Forum Member

Morning of PT test

Just a quick question. What would be a filling, but not bogging down breakfast to eat before a PT test? I don't want to be running around feeling nauseus with heavy foods in my stomach during the 1.5 mile. What did you eat the morning of your PT?

Thanks!

Forum Member

I eat yogurt and fruit

Forum Member

banana / half peanut butter sandwich / protein shake and you're ready to own

Forum Member

Awesome, sounds perfect. Thanks a lot to both.

Forum Member

best of luck, dont forget to stretch real good ... consume decent liquids so u dont cramp up

One man Wolfpack
    I was always a fan of cold Pizza for breakfast before PT.

The trick is to do PT on your own enough that the day of the PAT is not a big deal.

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Forum Member
    What I always have 1.5-2 hours before a workout-2 tablespoons of all natural peanut butter and 8 oz. green tea. I feel full of energy all the way though the workout and never too full to move.

Surfing Socal
    Oatmeal with protien powder mixed in it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by M-11 View Post
    I was always a fan of cold Pizza for breakfast before PT.

The trick is to do PT on your own enough that the day of the PAT is not a big deal.

M-11
    I run and PT every day, however I usually work out at 6-7PM, so I have already eaten breakfast and lunch, and usually eat a protein bar before I go out to the gym so I have some carbs, protein and calories in me before I start working out. The PT tests are usually in the morning, and I don't know what to start my stomach on in the morning before doing them, without eating too much and getting stomach sick or cramping in the last 3 minutes of the 1.5mi.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I will take a few of these and put them together for a combo breakfast.

Never give up!!!
    When I was doing a fitness class they said to eat something that is 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein. Cliff bars are pretty close to this and are pretty filling http://www.clifbarstore.com/index.asp I get them at my local grocery store for about a buck a piece
    This is my Glock, there are many like it, but this one is mine

"Anything is possible to he who dares" A.G. Spalding

Forum Member
    I am going to go ahead and give you a different perspective -- my polite way if saying I disagree with everyone else!

When I was in the army we would go to formation and then split into squad level and do PT, which involved mainly Push ups, situps, and a run, nothing exotic when I was in. After PT we would shower and then eat breakfast. Same thing on the morning of a PT test we would do our PT test and then eat.

I run a lot of races mainly 10Ks and before the race I eat... nothing! I hydrate with water and sports drinks for days beforehand and I will have one the morning of the race. I drink around 8ozs of a sports drink, which provides plenty of carbs.

We have an annual PT test for my job and I have tested for another agency so I have done a fair amount of PT tests and the most I will eat is a bite out of a banana if anything and 8 oz of a sports drink. I run at a decent pace so if I had a protein shake before the run I would be throwing up before one mile.

If you are going to eat then what not to have is any kind of dairy products or fried food, and definately don't eat anything new to your system you haven't eaten before.

I would try and find out the time difference between when you get up PT test. Ideally you don't want to be up at 6:00am and not PT until 11:00am as then the empty stomach may hurt you, though I drove to NJ from Boston to take the NJSP PT test and did well without eating in over 12hours and sleeping in over 24hours...

I am not hitting on all the variables that come into play so I would suggest giving a few trial runs in the morning and see what fits best for you taking into consideration they normally do pushups , situps, then the 1.5mile run typically for the cooper testing. Also remember it could be a few hours from when you wake up until when you actually test.

Either way, good luck in the process...