1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    100

    Fmj Vs Hp Vs Sp 5.56 Ammo

    It was/is my understanding that HP or SP .223 ammo is not recommedned for people sized targets. It over expands, lacks any penetration and is even defeated by heavy leather clothing. Let alone attempting to kill some one thru vehicle glass doors etc.

    These rounds were/are designed for varmit shooting not to kill hostile humans.

    Does any one have any new test data on the newer heavier projectiles that are not FMJ?
    ASSISTANCE FROM A DISTANCE BY .308

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    mid west
    Posts
    132
    Hornaday TAP does the number pretty darn good. The 223 has never been a glass buster. If you want the ballistic skinny contact the FBI studies. Hornaday will send you a book on request of the external and terminal ballistics on all their ammo. Belive you'll need the request on letterhead.

    Best of luck.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    beavo451's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,108
    Hornady TAP 75gr HP are considered one of the top "man-stoppers" in a 5.56 load. 5.56 FMJ rounds rely on velocity to fragment upon impact. With the popularity and usefulness of short barreled AR15s, velocity drops with less barrel and the effective range of FMJs is significantly reduced. Heavier bullets carry more energy to a greater range to make up for shorter barrels and loss of velocity. The hollow-point or soft-point ensures expansion at effective ranges.

    There is no magic, 1-shot stop bullet.

    Shoot until the threat is eliminated. Even with 45gr HP varmint loads, shoot somebody enough times and they will stop eventually.

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,697
    Quote Originally Posted by lesnper View Post
    Hornaday will send you a book on request of the external and terminal ballistics on all their ammo. Belive you'll need the request on letterhead.

    Best of luck.
    Nope.

    It's public info from Hornady:

    http://www.hornadyle.com/_img/hornady_tap_report.pdf

    The ammo PD's buy is the same ammo that gets sold on the regular market, and these days anyone who is a semi serious buyer of defensive ammo demands to know how the bullet did in IWBA & FBI testing protocals.

    Winchester got called on the carpet for refusing to release test data for its SXT civilian line of ammo for pistols, and as a result most people who know more about firearms don't use it.

    Ranger T, sure. But not the black box of 20 rounds under the SXT name.

    If a company won't tell me how the round is going to perform, I wonder why.

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ingleside, Tx
    Posts
    556
    Not all SP ammo is intended for varmints.
    Remingtons 55 gr SP actually looks pretty good, I've been considering buying some. I know people have used it for hogs and even deer.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    jwise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    College Station, Texas
    Posts
    3,972
    Boat Tail Hollow Point (BTHP) is not really a "hollow point" as much as it is a full metal jacket with a superficial hollow tip. That is the one you want.

    Ballistic tip is notorious for under-penetrating. Stay away from it, unless you need it for very specific purposes.
    J. Wise

    AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

    "Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

    Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.


  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    mid west
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell_in_CT View Post
    Nope.

    It's public info from Hornady:

    http://www.hornadyle.com/_img/hornady_tap_report.pdf

    The ammo PD's buy is the same ammo that gets sold on the regular market, and these days anyone who is a semi serious buyer of defensive ammo demands to know how the bullet did in IWBA & FBI testing protocals.

    Winchester got called on the carpet for refusing to release test data for its SXT civilian line of ammo for pistols, and as a result most people who know more about firearms don't use it.

    Ranger T, sure. But not the black box of 20 rounds under the SXT name.

    If a company won't tell me how the round is going to perform, I wonder why.
    Well there ya go!

  8. #8
    Oh no, it's da Po-Po
    Blackdog F4i's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,821
    Quote Originally Posted by kjk203 View Post
    These rounds were/are designed for varmit shooting not to kill hostile humans.
    IIRC the .223/5.56mm was actually designed as a combat cartridge THEN discovered by varmint hunters.

    You can select rounds that will penetrate heavy steel or shatter on light skinned animals. You can get loads that will be accurate at 1000 yards or that will be devastating at close range.

    It is a very versatile cartridge. It all depends on what you want it to do.

    The battlefield limitations usually surround the M855 round that is issued to our troops. From what I have heard the Mk262 77gr OTM round stops Hadji on contact.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Click here to log in or register