GetTough

Terminated/fired???

ok so i am wondering if there is a difference between the terms terminated and fired? i have heard that there is but i want to clear the air. anyone lend any advice??

Police Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by GetTough View Post
    ok so i am wondering if there is a difference between the terms terminated and fired? i have heard that there is but i want to clear the air. anyone lend any advice??
    Trump says, "YOU'RE FIRED". It wouldn't be as funny if he said, "you're terminated".....

well actually, maybe it would be funny.

GetTough
    haha your right it would be funny. so your saying they go hand and hand?

Forum Member
    Same thing.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

L-1
    Forum Member
    I guess a lot depends on who is using the term.

I spent seven years with an agency that hired a large number of seasonal personnel. At the end of the season, their employment was terminated. They were not discharged for cause. Instead, they were just limited term employees whose term limit had expired, mandating their separation. Nonetheless, when they applied to other agencies, BI's would see a Termination Report in their file and every so often I had to write a letter explaining that Termination did not mean something bad.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Car Ramrod
    L-1: Now, "fired" definitely has the connotation of "screw up, bad seed, etc.," however, "terminated" does, as you explained, have the ability to mean that the person's position was eliminated, but not necessarily for negative reasons (although that's a stretch; I never knew anyone who was terminated who wasn't "fired.." Lol). But, it's definitely not the same as, say, being laid off, which would suggest to a degree that the position might again be renewed. Yes? Either way, "terminated" still sort of comes with the idea that the agency no longer wants that person, but that the position itself has not been disolved. It's all very confusing (at least to me ...). Can you possible cite an example of how you were able to spin a termination into not being something bad?

L-1
    Forum Member
    That's why I say it depends on who uses the term.

In that agency, everyone who separated for any reason (voluntary resignation, retirement, seasonal employee whose time ran out, or someone who was fired) had a "Termination Report" completed on them, outlining the date their employment ended, the position they held at the time and whether they were eligible for rehire. All the BI's saw were the words "Termination Report" and their knees jerked. It probably should have been worded "Report of Separation" but that agency chose to use the word "Termination" instead. To them, it just signified that employment had ended and nothing more, but others misinterpreted it as meaning fired for cause.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Car Ramrod
    L-1 thank you for the clarification. Now I get it!

Forum Member

To amplify L-1's reply, and hopefully clarify the term even more for you, let me offer this example. Each year, at tax time, the Alabama Dept of Revenue hires a number of "Temporary Employees". These are not Merit System(Civil Service) employees. They are hired with the full understanding that their services will no longer be needed at the end of the tax season. Their personnel files will indicate they were "Terminated". When an applicant for a police agency has such a "termination" in his/her file, it behoves them to explain the reason for the "Termination". All things being equal, a "termination" under these circumstances would not be detrimental to the applicant.