Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: hugging a cop

All Sas and Sarcasm!

hugging a cop

IOWA CITY, Iowa - A hug has landed an Iowa City man in hot water. An Iowa City man who thought a police officer just "needed a hug" faces several charges including assault on a peace officer and public intoxication.

Police said a 21-year-old man was arrested on Saturday. According to police records, the man ran up to the officer and stuck out his arms.

The officer told him to "get away," but the man didn't take the hint and embraced the officer.

When the officer told the man to put his hands behind his head, he refused. He was then handcuffed.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26948434/?GT1=43001

now who doesn't like a little love every now and then???
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

Forum Member
    I see it happen all the time in Wrigleyville. Those drunk Cubs fans are always getting touchy feely with officers. I've never seen a offficer arrest one of em, I'm guessing they're just used to it by now.

....Dumb Cubs fans.

Go Sox! WooHoo!
    Gov Blagojevich - "I'am the American dream...."

Forum Member
    That's kind of lame that he's getting charges for that. If he didn't proceed to actually do anything obviously wrong that is.
    When talking to a fool, be sure he isn't doing the same.

Forum Member

Eclipse - its completely obvious you're not a sworn officer. So I'll explain to you why I would have charged similarly.

In the same situation, I have no idea who this guy is. What, if any, weapons he has. He's probably obviously intoxicated, so his judgement is off. I have plenty of weapon on my waist. What's to stop him from trying to "hug" me as a ploy of getting me restrained while his buddy grabs my baton, cuffs or even gun?

Stay Aware 24-7
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse27 View Post
    That's kind of lame that he's getting charges for that. If he didn't proceed to actually do anything obviously wrong that is.
    If you have never worked in the shoes of a Peace Officer you really can't say he is wrong/lame. LEO's see life in another perspective. Most LEO's want to be normal BUT they cant do to alot of experiences on the field.

The guy RAN at the Officer DAMMMMM if I had a guy Run at me I would already be thinking the worse. Is he just gonna try to tackle me down or is he gonna bring out a weapon?? Plus he gave him a direct order to stop and get away - he is lucky he didn't get tazed.

Sorry but that is how you have to be if you want to survive on the field.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.......
    Train Hard!!! Fight Smart

jakflak
    Eclipse: most people who close distance with me with their arms outstretched aren't there to hug me.

Never, never, never hug a male cop unless you're a really, really hot chick.

jakflak
    Eclipse: most people who close distance with me with their arms outstretched aren't there to hug me.

Forum Member
    I read that in the paper .....figured the guy stepped out if line and the arrest was fine. I am not LEO, but, hey..if you are told to step back and you dont , that is just disobedience and must be dealt with. How did this LEO know this moron wasnt going to hurt him......dont touch the cops if they tell you to back away...hello...that is just a given.
    "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

bird of prey

Quote Originally Posted by jakflak View Post

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA i just dont even have a response to this, except for this...and this...
    dubbed code name: Alien #69

Molon Labe
    Spoken like the true police 'expert'......

In most areas out here, he wouldn't have just been charged.....he would have been hospitalized.....then charged......

Don't EVER touch a cop without asking first.......training is likely to take over.....you wont like the results.....
    Last edited by LA DEP; 09-30-2008 at 02:15 PM.
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Forum Member

Well sounds like he was warned, so I don't see a problem with it.

However there is one situation, if accurately conveyed to me that I have a problem with. Granted its a "friend of a friend" type of story, but if what is said is true it sucks.

The town where I went to college has had a problem with the Mardi Gras celebration getting too out of hand. Thus several hundred cops were put on patrol just in case. So this guy comes down the street and puts his hand up in the "high five" position to the cop. He was then promptly arrested for assault on a police officer. Even if he beat the charges, he still has this on his official record, so doesn't sound right to me.

How would some of you react in a situation like the one described?

Forum Member

don't hug me and we're all fine. I don't get it why can't we just shake hands in america what's with all this touchy feely crap. (if a cute lady hugs me that's okay)

Forum Member

A friend of a friend who's a cop there says the guy tried to smack him during a street biotch smack down after too many brews and to close proximity

Come on, that's third or fourth hand crap at best. Those Mardi Gras town police are usually pretty laid back considering the street festivities and the usual problem like arguments and assaults and baring of body parts.

Someone wants sympathy and aren't going to get it from me. Better yet, stay away from MG all together and you wont be falsely accused right ?

All Sas and Sarcasm!
    Can't find it but there was a case where the defendant beat the charges and then shook hands with the cop, judge and prosacutor. He had something (he called it anoited oil) and made them sick. The Judge slammed him for contempt once he felt (whatever) he had on his hands on him. The defendant said, no hard feelings........but it made them sick.

I wouldn't hug a cop on the street, like above good way to get tazed.
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

forum member
    People who try to hug us for whatever reasons. Personally I don't like it and if they ask I always say NO!

It's a space thing, officer safety etc....I don't even like to shake hands. Call it whatever you want to.....but that's just me!
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Bellatrix and I :)
    Quote Originally Posted by deputy x 2 View Post
    People who try to hug us for whatever reasons. Personally I don't like it and if they ask I always say NO!

It's a space thing, officer safety etc....I don't even like to shake hands. Call it whatever you want to.....but that's just me!
    I saw an episode of cops and the lady asked to hug the cop, he said no its against his depts policy...

No offence but hugging a cop is similar to hugging a tree all you feel is the stiff vest up against you and a bunch of belt gear against your waist… not that I wouldn’t like to hug every cop I meet to say “thank you” but its clearly a safety issue… and I’m not a weirdo or badge bunny LOL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by iluvpopo View Post
    I saw an episode of cops and the lady asked to hug the cop, he said no its against his depts policy...

No offence but hugging a cop is similar to hugging a tree all you feel is the stiff vest up against you and a bunch of belt gear against your waist… not that I wouldn’t like to hug every cop I meet to say “thank you” but its clearly a safety issue… and I’m not a weirdo or badge bunny LOL

asullivan will be devastated

Resident Crossfitter

That guy is an idiot, going up and trying to hug a police officer is a stupid thing to do and he is very lucky he didn't get put down hard. That's a huge officer safety issue for obvious reason that anyone should be able to understand.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LA DEP View Post
    Spoken like the true police 'expert'......

In most areas out here, he wouldn't have just been charged.....he would have been hospitalized.....then charged......

Don't EVER touch a cop without asking first.......training is likely to take over.....you wont like the results.....
    Why hospitalized? Thats sounds to me like purposeful infliction of great bodily injury to me. Kind of a harsh price to pay for being a drunken idiot.

Molon Labe
    Quote Originally Posted by bigislander72 View Post
    Why hospitalized? Thats sounds to me like purposeful infliction of great bodily injury to me. Kind of a harsh price to pay for being a drunken idiot.
    Which is what we are trained to do.....an 'assaultive or high risk' suspect means that we respond with impact weapons/taser/personal weapons.....

we dont know he is drunk idiot, and dont handle him that way.....he is viewed as a threat, and is ELIMINATED as a threat as quickly as possible......Rule #1 is to go home at night.........everything else is secondary.....

bottom line is to NEVER touch someone without permission......my initial response (if surprised) would probably be an elbow to the face......followed by a HARD takedown to the ground......and that is presuming that I am by myself.....if I am with a partner, then the suspect gets some lovin from them too.......

We have a MUCH different mindset than you do......

EDIT TO ADD: also, if we use force on someone, and they have even a slight injury or boo-boo, then we have to take them to the ER to get 'medically cleared for booking'.......
    Last edited by LA DEP; 09-30-2008 at 04:47 PM.
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Forum Member
    After reading this, I would say:
    - Arrest, cuff & stuff the drunk: yes;
    - Hold the drunk in cells until sober: yes;
    - Charge for assault: not me;
    - Charge for Drunk In Public Place: yes, if applicable (we HAVE to know that the "client" has been subject of "catch and release" at least twice in previous 12 months up here);
    - Accepting a hug just because it is from a "hot" person (of whatever of the multiple sexual orientations twists your beany propeller): not really a good move, tactically, is it gals and not-girl-like? If you do NOT know the "hottie", who is to say that s/he is NOT a threat just wrapped in sexiness?

Alcohol and sex: the reasons most of us are never going to be unemployed.
    1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29: RCMP RM 32936. Just callin' 'em as I sees 'em! PM full - e-mail me. House paid, best health of my life, 33+ years married to the same hot woman, triple-dipping, lots of grand-kids, long dark luxurious hair - yep, retired is EXCELLENT!

Bellatrix and I :)
    Quote Originally Posted by katseiye View Post
    [/B]

asullivan will be devastated
    Did I miss something? I'm sure it was something funny... so LOL

Forum Member
    I hug people while at work. Does it matter that the huggee is usually on the ground squirming and being cuffed?

Ive actually been hugged a lot while working and every time the hugger has been under 10 yrs old, thats cool.
    LAPD

Hoosier and proud :D
    Bad move on that guys part.... Never hug an officer. Heck, never hug anyone you dont know! I refuse hugs from anyone I dont know, and I only shake hands with SOME people if I feel comfortable doing so. (Usually that means they dont have their hands in their pockets, we've had a good encounter, theyre clean, etc) And Im not even an officer! Anyone who tries to hug me, whether they know me or not, better get permission first. Otherwise theyre getting shoved away, and maybe worse if they dont get the hint. No means no. Keep trying and Ill make sure you understand the word "no".
    "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

Police: "Stop and we'll shoot!"
    Dilbert: "Stop AND we'll shoot? If you're gonna shoot, why should we stop?"
    Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by iluvpopo View Post
    Did I miss something? I'm sure it was something funny... so LOL
    asullivan seems to be the forum lethario, although i'm sure its all in jest and good fun

Page 1 of 3 123 Last