percent) estimated that they had treated two or more cases of suspected excessive use of force per year," is meaningless. We can draw some comfort from a substantial minority reporting zero to one cases.

When cops start calling the E/R doc's admin, or state regilatory body concerning physician ethics/practices...
    OK, but "(71.2 percent) admitted that they did not report cases of suspected use of excessive force by law enforcement officers." Sounds like they're inclined to give us a pass.

Verbal Sniper
    If y'all bring that know-it-all doctor back on here for this discussion, I will cyber slap one of you.

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Molon Labe
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
    If y'all bring that know-it-all doctor back on here for this discussion, I will cyber slap one of you.
    Promise?
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Verbal Sniper

Don't be a smart arse Gealltanas, A chori
    Last edited by Smurfette_76; 12-24-2008 at 04:17 PM.

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Have gun......will travel
    LOL, Is this because of the post ...DOCTORS,THIS IS WHY PEOPLE HATE YOU
    HA
    HA
    HA
    RKT

Molon Labe
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurfette_76 View Post

Don't be a smart arse
    Surely, you dont mean ME, do you?.....

perspicacious pedagogue
    ^^^Oh, me next me next
    "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Quote Originally Posted by Seventy2002 View Post
    OK, but "(71.2 percent) admitted that they did not report cases of suspected use of excessive force by law enforcement officers." Sounds like they're inclined to give us a pass.
    No, it sounds like these hug-a-thug know-it-alls want to create a reporting process so the 71% can chime in on what they think is police abuse.
    "Many times, I have thoughts and feelings which can only be expressed through dance!" - Bender, Futurama

'Sometimes it's very possible to push the most loving and loyal person, beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t'"
    - Yours truly

Verbal Sniper
    Ohhhh, I got shivers. Lines of men, waiting on me to smack 'em. It's like a fantasy and stuff

ROFL

Quote Originally Posted by bigislander72 View Post
    Talk about trivializing one of the most time honored and respected professions of all! Based on the words a few that you don't agree with?
    Look, just like cops, once they get past their primary field of knowledge and start talking sports, politics, cars, and ____ (fill in the blank), they're just a dense as the rest of the population.

- Yours truly

Page 1 of 2 12 Last