Forum Member

Important differences between Remington 870 Police and 870 Express shotguns

Since it seems like this subject always comes up every months or two, I figured I would post this. Here is the official wording from Remington's Military Division on the differences:

The 870 Express has been an important part of Remington’s offering to the sporting market. It was designed to meet a price point in the commercial market while still providing classic 870 functionality. All of Remington’s 870’s have interchangeable parts, even if they have cosmetic differences. It is also important to note that many manufacturers use the 870 Express platform
    for their Police / Combat models. Without exception, every manufacturer who utilizes our 870 platform serves to upgrade their system to a more efficient, street worthy platform.

While the 870 Express is still an 870, the best pump shotgun on the market, there are some very important cosmetic and functional differences between it and the 870 Police. To our customers in Law Enforcement, Military, Corrections, and Security, whose lives depend upon the unfailing performance of Remington shotguns, the Police modifications are of paramount importance.

Synopses of the variances are provided below.

• 870 Police shotguns go thru a special 23 station check list – ranging from visual inspection, functional testing, test firing, and final inspection.
    • All Police shotguns are assembled in a “special build area” at the plant in Ilion, NY. This section is secured and serves only to build LE and Military shotguns, with the same factory personnel working at that assignment each shift.
    • All parts that enter the “special build area” are visually inspected by hand to ensure top quality and functionality.
    • Due to heavy recoil in buck and slug loads, all 870 Police guns have a longer
    magazine spring which ensures positive feed and function.
    • A heavier sear spring is used to generate a reliable, positive trigger pull between 5 and 8 lbs.
    • A heavier carrier dog spring is used to ensure when the carrier elevates the shell, it will be held there until the bolt can push it into the chamber. This ensures positive feeding when using heavier payload rounds.
    • Police shotguns do not have an ISS (Integrated Safety System) which is a locking mechanism on the safety of commercial shotguns. This type of locking mechanism can cause delay to an officer who needs the weapon but does not have the appropriate key. LE shotguns have the standard, proven, cross bolt safety.
    • The fore-end on the Express model is longer and not compatible with many police shotgun vehicle racks.
    • The Police shotguns utilize the heavy duty SPEEDFEED Stocks and Fore-ends.
    • The Express model will not allow for the addition of an extension tube without physical modification to the tube and barrel, which can nullify the warranty.
    • The Express model has a BEAD BLAST BLUE finish while the Police models utilize either High Luster bluing or Parkerization.
    • The Express model utilizes a synthetic trigger housing while the Police models use a compressed metal housing.
    • The Police shotgun barrel is locked down with a “ball detent” system in conjunction with the magazine cap vs. a lesser grade “synthetic magazine spring retainer” lock down as used on the Express system.
    • The receivers used in Police guns are “vibra honed” to smooth out rough finishes and remove burrs before parkerization or bluing.
    • Police shotguns use machined ejectors and extractors, as opposed to powdered metal cast which are utilized on the Express models.

So, there you have it. Almost straight from the horse's mouth. Enjoy!
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Forum Member

So is it possible to buy a Police trigger assembly and put it in an Express? I have an Express that I used on patrol until I was issued a Scattegun tech shorty shotgun. The express has never failed me, but it would be nice to be able to make the trigger assembly a little more durable.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPDNE View Post
    So is it possible to buy a Police trigger assembly and put it in an Express? I have an Express that I used on patrol until I was issued a Scattegun tech shorty shotgun. The express has never failed me, but it would be nice to be able to make the trigger assembly a little more durable.
    Yep. Just completed the swap on my express about 4 months ago....
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Forum Member
    I just checked Brownells. They don't sell a "Police" trigger assembly by Remington. They do, however, sell the heavier sear and magazine springs.

There are other trigger assemblies out there, but they're all recommended to be installed by a gunsmith. I'm not a Remington armorer, yet, so I don't know how difficult it would be to do on your own.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Forum Member
    SoCalSheriff - Where did you get the parts from?
    NRA Life Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
    There are other trigger assemblies out there, but they're all recommended to be installed by a gunsmith. I'm not a Remington armorer, yet, so I don't know how difficult it would be to do on your own.
    Our dept armorer will do work on personal firearms, so if I end up buying the parts I will have him do it.

Forum Member
    SoCalSheriff - Where did you get the parts from?
    I know an old time gunsmith near me that had a police 870 reciever laying around. It was sooooo pitted and neglected, he was going to destroy, rather than refinish it. I went in one day and asked about part availability. Scored the assembly for a 12 pack.

If it is something you are really after, check your local shops for old, used metal housing trigger assemblies. Buy the gun and swap.

Your "express" now has an updated, more durable trigger for tactical / duty / home defense, and you have another gun for "play".
    Last edited by SoCalSheriff; 12-06-2008 at 07:17 PM.
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Forum Member
    Ahhh....gotcha.
    NRA Life Member

Ewww, about that.
    Understanding what the weakest part of the Express model is, what assembly or component would best be upgraded to the Police model equivalent?

Forum Member

The 870 express is the most produced model and is made to be sold at walmart, dicks and the like for the lowest price. The tolerances on most everything are pretty loose, and its sort of hit or miss on if you have a problem or not.

Now the LEO/Military models from what I understand are built to much tighter tolerances, but are also a good bit more expensive but are almost always more reliable.

However that being said the most common problem I've seen with the 870 express models is the chamber walls, they are usually rough and can give you problems with extracting and ejecting, a good cleaning and polishing will usually do the trick.

Look around here for some more info on some 870 express issues, considering that waterfowling is some of the worst conditions these guns see being slung around in the mud, dropping in the water and what not.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewforum.php?f=100

Forum Member
    Is it legal for a civilian to buy a police model 870?
    If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Ignored:
    juicesnn4e2

Forum Member
    Yes. Look for 870 Police Magnum if you're Googling.
    NRA Life Member

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentFox View Post
    Understanding what the weakest part of the Express model is, what assembly or component would best be upgraded to the Police model equivalent?
    Sorry I missed this.

I don't know about "weak", but it looks like the parts that are swappable would be the springs and the trigger housing - although I've not heard stories of anyone having problems with the non-police trigger housing.
    NRA Life Member

Ewww, about that.
    Sorry I missed this.

I don't know about "weak", but it looks like the parts that are swappable would be the springs and the trigger housing - although I've not heard stories of anyone having problems with the non-police trigger housing.
    If nothing used in the Express is weak, how justified is the Police model?

I can appreciate stricter quality-control but over-the-top over-engineering and the price that follows isn't a way to justify the extra expense.

Forum Member
    Think of it as "hard use." Police shotguns are subjected to all sorts of weather variations as well as being used more often than their "civilian" counterparts.
    NRA Life Member