Forum Member

New Budget Reduction Puts NYPD July Class In Jeopardy — Mayor

Credit goes to theerant.com

By TOMMY HALLISSEY
    Mayor Bloomberg, who has already cancelled a January police class, said Dec. 9 that the scheduled July class is no longer a certainty as his budget chief sought an additional 7-percent spending cut from all city agencies. The Mayor's remark at a press conference came the same day that Budget Director Mark Page forecast a new budget gap of $1.3 billion for fiscal year 2010, which begins July 1. "We're not going to have the next police class; we'll be very lucky to have any police class next year," Mr. Bloomberg said. The January Police Academy class was canceled in November as one casualty of the economic crisis caused by the tremors in the financial services industry.
    Tell NYPD to Outline $286M Cut
    Mr. Page asked agencies to make an additional seven-percent budget reduction for fiscal 2010 on top of the five-percent he previously prescribed for that year. The Police Department must chop $286 million as its share of the latest retrenchment, which is shared across all agencies.
    Even before the new demand for cuts, the July class was expected to be sharply scaled back from a planned hiring of 2,000 rookies to a maximum of 700.
    PBA President Patrick J. Lynch said of the budget cuts, "The NYPD is already 5,000 police officers under strength and any additional cuts to staffing would put public safety and economic viability at risk. If additional budget cuts are necessary, the city should make them in the many non-emergency, non-essential services it provides."
    Speaking at a Manhattan Sanitation Garage Dec. 9, the Mayor reiterated that since he could not reduce city workers' salaries, most of which were upgraded 4-percent annually by recent contract deals, he would be faced with the possibility of laying some of them off instead. "The next round of cuts will be reductions in personnel, because there is very little left to cut in the budget," the Mayor said. "We have gone through all of the low-hanging fruit and there is nothing left to do but actually downsize."
    In an attempt to stave off layoffs, City Council Speaker Christine Quinn has proposed transferring 360 police officers from administrative duties to policing and hiring the same number of civilians to fill their spots. That would save nearly $10 million in fiscal year 2010 because the civilians are less costly than uniformed staff, essentially reversing a cut the NYPD has proposed. The alternative budget proposal takes no position on either police class.
    Would Wipe Out Cadet Corps
    The plan, which would cut the NYPD budget by $2.1 million next fiscal year, would be phased in over an 18-month period. Also proposed is the elimination of the NYPD Police Cadet Corps Program, which provides qualified college students with full-time summer and part-time school-year employment for Cadets in the program, for a savings of $1.3 million next fiscal year.
    On top of that, Ms. Quinn proposed a 1-percent tax on the value of private security-system contracts that link into the city's 911 system. Another part of the proposal is the reduction of the department's advertising budget by $3.5 million in fiscal 2009 and $7 million the following year.
    "As we navigate our way through the financial crisis, we must compensate for budget shortfalls with an aggressive but sensible approach to spending reductions," said Speaker Quinn in announcing $500 million in additional and alternative spending reductions that would reduce the fiscal 2009 budget by nearly $170 million and the following year's budget by more than $325 million. "We must take the long view as we approach this and future budgets, so that we will avoid the mistakes of the 1970s and minimize the impact on our city."
    The other big-ticket item in the Council alternative NYPD budget reductions is a 10-percent reduction in uncommitted overtime that would save the city $12 million in 2009 and $24 million the following year. Also included in the plan were the proposed reduction of additional resources for the purchase of steroid testing materials, as well as for ammunition and counter-terrorism equipment and a reduction in the department's information technology maintenance.
    NYPD Exam 7/12/08
    #8305: 94%

Medical 8/26/08 -Done
    JST 9/2/08 - Done
    Written Psych 9/9/08 - Done
    Meeting BI 9/10/08 - Done
    Oral Psych 09/25/08 - Done
    Mini - Med - 11/04/08 - Done

Forum Member
    Some of the budget cut Quinn propose r good idea. Example the Police Cadet. I know many count on it to get through college but if there no cops protecting the city how safe would it be to get to college?
    NYPD
    Exam# 8316 12/2008

Ready for Hire!!

January 2012 - "Last of the mohicans"...... Just missed the July 2011 class.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexp View Post
    Credit goes to theerant.com

By TOMMY HALLISSEY
    Mayor Bloomberg, who has already cancelled a January police class, said Dec. 9 that the scheduled July class is no longer a certainty as his budget chief sought an additional 7-percent spending cut from all city agencies. The Mayor's remark at a press conference came the same day that Budget Director Mark Page forecast a new budget gap of $1.3 billion for fiscal year 2010, which begins July 1. "We're not going to have the next police class; we'll be very lucky to have any police class next year," Mr. Bloomberg said. The January Police Academy class was canceled in November as one casualty of the economic crisis caused by the tremors in the financial services industry.
    Tell NYPD to Outline $286M Cut
    Mr. Page asked agencies to make an additional seven-percent budget reduction for fiscal 2010 on top of the five-percent he previously prescribed for that year. The Police Department must chop $286 million as its share of the latest retrenchment, which is shared across all agencies.
    Even before the new demand for cuts, the July class was expected to be sharply scaled back from a planned hiring of 2,000 rookies to a maximum of 700.
    PBA President Patrick J. Lynch said of the budget cuts, "The NYPD is already 5,000 police officers under strength and any additional cuts to staffing would put public safety and economic viability at risk. If additional budget cuts are necessary, the city should make them in the many non-emergency, non-essential services it provides."
    Speaking at a Manhattan Sanitation Garage Dec. 9, the Mayor reiterated that since he could not reduce city workers' salaries, most of which were upgraded 4-percent annually by recent contract deals, he would be faced with the possibility of laying some of them off instead. "The next round of cuts will be reductions in personnel, because there is very little left to cut in the budget," the Mayor said. "We have gone through all of the low-hanging fruit and there is nothing left to do but actually downsize."
    In an attempt to stave off layoffs, City Council Speaker Christine Quinn has proposed transferring 360 police officers from administrative duties to policing and hiring the same number of civilians to fill their spots. That would save nearly $10 million in fiscal year 2010 because the civilians are less costly than uniformed staff, essentially reversing a cut the NYPD has proposed. The alternative budget proposal takes no position on either police class.
    Would Wipe Out Cadet Corps
    The plan, which would cut the NYPD budget by $2.1 million next fiscal year, would be phased in over an 18-month period. Also proposed is the elimination of the NYPD Police Cadet Corps Program, which provides qualified college students with full-time summer and part-time school-year employment for Cadets in the program, for a savings of $1.3 million next fiscal year.
    On top of that, Ms. Quinn proposed a 1-percent tax on the value of private security-system contracts that link into the city's 911 system. Another part of the proposal is the reduction of the department's advertising budget by $3.5 million in fiscal 2009 and $7 million the following year.
    "As we navigate our way through the financial crisis, we must compensate for budget shortfalls with an aggressive but sensible approach to spending reductions," said Speaker Quinn in announcing $500 million in additional and alternative spending reductions that would reduce the fiscal 2009 budget by nearly $170 million and the following year's budget by more than $325 million. "We must take the long view as we approach this and future budgets, so that we will avoid the mistakes of the 1970s and minimize the impact on our city."
    The other big-ticket item in the Council alternative NYPD budget reductions is a 10-percent reduction in uncommitted overtime that would save the city $12 million in 2009 and $24 million the following year. Also included in the plan were the proposed reduction of additional resources for the purchase of steroid testing materials, as well as for ammunition and counter-terrorism equipment and a reduction in the department's information technology maintenance.
    ^#^^ you just made my day bro.....smell very very bad for us...
    Exam 8300

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cvamal View Post
    ^#^^ you just made my day bro.....smell very very bad for us...
    It gets worst everyday. I was very hopeful for the July class but I'm really having my doubts now. I'm even having my doubts for the Jan 2010 class.
    NYPD
    Exam# 8316 12/2008

Ready for Hire!!

Forum Member

This shouldn't really surprise anybody. They cut the January class because of huge budget problems and those problems were considered to get much bigger come the next fiscal year. Now you hear talk about possible layoffs I don't think the city has much choice then to cancel yet another class. For those who are graduating try not to think about it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyballer31 View Post
    This shouldn't really surprise anybody. They cut the January class because of huge budget problems and those problems were considered to get much bigger come the next fiscal year. Now you hear talk about possible layoffs I don't think the city has much choice then to cancel yet another class. For those who are graduating try not to think about it.
    Don't think this effects those that are graduating.. The article barely mentions us...

Forum Member

They should try offering buy outs. It worked back in the 1990's. Get some officers with 18 or 19 years on the job and offer them there full pension if they leave now. That reduces the budget because you get rid of people being paid higher salaries and the NYPD can put in a class of recruits making less money. I definitley agree with putting PO's back on the streets and having civilians performing some administrative functions. Do they really need all of those cops at the medical office performing blood pressures and eye exams? Hire a few medical assistants at 40k a year and save 50k per person. There are ways to save money and still have an academy. Like I have said before, I am ****ed about January but I would rather wait and know I have a job then go in and get laid off a few months later..
    Decided against NYPD
    Wasted my time with that

Amtrak PD Exam 8/07 Passed
    Interview 2/19/09 Passed
    Written Psych 2/19/09 Passed
    BI "Blue Book" Turned in 2/23
    Oral Psych 3/11/09 Passed
    BI Meeting 10/04/09- BI Complete
    Medical ?
    Academy ?

Forum Member

NY1 is reporting that the city council reached a budget deal with the mayor that will allow half of the January class to go in so things are looking up!

go to NY1's website its one of the top stories!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mark2377 View Post
    NY1 is reporting that the city council reached a budget deal with the mayor that will allow half of the January class to go in so things are looking up!

go to NY1's website its one of the top stories!!!
    Thank god! That means current cops won't get laid off either.
    NYPD Exam 7/12/08
    #8305: 94%

Medical 8/26/08 -Done
    JST 9/2/08 - Done
    Written Psych 9/9/08 - Done
    Meeting BI 9/10/08 - Done
    Oral Psych 09/25/08 - Done
    Mini - Med - 11/04/08 - Done

Forum Member
    Finally good news. Thought I wouldn't be hearing any this soon.
    When the public needs help, they call the police. When the police need help, they call ESU.

" To Protect and Serve"

Forum Member
    Yea good news finally coming in for NYPD but I'm a CUNY student so its bad news for me as well
    NYPD
    Exam# 8316 12/2008

Ready for Hire!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by J-manX View Post
    Yea good news finally coming in for NYPD but I'm a CUNY student so its bad news for me as well
    What school you at? Also what are they raising the cost?

Forum Member
    City Tech in Brooklyn. IDK i dont think they said how much.
    NYPD
    Exam# 8316 12/2008

Ready for Hire!!

Forum Member

I hope they keep the july class open, I passed the tests, just waiting for a hire date now

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by usman939 View Post
    I hope they keep the july class open, I passed the tests, just waiting for a hire date now
    your response to this had me worried. I saw this thread and didn't know it was old, thought there was new news.

Forum Member

Here it is:

While the state budget is taking center stage this morning, there's word a budget deal may be in the works at City Hall.

Sources tell the Daily News that the deal between Mayor Michael Bloomberg and the City Council would raise property taxes about eight percent, yet keep the $400 property-tax rebate in place.

That rebate has been a point of contention between the mayor, who wants to cancel it because the city cannot afford it, and some council members, who say homeowners deserve the checks they are counting on.

The deal reportedly would also keep in place about half of next month's police academy class, which the NYPD had threatened to delay.

Comptroller Bill Thompson yesterday warned the city could be facing a $1.9 billion budget gap this fiscal year. Bloomberg's original plan projected no deficit this year, with a $1.3 billion gap next year and $5 billion the following year.

Forum Member

Umm, why did you post that?

Forum Member
    Wow all this madness going on! I would have never seen any of this coming. I hope everyone who passed the test get through one way or another. Good Luck!!!