Forum Member

Religion in Law Enforcement

Last edited by Fauxnetikz; 05-28-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Molon Labe
    1. Yes
    2. They dont
    3. No
    4. N/A
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

FIR NA DLI "MEN OF LAW"

1. Yes, but I don't practice a religion
    2. No, I took an oath to uphold the law not interpret it according to faith.
    3. Not one bit, I know a lot of great cops thats aren't religious.
    4. n/a
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Forum Member

Same as LA DEP.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LA DEP View Post
    1. Yes
    2. They dont
    3. No
    4. N/A
    X-2. I'm a Catholic. I enforce the law, not Catholicism. Some of the best cops I've known had strong religious principles. Some of the best cops I've ever known, had no particular religious beliefs.

An Obvious problem
    +1 to the above.

One of my favorite lines from the movies is from "Patton"

Reporter: We saw a bible next to your bed general, do you read it?

Patton: Yes, every God$$$m day
    Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Opionated
    Keep your beliefs to yourself. Do your job as per the standards set forth by the state and agency that you work for. I believe in GOD, but have some serious issues with organized religion, mainly Catholicism. Religions tends not to evolve and degrades many. I once had a fellow officer tell me, very causally during a conversation, that I was going to burn in hell because I was not born again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fauxnetikz View Post
    Good afternoon, all.

I'd like to know what you would answer to the following questions:

1. Do you consider yourself a religious person?
    I'm not "religious", I'm a Christian.

2. If so, how would you say that your personal beliefs affect your duties as a LEO compared to those who do not share them, if at all?
    My personal beliefs do not play into my Law Enforcement duties.

3. If you're religious, is it your feeling that those who are not are somehow less-suited to this occupation?
    Not at all.
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Forum Member

1. No
    2. N/A
    3. N/A
    4. That depends.

Half Way to AARP
    1. Yes. I'm Catholic.
    2. Doesn't affect my duties.
    3. No.
    4. N/A

Waingro...where is he?
    1. no
    2. n/a
    3. n/a
    4. no
    Perseverate In Pugna

The Heat
    Yes, I am a Christian. It doesnt affect my job. I think however many religious officers do use it as a base of moral standard. For example, If someone is taking their last breath, I would most definately pray with them. I believe it doesnt effect me if I was to use my firearm, as I have no problem with saving lives.

The movie The North Hollywood Shootout has a scene in it when the officer gives a Bible to the young kid. It was a neat clip.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country." President John F. Kennedy

The Limey

1. I'm not a religious person, hence;
    2. N/A and;
    3. N/A but;
    4. No, I don't feel that those who are religious are somehow less-suited to this occupation.

Why do you ask, out of curiosity?
    I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

jakflak

Yes

2. If so, how would you say that your personal beliefs affect your duties as a LEO compared to those who do not share them, if at all?

I believe God has my back if I do my job with integrity. I also firmly believe God doesn't like public officials without integrity so it's a double edged sword.

And in more than one pressure situation I've prayed a prayer that contained more cuss words than God is probably used to hearing, but He still listens.

3. If you're religious, is it your feeling that those who are not are somehow less-suited to this occupation?

I think those without God in their lives have a distinct disadvantage in life. "There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus” Blaise Pascal

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cockney Corner. View Post
    1. I'm not a religious person, hence;
    2. N/A and;
    3. N/A but;
    4. No, I don't feel that those who are religious are somehow less-suited to this occupation.

Why do you ask, out of curiosity?
    Thanks Cockney!! OP, again, just out of curiosity, why do you ask?

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Last edited by Fauxnetikz; 05-28-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Forum Member

I was just curious, mainly.

I have many friends on both sides of the religious fence, and asked these same questions, numbers 3 and 4 would each have several yes' and no's.

As I am going to begin my application process to law enforcement within the next few months, I was curious to see if the wide variance in answers would remain the same amongst my fellow officers as it does amongst my current acquaintances. I've seen other public figures (politicians mainly) whose actions seem to be greatly affected by their personal beliefs, but I wanted to hear it from you all rather than draw my conclusions from another sample pool.

I'm glad to see that many of you pride yourselves on the integrity with which you carry out your law enforcement duties. Thanks for your answers.
    Yes, and as we find out later on, a good many of the politicians that run on a high moral platform are hypocrits. Politicans will do and say about anything to get a vote!

Forum Member

1. 100% Athiest

2. Has no bearing on how I do my job.

3. N/A

4. Yes, because they can't figure out things on their own.
    "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Forum Member
    Religion really isn't that big a deal in LE from what I've seen. I've worked with guys for years and have NO idea what they're religious beliefs might be.

So, that said:
    1. Not particularly
    2. Not at all
    3. No
    4. No

One man Wolfpack

No, I was raised Catholic. I decided that religion was just a bunch of clubs when I heard the Baptists were using the same instruction manual.

My beliefs do not affect me. I appreciate religion in society, because there is a large segment of the population that only behaves because they are afraid of some eternal retribution. Whatever keeps them in line.

I think I'm doing pretty good.

4. If you are not religious, is it your feeling that those who are religious are somehow less-suited to this occupation?

If religion is what helps you get through the day, so be it.

Thank you for your time and answers.
    M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Forum Member

Good afternoon, all.

I'd like to know what you would answer to the following questions:

4. If you are not religious, is it your feeling that those who are religious are somehow less-suited to this occupation?

Thank you for your time and answers.
    1. yes
    2.Personally, gives me a value system when trying to decide how to best handle a sensitive situation on the street. I cant speak for other officers, just because theyre not religious doesnt mean they dont have values.
    3.No
    4.N/A

Forum Member

Not anymore. Used to be a fundamentalist christian. I didn't wear it on my sleeve though.

My lack of religious belief doesn't affect my duties at all. Like my former christian life, I don't wear my atheism on my sleeve. Occasionally, I still get mistaken for being a christian.

Not applicable since I'm not religious. I've been a police officer for almost 17 years. The last 5-6 years or so as an atheist. I think I'm doing okay.

Matters of religion don't come up much at work. No one I currently work with is openly "religious". In the past, two of the most openly religious officers working for my department ended up getting into a bunch of doo doo and had to resign. (one was drugs/alcohol, the other was sexual) I think their religiosity was a cover for some bad behavior in their lives.
    Last edited by JaseFifty1; 10-24-2008 at 11:03 AM.

Cherub of Justice
    HHmmmm......

This hasn't turned ugly and vicious yet.

What happened?
    You can now follow me on twitter.

Gang Tactic Mode

Extremely

They really don't affect my duties a whole lot. I don't look down on the people I deal with. When I have gone to a dangerous call (man with a gun, armed robbery, etc) I almost always have said, "Lord be with me" aloud. I know I have said that while the camera in the squad has been rolling, but none of my brass has ever said anything to me.

My biggest issue is that I don't swear. I haven't said a cuss word aloud in probably 13+ years. It's hard to dictate reports when I have to quote someone who was using foul language. A lot of times I will be vague in the initial report and then type the profanities in when I review the report. Either that or I will just type the report myself.

No. Silly question.

N/A
    "I assume you all have guns and crack."