Forum Member

Rep -v- Dem Police Dept Funding

Being a soldier for 14 years, I can tell you whole heartedly, the Republican party has been EXTREMELY more pro-military than the Democratic. I have always said, "as long as I am in the military, I can't afford to be a Dem". My question is this, HISTORICALLY, which party have the departments benefitted more from. I know about personal finances and such, I am looking for POLICE DEPARTMENT funding. So, all of you old salts, put on your thinking caps and educate me. I am not looking for opinions, but facts. Thanks.

"Retired"
    Typically, we're stuck in the middle. While the Republicans agree to direct more money towards "hardline" law enforcement projects like: career criminal apprehension programs, prison construction and hiring more working police officers.

The Democrats provide better pay, benefits and retirement provisions for officers who work under their administrations. Programs like "Community Oriented Policing, the Police Athletic League" and citizen involvement programs (ie: midnight basketball) receive much more funding under Democratic administrations, because they're softer than those that concentrate on arrests and prosecutions. Democrats also fund more programs that look for police misconduct, such as audits to find "racial profiling."

Bottom line: Republicans want us to find criminals and jail them, but don't want to pay us well to do it, while Democrats pay us well to be nice, tutor kids and avoid making arrests because they involve controversy.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Forum Member

Thanks Pulli, that is exactly the kind of responses I am looking for.....thanks again for the input.

Forum Member

In any major metro area with about 750K+ population, the police dept. usually holds the key to the city if you ask me. That is especially true if there is a high % of lower income people in the city. Indy is a great city to look at. Cops here really started getting decent pay under a Democrat. That being said, their FOP usually supported Republicans. The problem I see is that in major metro areas, there is usually two parts of the Democrat party. There is the minority part, which are a bunch of minority elites who have worked their way up through various means, as well as the elite whites who seem to _always_ have a law degree. Anyways, the minority side of the Democrats are usually the ones demand more control over the cops, but are usually OK with the pay. They are the ones pushing for quotas and such in terms of hiring minority officers and promoting minority candidates to higher admin positions. One minority city-county council member even tried to get funding for a citizens complaint officer in one of the township offices. That office just so happens to cater to a lot of lower income African-Americans. Funny how he didn't feel the upper class folks, of any race or background, needed similar offices in their township trustees office. It is stuff like that which usually put cops on the Republican side, at least in smaller metro areas. Our democrats even tried to basically steal off-duty work from officers. They said that the current off-duty work is too buddy-buddy for lack of a better word. It is all about friends helping friends. They wanted to force _all_ off-duty work to go through the department. This would have pretty much killed most off-duty, with all the legal forms to sign, the extra money it was going to costs the businesses to pay for gas, etc. etc.. It died a quick death. Like I said, mayors of both parties know their cops hold the city together. Like it or not, cops have also become your high risk situation social workers, so they are basically doing two jobs. If you tick off the cops, they will be come 100% reactive. They will do everything "by the book" which most of us know, means the job almost always can't be done. Policy books are written by admin. and lawyers in too many places. If cops around hear followed their policy manual, they would be taking three+ hours on an arrest in some cases. These are officers who have to streamline things because run loads are high.

PSP Ret.

My experience has been different from pulicords' and Dwntwn's. What they've stated was what I expected when I started in this line of work. I work for a state agency in the unionized northeast and the democrats are supposed to be pro-union. Well that just aint the case. I've served under four administrations. The two republican governors negotiated contracts fairly and we received decent pay raises and good benefits. Every contract negotiated under a democrat governor had to go to binding arbitration, mainly because the governors demanded give backs and offered raises that failed to even keep up with inflation. Under the first dem govenor during my career we were awarded an advantagious retirement package that he didn't like. First he threatened to take us to court and have the contract thrown out. When public opinion removed that option he engineered a law that made us the only union, public or private that is prohibited by law from negotiating for retirement benefits. The second governor is even worse. His representives routinely lie to the arbitration board during the hearings. When he didn't entirely get his own way during the last arbitration he refused to spend the money that the legislature put in the budget for new hires by claiming that our contract cost too much money. It has always been past practice to follow the existing contract if a contract expires before a new one is in place. Our illustrious governor has put a freeze on all step and longevity increases by claiming the state has no contract with us and is not obligated to pay them. Cops are the states' and cities' soldiers. For my money republicans treat us better in all respects than the democrats do.
    When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

Forum Member

It all varies. The mayor of Indy who gave the _city_ cops raises over the years, even though most still didn't like him, used to be the budget director (or something like that) for the state under a former Democrat governor. That governor treated the Indiana State Police like crap if you ask me. The local paper had a write-up about how back in the late 70s/early 80s, they would have 7,000 come and take the initial test for the job. Back in the 90s, they were lucky to get 800. Their pay was crap and I don't think they were treated well. Part of the problem is that some Democrats are truly big government elitist. They believe that the power to be a government enforcer should be enough. It took a Republican governor to finally get the Indiana State Police back on track.

Opionated
    We are looked at as a necessary evil to both sides. Some like us better than others. As posted above, we have either filed for or actually went through binding arbitration with our all Democratic mayor and council. They all love to call and try and get favors or attempt to order us around, but the Republicans seem more willing to pay us.

Fidelity~Zeal~Obedience
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwntwn317 View Post
    In any major metro area with about 750K+ population, the police dept. usually holds the key to the city if you ask me. That is especially true if there is a high % of lower income people in the city. Indy is a great city to look at. Cops here really started getting decent pay under a Democrat. That being said, their FOP usually supported Republicans. The problem I see is that in major metro areas, there is usually two parts of the Democrat party. There is the minority part, which are a bunch of minority elites who have worked their way up through various means, as well as the elite whites who seem to _always_ have a law degree. Anyways, the minority side of the Democrats are usually the ones demand more control over the cops, but are usually OK with the pay. They are the ones pushing for quotas and such in terms of hiring minority officers and promoting minority candidates to higher admin positions. One minority city-county council member even tried to get funding for a citizens complaint officer in one of the township offices. That office just so happens to cater to a lot of lower income African-Americans. Funny how he didn't feel the upper class folks, of any race or background, needed similar offices in their township trustees office. It is stuff like that which usually put cops on the Republican side, at least in smaller metro areas. Our democrats even tried to basically steal off-duty work from officers. They said that the current off-duty work is too buddy-buddy for lack of a better word. It is all about friends helping friends. They wanted to force _all_ off-duty work to go through the department. This would have pretty much killed most off-duty, with all the legal forms to sign, the extra money it was going to costs the businesses to pay for gas, etc. etc.. It died a quick death. Like I said, mayors of both parties know their cops hold the city together. Like it or not, cops have also become your high risk situation social workers, so they are basically doing two jobs. If you tick off the cops, they will be come 100% reactive. They will do everything "by the book" which most of us know, means the job almost always can't be done. Policy books are written by admin. and lawyers in too many places. If cops around hear followed their policy manual, they would be taking three+ hours on an arrest in some cases. These are officers who have to streamline things because run loads are high.
    Paragraphs......are your friend buddy.
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

"Retired"
    Quote Originally Posted by towncop View Post
    Paragraphs......are your friend buddy.
    I'm getting dizzy just looking at it!
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulicords View Post
    I'm getting dizzy just looking at it!
    Is that all? I got more than just dizzy.
    "It's not how they die, but how they live that makes them a hero."

Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    You are not a loser, you are the last winner.

Forum Member
    Down here, in my small town, most local elections are conducted without party labels. I don't associate the ups and downs of the city budget with either party.

Over the years I have seen some federal programs having an effect at my street level, such as CETA, from a Republican administration, and the LEAA from the Democrats. More recently, there were Homeland Security grants and the COPS hiring program, respectivly.