Forum Member

Legal age to go to a firing range

Hey all, several buddies of mine from school were talking about going to firing ranges and how fun it is, and that got me curious. How old do you have to be to go to one? I believe you must be 21 to own a handgun and 18 for a shotgun/semi-auto rifle?

I just wanted to go to see what its like, I just turned 20 less than a week ago. Would hate to get turned away at the door.... thanks in advance

Forum Member

I think its up to the range. I would call ahead and ask. You are going to shoot not to purchase a gun. Just my thoughts
    Brandon
    Dispatcher Riverside County Sheriff

Forum Member
    I was shooting at 6 years old. It depends on the range, type of gun your firing and who is watching that person shoot.

Being 18 you can go to any range. You can't own a pistol but you can shoot one.

Back at Zero!

You can own a handgun at the age of 18 in the State of California. You cannot purchase it, but ownership can legally be transferred to you by a parent, spouse, legal guardian via an operation of law transfer.
    Stay Safe,
    - J.R.
    ----------------
    HONOR FIRST
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted men long enough and liked it, never really care for hunting anything else thereafter." - Ernest Hemmingway

Forum Member

My friend takes his 6 year old to the firing line in huntington beach. Just have to watch him really close.

Courteous Applicant
    FYI: Firing Line won't sell you ammo if you are under 21. They require you to use their ammo if you rent from them, so no rental if you are under 21.

Forum Member

when i was 6 or 7 my dad would take me all the time, that was untill i tried his s&w 40 and shot out the zipline/cable and my dad had to pay some ridiculous fee to replace it. im a great shot now but he wont ever let that story down.

WWW.CAPATROL.COM
    Our outdoor range, you can be whatever age, BUT our sh1tty indoor range, you have to pay an additional fee if your under 16 and you can not use your own ammo no matter what age you are. So I don't ever go there.

Forum Member

I was shooting at 5 years old with my father and competing at 8 years old. Usually it is up to the Range Master and/or Range policy's. Being a father I also feel it is a parent responsibilty to understand if his/her child has the maturity and discipline to be at a range. Just my .02

In the Woods

Get some fresh air and go to an outdoor range. If you are in the LA area there are several to choose from. Burro Canyon (Hwy 39), The Angeles Range (Little Tujunga), and A Place To Shoot (San Francisquito Canyon / Santa Clarita) come to mind. A lot more variety of shooting when you are outside: rifle, handgun, steel, clays, paper, whatever you want.

Forum Member

OCSD's range on Katella requires the shooter to be minimum age of 16.