Forum Member

How can a "blank" kill you?

I've heard of times before and the recent one where that 15 year old was killed in a high school play with a blank bullet, how does it kill them? Does it sometimes shoot out stuff or something, I've always wondered this but never could find out.

Forum Member
    Blanks are essentially bullet-less ammo that is crimped at the end. It still has powder inside to make it go boom. That much pressure has to go somewhere. Fatalities from blanks are caused by someone holding the muzzle end of the weapon to the head of the victim, thinking it's safe since there's no actual "bullet". The pressure kills them. Cap guns are completely different.

http://www.motionpicturearmourer.com/q5.htm
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Band-aid jockey
    some blanks also use a small plastic disk about half the size of a contact lens that can be formed into a 900+ fps projectile. Plus like the Sgt. said you still have gsr and blow back pressures from contact.

Forum Member
    I thought mikeymedic was gonna point out I missed talking about the blank's pressure causing intracerebral hemmorhage!
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Look Ma No Hands!
    Isn't that how Brandon Lee was killed on the set of The Crow?
    It's better to be hated for what you are, then to be loved for what you are not.

VIP Member - Diamond
    Quote Originally Posted by safetyallday View Post
    Affirm

And Jon-Erik Hexum
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Forum Member

According to post-investigation reports, Brandon Lee was killed by debris from a previous round, that was in the chamber when the blank round was fired.

Sarge
    Quote Originally Posted by willowdared View Post
    Affirm

And Jon-Erik Hexum
    Makes me think of Jennifer O'Neill.....

Band-aid jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
    I thought mikeymedic was gonna point out I missed talking about the blank's pressure causing intracerebral hemmorhage!
    indeed, the resulting shock wave from the blast could result in ruptured blood vessels, thus causing a subdural hematoma and thus increase inter-cranial pressures.

Annoyed, amazed & amused!
    Here's the wikipedia link to Jon-Erik Hexum's bio. It explains the manner of "death by blank ammo":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum

Place a styrofoam cup right in front of an empty, but CO2 charged pellet gun. Pull the trigger. It should leave a hole. Same deal....high pressure channeled through a small hole into a weak target...now multiply that by all the gases and debris released by a blank ammo cartridge, into a human skull, and the results are deadly.
    "Many times, I have thoughts and feelings which can only be expressed through dance!" - Bender, Futurama

"Ranking right up there with 'No good deed goes unpunished' are:

'Sooner or later, we just might outlive our usefulness to others' and...

'Sometimes it's very possible to push the most loving and loyal person, beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t'"
    - Yours truly

Sarcasm on demand
    Movie studios make a few different types of blanks. Some are paper wads, and the gun is modified to operate on the limited gas pressure (compared to a real round), and it has the resulting flash/pop the camera wants. They also use "suicide blanks" with plugged barrels. These do not have any matter leaving the barrel, used for scenes where the gun is fired directly against the actor (hence the name). But even these can injure. A stuntman that later became the director of Chemical Evil was seriously wounded when the barrel plug made to allow the gun to function by creating backpressure dislodged and became the bullet itself.

This is why sets have dedicated "gun wranglers" so actors don't goof off, fail to clear a chamber after a scene, load the improper type of blank, etc.

Consult your physician to see if the 'Pism is right for you. Symptoms may include euphoria, smugness, moistness, and increased sarcasm levels. Discontinue use if you experience nausea, vomiting, or a condition lasting longer than 4 hours. Your mileage may vary, first time buyers are welcome, and wait at least 30 minutes before swimming. See our ad in this month's Cosmo, net weight before cooking.

Forum Member

In the Woods

One of my tranquilizer dart rifles is powered by blanks- .22 blanks even. When I open up the pressure orfice all the way it pushes a 280 grain dart at a deadly velocity.

Hoosier and proud :D
    THESE THINGS use a blank .22 or .27 cartridge to shoot a nail into concrete. Thats some serious force, so blanks can do a lot of damage.
    "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

Police: "Stop and we'll shoot!"
    Dilbert: "Stop AND we'll shoot? If you're gonna shoot, why should we stop?"
    Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

Forum Member

very ironic.

Sarge
    Quote Originally Posted by nogginbuster24 View Post
    very ironic.
    Hadn't thought of that, but you are right. Faking suicide and what do you know???

Added irony is your username and you pointed that out.

Forum Member
    Ever load a blank, and then leave a cleaning rod in the barrel? yeah...had to dig that thing out of the tree..
    "Every morning all the stupid people in your life get together to come up with more ways to make your life more difficult"

PST.com Written/Physical - 3/13/11 - Passed
    Pasco PD Oral Board - 4/13/11 - #5
    Pasco Background - Passed
    Polygraph - 5/12/11 -
    Chief's Interview - TBD
    Medical - TBD
    Psych - TBD

Forum Member

....plus, you can choke on them if you're not careful.

displaced hockeytowner
    Quote Originally Posted by safetyallday View Post
    There was another actor about 20 years ago killed like this. I don't remember his name anymore but he was a actor in some TV action show.

edit- Keith already got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieth M. View Post
    Here's the wikipedia link to Jon-Erik Hexum's bio. It explains the manner of "death by blank ammo":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum

Place a styrofoam cup right in front of an empty, but CO2 charged pellet gun. Pull the trigger. It should leave a hole. Same deal....high pressure channeled through a small hole into a weak target...now multiply that by all the gases and debris released by a blank ammo cartridge, into a human skull, and the results are deadly.
    Last edited by Rohan; 11-26-2008 at 01:51 PM.
    "When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power ... like God must feel when he's holding a gun. " Homer Simpson