NYPD to SCPD

Suffolk County Aux. Police

Does anyone have any information on the Suffolk auxiliary?.....I was thinking about looking into it as a way to make time go by until the July 09 NYPD academy, and to gain some useful experience in LE...but I would like to know if it is advantageous for me to do so or not. Thanks

Forum Member
    When the public needs help, they call the police. When the police need help, they call ESU.

" To Protect and Serve"

NYPD to SCPD

Thanks man......Do you think it is worthwhile to join something like this even if I am planning on hopefully entering the July academy for NYPD?

Forum Member

I do reserves for my town I live in and its totally cool. Its a small town so we don't do as much. The only thing is that you need to go through some training and that takes a little time. The time you are done will probally be the start of the NYPD, so just keep that in mind. For the position itself I like it.
    Hope that helps

NYPD to SCPD

Thanks for the input i appreciate it.....maybe I will wait to see how it goes for the July academy....I don't want to go through the whole process for nothing

Peace Officer
    I would definitely suggest joining the Suffolk County Auxiliary Police. Just to give you some basic info on their Program, they go through a 40 hour training course at the Suffolk County Police Academy, and receive Part Time Peace Officer certification, but they do not have peace officer status on duty. They only get limited duties peace officer powers during an emergency. Auxiliary officers have the option to carry a firearm on duty, but those who wish to carry a firearm while on duty must complete a probationary period and undergo extensive training before they are permitted to carry the firearm. The Suffolk County Auxiliary Police have their own fleet of patrol cars that have Auxiliary decals on them.

Here are some links for you:
    http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/police/auxiliarypolice.htm
    http://www.suffolkauxiliarypolice.com/
    http://www.auxiliary-police.org/suffolk/
    http://www.suffolkauxiliarypolice.com/cpg1416/
    Exams Taken/Jobs Applied For
    NYPD-2010
    NYC DEP Police-2010
    NYC Special Officer-2010
    NYRA Peace Officer-2010
    Suffolk County Police-2011
    MTA Police-2013
    Port Authority Police-2013
    Agencies Already Employed By
    NYRA Peace Officer-2010-2012
    Sea Gate Police-2012-2013
    NYPD Auxiliary Police-2009-Present
    NYC Department of Homeless Services Police-2012-Present

Banned

You're kidding. No peace officer status for them either? Just what the hell kind of reserve programmes do they run in NY???

Peace Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by DEcop989 View Post
    You're kidding. No peace officer status for them either? Just what the hell kind of reserve programmes do they run in NY???
    Welcome to NY, a state where they treat police and peace officers like second class citizens and Auxiliary officers like third class citizens. Many agencies in NY don't give their Auxiliary officers peace officer status on duty because they feel that it is to much of a liability, when it actually reduces liability. But, as pcs258 said, at least their officers can carry a firearm on duty for their protection.
    Exams Taken/Jobs Applied For
    NYPD-2010
    NYC DEP Police-2010
    NYC Special Officer-2010
    NYRA Peace Officer-2010
    Suffolk County Police-2011
    MTA Police-2013
    Port Authority Police-2013
    Agencies Already Employed By
    NYRA Peace Officer-2010-2012
    Sea Gate Police-2012-2013
    NYPD Auxiliary Police-2009-Present
    NYC Department of Homeless Services Police-2012-Present

Forum Member

Two random questions for those who might know, do Suffolk APO's get vest's? And if you are FT with another Dept. MTA, NYPD, etc., can you still be an APO in suffolk?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CAnde View Post
    Two random questions for those who might know, do Suffolk APO's get vest's? And if you are FT with another Dept. MTA, NYPD, etc., can you still be an APO in suffolk?
    LOL, why would you become an APO and not get paid for it when you can do the same thing plus MORE and get paid for it. Yes, I'm sure you want to give back to your community, but you can do the same while being FT, especially since being an APO you probably can't enforce a good amount of laws.

Forum Member

Just a question, obviously if one were to get paid and were offered OT etc. you'd take the helping people and making money, suppose for a minute you get on to MTA, or FBI uniformed in NYC both of which last I heard we're doing 12 hour shifts. Now lets say you're bored on your days off, can't pick up OT, have no hobbies, or perhaps just enjoy doing that kind of work, why not? I know plenty of vol. FD and EMT who get paid to do it and still volunteer so why not APO and being a PO?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAnde View Post
    Just a question, obviously if one were to get paid and were offered OT etc. you'd take the helping people and making money, suppose for a minute you get on to MTA, or FBI uniformed in NYC both of which last I heard we're doing 12 hour shifts. Now lets say you're bored on your days off, can't pick up OT, have no hobbies, or perhaps just enjoy doing that kind of work, why not? I know plenty of vol. FD and EMT who get paid to do it and still volunteer so why not APO and being a PO?
    From what I was told if I become a full time police officer and lets say I have to defend myself and shoot someone. The auxiliary is not going to cover me. And unless your LE job approves the volunteering they wouldn't cover you neither.I'm a volunteer Firefighter also and as a volunteer I'm a real firefighter.I just don't get paid.We get a pension after five years of service. Full pension after 25 years.If your house is on fire in my town we are the only dept. that's coming to put it out.
    N.Y.P.D. 95 Exam 7302
    N.Y.C.D.O.C. 92 Exam 7014
    Orientation-12/13/08-Done
    Psychological-1/15/09-Done
    Medical-1/23/09-Done
    Fire Safety-3/19/09-Done
    Agility-?????
    ....Rules are Jewels fit for the crown of a King....

Forum Member
    I'm not knocking volunteer work in any way, and I understand your argument about being bored on your days off. To me, it's valid. I would definitely look into who's covering your a** if something goes down on the volunteer gig.

If you're that bored, why not go back to school. I know as cops we're all invincible and nothing will hurt us, but what happens if you can't work anymore. The only career being a cop prepares you for is being a cop. Yeah, yeah, 3/4's, but 3/4's of your 3rd step isn't gonna cut it for the rest of your life - no matter what job you're on.

Pick something not related to police work - education, business, computer science, etc, and pick up an advanced degree. Why not? Make yourself marketable to employers.

Just a thought. My 2 cents.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arms & Hammers View Post
    From what I was told if I become a full time police officer and lets say I have to defend myself and shoot someone. The auxiliary is not going to cover me. And unless your LE job approves the volunteering they wouldn't cover you neither.I'm a volunteer Firefighter also and as a volunteer I'm a real firefighter.I just don't get paid.We get a pension after five years of service. Full pension after 25 years.If your house is on fire in my town we are the only dept. that's coming to put it out.
    Agreed. That's why I'm looking to do my Vol. FD in my town. You don't always have to do something just for a paycheck. I'm doing it for the pride and ability to help someone when they are in need.
    When the public needs help, they call the police. When the police need help, they call ESU.

" To Protect and Serve"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by STXHammer View Post
    Agreed. That's why I'm looking to do my Vol. FD in my town. You don't always have to do something just for a paycheck. I'm doing it for the pride and ability to help someone when they are in need.
    I'd say FD is a different story. I'm thinking about volunteering for FD. Don't feel like dealing with perps on my days off.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STXHammer View Post
    Also you will get two pensions when you retire.At my F.D. Dept we have alot of LEO's.My chief is a Nassau County Highway Cop so he gets his LE job pension and his F.D. pension when he retires.
    N.Y.P.D. 95 Exam 7302
    N.Y.C.D.O.C. 92 Exam 7014
    Orientation-12/13/08-Done
    Psychological-1/15/09-Done
    Medical-1/23/09-Done
    Fire Safety-3/19/09-Done
    Agility-?????
    ....Rules are Jewels fit for the crown of a King....