Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Forum Member

best handgun for the money?

I'm going to a big gun show this weekend and looking to buy a handgun but wondering what's the best for the money? What kind to stay away from etc. I wanna glock but dont really wanna spend $500 on one

Deputy Sheriff
    $500 is more then reasonable when it comes to a firearm. $500 is a very small price to pay when it comes to your safety or that of loved ones.

Whatever you buy, make sure you are proficient with it. A working gun that costs $500 in the hand of a proficient marksman will always outshoot a $2000 gun in the hand of a novice.

Having said that I am a huge fan of Kimber firearms.
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

FTO

Quote Originally Posted by pujolsfan146 View Post
    $500 is more then reasonable when it comes to a firearm. $500 is a very small price to pay when it comes to your safety or that of loved ones.

Whatever you buy, make sure you are proficient with it. A working gun that costs $500 in the hand of a proficient marksman will always outshoot a $2000 gun in the hand of a novice.
    You should be able to find a used Glock for around $350-$400. They're nice weapons and don't require as much maintenance as others (not implying that you should be irresponsible and not maintain the weapon). I am a little partial toward Glocks as I own several. If 1911's are your thing it's hard to go wrong with a Kimber or Springfield though!

Stay away from Lorcins and Hi-Points as they are worthless!!
    "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God" (Matthew 5:9)

Deputy Sheriff
    Quote Originally Posted by TN Cop View Post
    You should be able to find a used Glock for around $350-$400. They're nice weapons and don't require as much maintenance as others (not implying that you should be irresponsible and not maintain the weapon). I am a little partial toward Glocks as I own several. If 1911's are your thing it's hard to go wrong with a Kimber or Springfield though!

You are absolutely correct on the price of the Glocks. I should have made myself more clear. Good looking out!
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Forum Member

First of all, since you're a sworn deputy you can get a new glock for around $395.00. Not sure why you'd go to a gun show and pick up a used one for the same price. One thing to watch out for when buying glocks at a gun show. The ones I've seen in the $350 - $400 range are Gen 1 or Gen 2 glocks. That means they are old, and probably need a new set of internal parts. Maybe even a barrel. That's a good price even for a Gen 1 glock to the general public, but way out there for a LEO. Parts for Glocks are cheap, springs, plunger, pins, etc., but why have to buy them when you could pick a new Gen 3 glock up for the same price? JMHO.

Please disregard this post. I read the wrong profile and thought you were a sworn police officer. But the part about the Gen 1 & 2 is important. You want to know the general age and working condition of the gun.
    Last edited by blackhorse; 11-26-2008 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Thought the OP was LEO.

Police Officer
    Buy a used gun, if you have to just replace some of the internal workings....

But $500 is on the low side of handguns.

I bought my Glock 27 (.40 cal) for around $400... my fav gun.

Forum Member

Im wanting to get a glock 23 (.40 cal), is there a certain way to determine if it's gen 1, 2, or 3?

Forum Member

get a good carry wheelgun

Forum Member

I got my spriendfield xd .357 from a gunshop new for $475.

(just figured I would throw springfield some love since everyone is mentioning glocks)

Opionated
    Rock the Glock. Best choice for the money.

Forum Member

Sig...on par with glocks in reliability, performance and simplicity. May be more $$$.

Kimber...there is no substitute.

Forum Member

**double post**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerjoe04 View Post
    Im wanting to get a glock 23 (.40 cal), is there a certain way to determine if it's gen 1, 2, or 3?
    There are a few changes but generally speaking the easiest way to determine generation is the exterior of the weapon. The frame's grip, if they are totally smooth are gen 1. If they have checkering on the front strap and serrations to the rear gen 2 and universal rail adapter, thumb rests on both sides of the frame and finger grooves on the front strap of the pistol grip gen 3.

Internally, the extractor has also been changed twice and the locking block was enlarged along with the addition of another pin. Other modification include the recoil spring assembly that does not disassemble and the magazine floorplate was changed and the follower spring was fitted with a resistance insert at its base.

Forum Member

One thing you might like to try is handling every gun you can.. I personally DO NOT LIKE the Glock, it just does not feel right in my hand,,, but when I picked up the Kahr and Springfield for the first time,,, I loved the feel of it...

The Springfield XD is available in 9, 40 and 45, i think .357 also.. They are GREAT guns for the money.... Sig's are great as well,,, for off duty small guns,, The Kahr mp40 or pm9 is great www.kahrarms.com

I bought a Kahr K9 (1st generation) used years ago, and had a bad malfunction, called the company, spoke with the tech rep and he said they were having problems with the feed ramp being to sharp an angle.. Sent the weapon back to the factory, they polished the feed ramp, replaced some interanl parts, gave me a new recoil spring and replaced 2 magazines, all at NO COST,

I have put several hundred rounds thru it since the repair with NO MALFUNCTIONS since then...

But like someone else said,. while you can not go wrong with a Kahr, Smith, Sig, Glock, Springifeld, Colt, H&K or any brand name gun,,, AVOID LORCIN NORINCO, and Raven arms, like the plague...

good luck with your purchase

Midwest Nittany Lion
    *Best* handgun for the *money*?

Springfield XD.
    1*

LEO
    H&k Socom.

Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Forum Member

ended up buying the springfield xd40

Sarge
    ended up buying the springfield xd40
    We will await your range report. BTW, how much did it run you? If you don't mind telling...

Forum Member

433 plus tax

Sarge
    433 plus tax
    Thanks. Things are cheaper outside California. Good deal.

Forum Member

the best handgun for the money, is the one, that you pratice with, and shot, and you are comfortable with it in your hands... Money shouldnt matter when it comes to something that will save your *** in the field.

Forum Member

goin to shoot it today, cant wait to c how it shoots

Forum Member
    I'm going to a big gun show this weekend and looking to buy a handgun but wondering what's the best for the money? What kind to stay away from etc. I wanna glock but dont really wanna spend $500 on one
    If you are sworn law enforcement, get your Chief to sign the appropriate documentation and get your gun from GT Distributors. You have to make the drive to Chattanooga, TN, but a brand new Glock will run you about $420 w/tax.

**late post since you already bought your choice, but GT Distributors is the way to go. I bought my Glock 27 there.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN Cop View Post

Say that again, when I run across these, I think criminal right away. They are favorites of criminals because of their cheapness. Good thing for us is that they are pieces of crap and usually fails to shoot after 2-3 rounds While our Glocks are still singing to them

Enjoys his job
    Quote Originally Posted by stormz5192 View Post
    Rock the Glock. Best choice for the money.
    10-4.

Glock is not the prettiest gun, but you need a gun to go BOOM when that trigger is pulled. A Glock will do that as long as you have ammo and you do minimal upkeep.
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

The views expressed by this screen name do not represent any civilian,municipal, military, or federal law enforcement agency and are strictly the views of the individual writing. Under no circumstances should someone consider the content of these posts to have anything less than a great deal of sarcasm interlaced throughout. Read at your own risk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last