Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

30+mph over the speed limit law changed?

I always thought if you got caught going 30mph or more, over the speed limit here in FL, it was a mandatory court appearance... I just came across this on google... Maybe some of you FHPs can tell me if this is true or not.

Bad news for Florida riders, as of October 1st, anyone caught doing 30 over in that state faces confiscation of their vehicle, five to ten years in prison and a ten-year license suspension. We say ‘anyone’ because bill HB 137, which was originally targeted at motorcyclists, was amended to apply to all vehicles.

State Representative Carlos Lopez-Cantera introduced the bill to the Florida State Legislature last November after witnessing motorcycle riders wheelying and cutting through traffic on a ride-along with Miami police. The bill has understandably created an uproar in the motorcycle community, but has experienced little opposition from the motorcycle industry and lobby groups.

A lobbyist representing ABATE did express concerns that the bill unfairly targeted motorcyclists, arguing that penalties for motorists who violate motorcycle rider’s right of way, injuring or killing them, are substantially lower.

While the bill was altered to include all vehicles, the anti-motorcycle language remains, specifically that which discusses the revocation of the motorcycle endorsement.

Forum Member

That would be great, but I highly doubt the 5-10 years in prison is true. Even reckless driving (meaning 30 over plus a whole lot of in and out and spinning in circles and making your car do back flips) is only a misdemeanor and punishable by no more than 1 year in jail.

Macho Man

Generally 30+ means scraping you off the road, correct?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudChris View Post
    That would be great, but I highly doubt the 5-10 years in prison is true. Even reckless driving (meaning 30 over plus a whole lot of in and out and spinning in circles and making your car do back flips) is only a misdemeanor and punishable by no more than 1 year in jail.
    Same thing I was thinking. reckless driving, street racing, etc... they're all misdemeanors. That's why I posted this to see if this was true.

Forum Member

Good thing this wasn't in effect when I got my 70 in a 40 speeding ticked back in November of 2006. Luckily during the court appearance the officer did not show off and I got a very lucky break

Forum Member

So 85 in a 55 gets you 5-10? I don't think so. That's what the Florida HR 187 bill says, but I don't think it would pass muster in the courts, and as far as I know, it's only been passed in committee, so it's still only political posturing, not state law.

Forum Member

Well we got our list of new/revised laws as of Oct 1 last week and I didn't see anything like that. In some other states 30+ over the limit is per se for reckless driving (meaning 30 over is assumed to be reckless just like .08 BAC is per se or assumed to be impaired). I wish they would make it that way here also.

I've really only had 30 over twice. One of them, by the time I got turned around and after him his tail lights were blended in with the other ones and I had no clue where he went. The one I caught was also DUI and had cocaine. I'm sure the guys that work the interstate see it more than we do in the city (although we do have roads where you could easily get 30 over... and we do routinely on code runs).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by luis.FL07 View Post
    Good thing this wasn't in effect when I got my 70 in a 40 speeding ticked back in November of 2006. Luckily during the court appearance the officer did not show off and I got a very lucky break
    Hope you still plan on putting that in your BI. Although I'm sure at the time you thought you had a good reason for it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by StudChris View Post
    Hope you still plan on putting that in your BI. Although I'm sure at the time you thought you had a good reason for it.
    It was included in all of my BI packets

mmmm Beer
    NOTES: Effective Oct. 1, 2008, a new speeding violation can be written
    under 316.1926(2) for violators who exceed the speed limit in
    excess of 50 mph. * Fines for 1st offense is $1,000, 2nd offense
    is $2,500 and 3rd offense is $5,000.

straight from Florida Uniform Traffic Citation Manual - Appendix C

http://hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/utc/

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gomets11 View Post
    NOTES: Effective Oct. 1, 2008, a new speeding violation can be written
    under 316.1926(2) for violators who exceed the speed limit in
    excess of 50 mph. * Fines for 1st offense is $1,000, 2nd offense
    is $2,500 and 3rd offense is $5,000.

straight from Florida Uniform Traffic Citation Manual - Appendix C

http://hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/utc/
    Thank alot brother! I need to get me the 2008 MDPD traffic handbook, or might as well be getting the 2009 soon. I'm still reading from the 2007.

Armed Babysitter

Beat me to it:

30 over the speed limit is still only a "mandatory court appearance" and a fine of just over $300.

50 Over the speed limit, beginning October 1st, is a $1,000 fine - up to jail time for 3rd conviction.

Can also be charged with "reckless driving" at the same time.

Forum Member

I was caught going like 100 in a 70 on my way to miami. I didnt even realize I was going that fast seeing that alligator alley is filled with nothing but trees. He didn't gun me down and to tell you the truth he did not even know how fast I was really going. When I was applying to pd's I had to get that information and he put down 104 in a 70 which was kind of messed up but whatever it happened in 06 so what can you do. I though I was going to get a court date but he didn't I just paid the ticket and im guessing everything was ok from there.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USFbull View Post
    I was caught going like 100 in a 70 on my way to miami. I didnt even realize I was going that fast seeing that alligator alley is filled with nothing but trees. He didn't gun me down and to tell you the truth he did not even know how fast I was really going. When I was applying to pd's I had to get that information and he put down 104 in a 70 which was kind of messed up but whatever it happened in 06 so what can you do. I though I was going to get a court date but he didn't I just paid the ticket and im guessing everything was ok from there.
    How do you know? Obviously he had to do over 100mph just to catch up to you. The speedometer on a LEO's car is just as good as a radar gun.

Forum Member

Right But If He Had To Cut Across A Grass Median On 75, Make A U-turn He Is Obviously Going To Have To Put The Foot On The Gas On His Charger To Get Me

Forum Member

Make A U-turn He Is Obviously Going To Have To Put The Foot On The Gas On His Charger To Get Me.

They had Chargers in 2006?

Forum Member

Yea it was funny because I saw it on the other side of the hwy and was like "Thats a awesome car" and then a few minutes later that same car that was heading the total opposite direction was behind me. I think it was Broward County but I dont remember which department

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USFbull View Post
    Yea it was funny because I saw it on the other side of the hwy and was like "Thats a awesome car" and then a few minutes later that same car that was heading the total opposite direction was behind me. I think it was Broward County but I dont remember which department
    Probably was BSO. I don't think FHP has sent out their marked cars on the street yet.

Some departments have radars/lasers that capture the speed of on-coming traffic.

Armed Babysitter

It was probably Miccosukee (SP?) PD, that has some jurisdiction along I-75. They have dark colored Chargers (marked and unmarked).

Laser CAN NOT be done while moving, it had to be Radar or he paced you (used his speedometer).

Back on topic though 30+ speed limit, is still manadatory court. ($344 fine in Miami-Dade - somewhat less in other counties)

Beginning Oct 1, speed 50+ speed limit is $1000 fine (1st offense).. And you can still be charged with Reckless Driving.

3rd conviction could be charged as a felony

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ERMDPD View Post
    Probably was BSO. I don't think FHP has sent out their marked cars on the street yet.

Some departments have radars/lasers that capture the speed of on-coming traffic.
    Cars are on the street already. Seen a marked FHP Charger heading north on US-1 near 288th St. in Homestead last month. Very nice car

Forum Member
    Cars are on the street already. Seen a marked FHP Charger heading north on US-1 near 288th St. in Homestead last month. Very nice car
    Thats right about where I live!! Haven't seen one yet.

Forum Member

Might be a trooper that lives in the area. I haven''t seen the car after that day and I live down that area aswell

Forum Member

There's an all Black unmarked FHP Charger in Broward. Tinted out too. It's very stealth lookin'.
    It is Attitude, not circumstance, that makes Success possible even in the most unlikely conditions.

Forum Member

Neither have I. I saw the unmarked black charger in Broward though the other day.

Forum Member

In MD on Federal Highways,

30+ =$275 + 25 processing fee
    40+=520 + 25.

Anything over 100= 3 days in jail.......

103+ usually judges discreation, but after 104 they just add the number of days in jail to the speeed .. ex 104=4 day 110=10 days, 120=20 days, etc.

That being saad I do not know of any jurisdiction that will jail you for 5 years or more, for a speeding infraction. I guess if you get convicted of some type of reckless endangerment felony, MAYBE, but it sounds like a STRETCH........ big time.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last