Thread: CA POST Academy

WWW.CAPATROL.COM

CA POST Academy

I searched and didn't find an answer to my question.

How do you get a POST certificate? I know you can get hired to a Dept. and upon completion of academy, you get one. What I want to do is go to an academy to get POST Certified, then apply to any Dept. as a lateral.

We have a Corrections Academy I can take in town(through my local college) that has a Core Class, a PC 832, and a firearms course, but is this going to qualify as a POST Cert. that I could use to lateral?

Any help would be awesome.

Forum Member
    This is from POST's website:

Basic Certificate

The Basic Certificate is awarded, as defined in Commission Procedure F-1-5 (doc) to currently full-time peace officers of a POST-participating agency who have satisfactorily completed the prerequisite Basic Course requirement and the employing agency’s probationary period.

Basically you don't get your Basic POST certificate until you've done an academy and you pass a probation period at an agency.. Then you can lateral to another agency. You might as well just try to get hired by the agency you want from the start.

WWW.CAPATROL.COM
    Okay. That's what I thought. If anyone wants to comment on the Corrections Academy feel free.

Forum Member
    To answer the 2nd half of your question, that Corrections Academy doesn't sound like it would cover it.. You need a minimum of 664 hours of training.. Here's a list of academy's that meet the Basic POST requirements

http://www.post.ca.gov/Training/academies.asp

WWW.CAPATROL.COM
    Cool deal. That will save me some time and money.

Molon Labe
    Something to check before you spend your money on an academy; not every agency accepts just any academy for training....some require that you go through their academy....whether you have a POST certificate or not.....
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Forum Member

Your Corrections Academy is likely to be STC, not POST certified.

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Divisions_Boa...ities.html#STC