Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Wanted: USMS Deputy Badge

Super Comfortable Duty Boots?

So I work part-time for the University Police Department as a Safety Officer and I have to patrol the entire campus, including every stairwell, roof access, housing lots, etc. I've got some normal black work boots I've been using but it's time to invest in some high-quality cop duty boots since I'll be having this job until I graduate. I've been looking at Galls.com at some Magnums and other boots but need some recommendations!

I'm on foot patrol for five to ten hours a shift. I rarely use my squad car, as I prefer foot patrols and the car is really only useful when I'm on nights patrolling parking lots. I'm in Alaska and can spend a lot of times outdoors in the winter (especially if we are tracking someone or responding to an incident in a remote parking lot) so I like to wear good wool socks with boots. What do you guys suggest for a comfortable boot that will handle snow and ice well enough during runs and not kill my feet?

Forum Member

5.11 Expert Patrol Boots. They're a bit pricey but they are absolutely amazing! They feel like track shoes and took no breaking in. I do a good amount of foot patrol as well, and these boots are very supportive. I often take 3' - 4' drops and my heels don't even notice.

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Ho...:10703/I/12203

Those look nice! How would they do in snow/ice? Can they handle loads of water well (snow on the boots will melt when I'm in the station and soak them)? I do need a good supportive boot, I'm a bigger dude and I notice I'm starting to get shin splints when hopping fences/running on parking lots with the impact.

They are a bit spendy...

Forum Member

They're waterproof. i don't know how the breathable fabric spots handle water... but i've stepped in plenty of big puddle and never gotten my socks wet. They handle ice/snow better than other boots I've used. But I'm not in Alaska, I have no idea what weather conditions you deal with.

Great for running in. Really really great.

If you can find a place near you that has these boots, try them on.

Forum Member
    Anything by Danner. They make them with zippers, insulation, all leather...whatever you want. They last forever and clean up really well too. They're not not low priced, but you literally get what you pay for - fine quality boots. Ignore all the other suggestions. lol

Those insulated Striker II boots look amazing. Sounds like my parents might be picking up some of my "cop gear" wishlist for Christmas, here's hoping for some Strikers II or 5.11

Forum Member
    Some Danner boots can be re-soled, too. Although I don't believe the Striker series applies there.

I'm going to pick up a pair of the 5.11 XPRT boots to replace the Magnums I've got now.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Forum Member

I second the danners. My 1st pair of danner strikers lasted about three years through more then a few snowstorms. I'm gonna buy a another pair soon and as someone already mentioned you can get them in sidezip, goretex, and different levels of insulation. Best boots I have ever owned.

LPI
    Problem Solver
    +1 on 5.11, super light and comfortable.

LA Police Gear has free S&H, 4 free pair of 5.11 socks, and great prices.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/footwear.html

Forum Member
    Personally, I'd say that Danners are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. I prefer the 8" Acadia...they come in uninsulated, 200g, and 400g Thinsulate, all waterproof. Plus, Danners can be sent back to the company and resoled for a pretty minimal price (at least, compaired to the cost of a new pair of boots).

You'll spend a pretty penny for Danners, though. The best price I've found is from Brateman's in Indiana.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Forum Member

The 5.11 Sleet is designed for cold weather wear.

5.11 does a good job of specializing items for the task at hand. It's not all the same product with different features, like some companies do. So make sure you try on each model. I tried on the ATAC Zip and it wasn't very comfortable for me, but the Xpert Patrol was perfect.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
    Anything by Danner. Ignore all the other suggestions. lol
    What he said.
    "Do or Do Not.............There is no try."
    -Jedi Master Yoda

Forum Member
    I picked up the Rocky Portland series and they're very nice. I see they've gone down $20 since I purchased mine 3 months ago......

http://www.ombexpress.com/product~sku~BT017.asp

Talked to a bunch of our shift officers and most them had Danner Strykers or Acadias. One of them also recommended Rocky as well. Looks like I'll just get some Strykers, most the guys said those were the best.

Forum Member
    I used to do a similar deal when I was in college. I wore Rocky Paratrooper boots. They kept my feet warm and dry in the winter, but would tear my heels up. I had to wear two pairs of socks for padding.

These days I still do a lot of foot patrol, but around a decent sized hospital. I wear Danner Acadias during the winter. My feet hurt a bit if I walk too much, but the Acadias are not nearly as hard on my heels.
    Don't ever pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
    Sorry, champ. Armoring your nads is weird, so deal with it.

Forum Member

ive had all kinds of boots and nothin in my opinion tops danner. i frequently do foot patrols and get into a lot of foot pursuits, and love the way these boots fit and feel. i have strikers without the side zipper.

Forum Member

I love my Rocky Eliminators!

Resident Crossfitter

Another vote for anything Danner. I went threw two pairs of 5.11's in three months and I only work at a hospital as a security officer, worst boots I ever purchased.

Forum Member

+1 more for the Danner Acadias. I've had a pair for just over four years, and they've held up quite well. Someone mentioned getting them resoled, and I've had a local shoe repair store resole mine when they need it for around $50 or so.

One thing to note is that they're sized a little differently. For example, if you wear a size 11 in one brand of boots, you might wear a 13 in Danner, so defintely try them on before buying them.

Firefighter/Cop (crazy)
    Rockies are fine, I wear converse slip ons at the firehouse, I wear bates low top boots for patrol, which I love, they are light and nice and s upportive.

I used to wear danners, but I find them to be incredibly hot.
    Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Forum Member
    And I've got the nice 5.11 cushie socks! Soooo comfy and worth it!

Waste Management Engineer

Forum Member

I just bought Bates as well. Very Economical and VERY comfortable!

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/Prod...-Side-Zip.aspx

I havnt had a chance to wear them that much yet but so far Im happy

Forum Member
    How many pair of boots do you guys and gals have for patrol?

I have two pair of danners boots, bought a pair on sale back in July and bought the other pair on black Friday on sale. I figure I get two because that way I can just rotate them. one day one pair the next day the other pair. I would recommend danners too, they're real comfortable.
    "Why you harassing me?"

Forum Member

I would love Danners, but just don't have the money. I got these at the local toy store a few months go and love them. They're pretty much everything-proof and did pretty good during Fay a while back (with the exception of one time, but that was because the water came up to about 6 inches above the top of the boot). I only had to put in an extra $40 or so with the $75 that the city gives me every year. It only took a few days to break them in and since then they've been extremely comfortable. I wish they had a knife pocket like the 5.11s but other than that I can't complain.

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/Prod...List=253%2c232

Quote Originally Posted by John2008 View Post
    How many pair of boots do you guys and gals have for patrol?

I have two pair of danners boots, bought a pair on sale back in July and bought the other pair on black Friday on sale. I figure I get two because that way I can just rotate them. one day one pair the next day the other pair. I would recommend danners too, they're real comfortable.
    I only have one but if I needed to I could always throw on my old pair.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last