Forum Member

Removing license plate while parked

I can't figure out whether it's illegal to remove my license plate while my car is parked in a parking lot or on a public street. Besides the possibility of plate theft, it's also possible for someone to take down plate numbers for whatever malicious purposes. 50 bucks will get you the owner's information online. What would you do (on duty) if you spotted a car parked on the street with no plate?

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    Quote Originally Posted by britishdentist View Post
    I can't figure out whether it's illegal to remove my license plate while my car is parked in a parking lot or on a public street. Besides the possibility of plate theft, it's also possible for someone to take down plate numbers for whatever malicious purposes. 50 bucks will get you the owner's information online. What would you do (on duty) if you spotted a car parked on the street with no plate?
    In CA it is unlawful to park a vehicle on a public street or parking lot without displaying the proper license plate. In all likelihood, after a registration check of the VIN, a parking ticket would be issued for failure to display. Repeated violations could be dealt with in a more punitive manner: i.e. the vehicle could be towed.

If you are that paranoid, perhaps public transportation would be more suitable.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Forum Member

Tow it and check the VIN for stolen.

Forum Member
    I would run the VIN to make sure it wasnt stolen and then write it a ticket for no plates. They are required to be there. If you dont want to leave them on your car then you must park it on your own non-public property.

Wrong Place, Right Time.
    what the other said and...

auto parts stores offer special bolts to help prevent the theft of plates....
    ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne

Forum Member
    Public street = ticket and tow
    Private parking lot = abandoned vehicle tag at property owner's request, tow in 72 hours.

Ask em, Tell em, Make em
    Thats pretty flawed logic. No one is out to get you. And if they are.....its gonna take ALOT more than taking your tags off at night to stop em.

Dont be so paranoid. What ever someone can find out about you for $50 bucks....I can find out for free just with the internet. We live in an open society....get used to it.
    The greatest misconception in police work that gets more officers killed is alot of cops are still taught to use the "minimum force necessary". In reality a true professional will always resort to the "Maximum Allowable Force" to resolve a situation. They mean the same thing, however one is a restriction and the other is an empowerment.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SgtCHP View Post
    In CA it is unlawful to park a vehicle on a public street or parking lot without displaying the proper license plate. In all likelihood, after a registration check of the VIN, a parking ticket would be issued for failure to display. Repeated violations could be dealt with in a more punitive manner: i.e. the vehicle could be towed.

If you are that paranoid, perhaps public transportation would be more suitable.

Related question; I've never seen a CHP parking ticket besides a warning decal/antenna hanger. Do they exist?

Forum Member

Even on private property you could be issued a codes violation citation. I wouldn't bother taking them off. If your worried about them being stolen get the bolts that take star keys or whatever. These bolts are not commonly used for plates. But I doubt some random person is going to pay for your information unless your hiding from somebody.
    Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Verbal Sniper

Tow it and cite the owner is a possibility.

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Retired Sergeant - CHP
    Quote Originally Posted by cottonwood 41 View Post
    Related question; I've never seen a CHP parking ticket besides a warning decal/antenna hanger. Do they exist?
    Yes, they do! I issued many over my career. Don't forget the CHP patrols all unincorporated areas of the state and there are many parking violations, registration violations, etc. in those areas. The CHP cites under the vehicle code, county codes and municipal codes. All roads - all codes!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

This Can't Be!
    A red house in a red county in a red state in a red country
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackavar View Post
    To paraphrase Gordon Graham "I'm not a police officer. I'm state patrol, We're taller."

Removing plates isn't a problem here, but you're gonna want them out there in case yur unit is stolen.

As for stealing plates, pop rivet them on with steel rivets. Works like a charm.
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)